Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Microham Micro Keyer II Help

Reviews Summary for Microham Micro Keyer II
Microham Micro Keyer II Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $430
Description: microKEYER II™ is the most powerful All-In-One single radio multi-mode USB interface and sound card for CW, SSB, AM, FM, and digital modes (RTTY, PSK31, SSTV, APRS, PACKET, and many others) available anywhere.

Using a single USB port, microKEYER II can interface with any Windows-based logging or control program to run any FSK, CW , AFSK, SSB, AM, or FM mode.

microKEYER II also includes a rig control interface (CAT/CI- V) with interfaces for all supported radios, a powerful CW memory keyer, and a buffer for keying a Power Amplifier and LNA switcher.
More info: http://microham-usa.com/

You can write your own review of the Microham Micro Keyer II.

NT6X Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2014 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent product! My only complaint is the location of the power switch being on the back of the unit. A major inconvenience.

N8WRL Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Best-in-class  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an excellent product with fantastic support, both from the manufacturer and the yahoo group. Follow the instructions carefully and you'll be very pleased with the flexibility. I've been experimenting with different digital modes lately and it is sooo easy to install a new program, point it at a configured sound-card and CAT port to my rig and have it all just work. I've paired mine with a Station Master and it is a killer combination. I'm on a mission to reduce the number of little boxes in my shack and MKII goes a long way towards helping me make that happen!

NS3L Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Top Interface.. Period..!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fantastic interface..!!!

Well worth what would be considered premium $$'s

I've just completed the last of the total interface of my new microHam microKeyer II to my Icom IC-7600 station with CAT control not only my Window's 8.0 PC, but also to my MacBook Pro running Maverick's OS which runs my primary logger, MacLoggerDX...!! This thing is dynamite..!! Simplifies everything..

As a casual/frequent contester, I primarily wanted to start weaning myself from some of the IC-7600's built in functions and start using WriteLog.

I'm now able to control CW keying with WinKey for CW keying, and other functions like the ability to work better FSK RTTY in contests, etc...

I took my time and in a little over a week managed to have all hardware and software running perfectly thanks to all the info at K9JY's blog, the info available at microHam. As for the FSK aspect, all the info available at RTTYContesting's site is invaluable..!!

I've successfully integrated the microKeyer II and my IC-7600 to run WriteLog, WinKey, MMTTY, MMTTY Plug-in for WriteLog, FLDIGI, MMSSTV, WSJT-X, WSPR-X, ROSV7.2.7, EasyPal D-SSTV, And others.. All running under the MK II's Router..

My IC-7600 is performing perfectly..!!.

I was even able to use my Heil Pro Headset on the front mic connector with the HC-4 element without issues.. Just read the instructions if you have something other like an iC headset, those have interconnect issues.. Had everything needed as far as hardware with the exception of a 1/4 phono plug to RCA adapter for my Heil Headset foot switch and hand key switch.. Using a Radio Shack #274-909 adapter solved that problem. Once the interconnect was done, I programmed all the voice memories in minutes..

To say that the MK2 is overly complicated is not entirely true.. It takes patients, and mind control to force yourself to read the instructions, review and understand your station hardware, and the software and installation notes. Simply using careful consideration. Don't move headstrong into an attempt to install and interface in just a few hours.. There is a learning curve..!!! Step by step..

This is by far the best interface I've ever had yet... It's the mainstay controller now.. the MK2 replaces a SignaLink USB which gave me great service but was too limited..

If your considering a microKeyer II, know that you're getting the best for the money.. Take your time and read everything available on the unit and the software packages you plan to use.. There is a bit of sequencing between hardware and software installs, however, it'll save much time and tinkering later..

I might add.. microHam offers fast service too..!! Ordered on a Thursday, had it in my hand by postal 2 days later.. Can't beat that..

Good Luck, and see you out there..
Steve NS3L
Nazareth, Pa. FN20hq

IW1QN Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2013 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
What an Excellent Interface!!!
I have 2 MicroKEYER II, one for my FT-2000D and 2° for my Ts-590.
I use These interface and I Appreciated the quality of MicroKEYER II.
I use also MicroKEYER II in Contest site, and works very Good.
In RTTY the Internal Soundcard of the Interface help with Low and Poor signal.
If You make Contest, You must have MicroHAM Product.

SV8RX Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2013 23:58 Send this review to a friend
The king!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Absolutely great device.Fine hardware and excellent software (frequently updated). The virtual com port router is a unique feature (you do not need the serial port of your computer any more). I love it. You can do everything you could desire with this rig. True FSK, two CAT programs connected simultaneously,PTT sequencer for your linear, audio recording and transmitting... to mention the most impressive. I use it with my FtDx5000D, MixW, HRD, PPC-5000 RDX cluster, every single day. I ran two major RTTY contests. Never disappointed me. It requires some time to set up, let say a couple of hours, but what do you expect from such an incredible machine?

AK6ZZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2013 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Great product   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own a Microkeyer 2 and it is a great piece of gear. It is the center piece of controlling my shack. It is a bit complicated to get connected and integrated but once you do it is an amazing piece of gear. I currently have it integrated with my K3, my SPE 1K and my Steppir three element. It along with my SPE 1K, which controls my antennas awesomely, make my shack completely remote capable as well as a pleasure to operate at home. It also does well with digital modes which is almost an afterthought.

Figuring out CW keying was a major challenge for me and the technical support is not terribly pleasant. Expect being treated like an idiot when asking for help and being told to read the manual which are terribly written and complicated. It helps to have a moderate to strong IT background with these products. They are not for beginners who have limited IT knowledge but if you are somewhat IT literate and love reading manuals multiple times then go for it. It is a great product and with time and patience it is an incredible product. Just be ready when you ask questions on the reflector about integration to be berated and told to read the manual.

ON4VP Rating: 4/5 Oct 21, 2012 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Truly a great piece of gear  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A few years ago I got myself the small USBIII device and these was the first time I was introduced to the microHAM devices on the market. The USBIII always performed outstanding so when I started to look for further automation I checked the microHAM website for other products.

I bought the MKII at the same time I ordered the Station Master. The reason: seamless integration between the two devices and fully programmable thanks to the microHAM router software.

The microkeyer II is connected to my Icom IC-7600. I have the iLink between the MKII and the Station Master. My Station Master is controlling the Expert SPE 1K-FA and Acom2000a amplifiers and my G-1000DCX rotator and the Ameritron RCS-10 remote coax switch.

The Microkeyer II serves as CAT for the Icom and is used as DVC (voice keyer) and CW keyer. For those I've connected a ps/2 keyboard and my paddle.

The microHAM devices are fantastic to use but bear in mind that you will need to read the manuals very carefully and read them again, and again to fully understand the potential of all features. Once setup you will be rewarded. It makes working dx or a contest so much more fun and not to forget that while setup correctly you will protect yourself against human made errors while in the heat of the battle.

The only reason why I can not give the MKII a 5-star rating is that since I'm using it I have some RF feedback from my PR781 when I connect it the the back of the MKII. I never had problems when the studio mic was connected to my Icom. I followed all instructions concerning grounding and shielding and powering the MKII. I can't get it solved. Lucky for me my Heil headsets don't have that problem. However, the MKII remains a wonderful product that elevates my station to a different level.

The microHAM products are a bit expensive but in return they offer you a lot of fantastic features in a quality housing and with good software and support I think you pay a correct price for this fine piece of equipment.

KB9NW Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2012 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Best Interface Avaliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
First of all, this is by far the hardest product I have ever installed on my COMPUTER. I bought the MicroHam MicroKeyer II on the recommendation of a fellow ham in the area. It is a simple interface with a very complex cable that connects directly to your radio. The difficulty lays in the interface software. Follow the directions slowly and carefully and this interface is an item of pure beauty. I noted that this was difficult to install on my computer because the interface cable makes short work of the hardware connection to my Yaesu FTdx9000. The purchased cable option makes the installation look beyond professional.
I am writing this article as I make the first RS-232 connection to my Steppir antenna. My first thought was to cascade the output of the radio to the Steppir controller, then use the Steppir controller output to the MicroHam input. A quick scan of the MicroHam settings revealed that this interface will control the Steppir through the iLink output port.
So what is the advantage of using the Microham for antenna control? First, the radio will not key when the antenna is in motion, secondly the antenna will not tune when using split mode, and thirdly this just makes a nice installation.
Customer support is quick and demeaning, so read the book and re-read the book and do the installation carefully. This unit is a beauty and worth the investment.

DJ0RD Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2012 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Interface  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm 72 and after reading the instructions carefully, I have mine up and running in CW and I am sucessfully using FLIDIGI as my digital program. You have to be consistent with the Virtual Port assignments and then BINGO!! Support from Joe and the factory are the best!!

KB1NXE Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2012 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Powerful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I added this to my station which also uses a microHam Station Master to control Coax Switching and PS connectivity and sequencing. The integration was seamless. Using the microHam iLink serial buss, the two devices started sharing data immediately. Band data and status was there without any configuration.

Now, I won't tell you that the setup of the software was a breeze, but it was not difficult as I spent some time reading the manual before the unit arrived. I already had a good idea what the setting should be and on which of the now two devices I was using. I recommend this approach as there is a lot of settings that you can customize for your needs.

Support is great from Joe at microHam USA. He answers every E-Mail quickly and participates in the online Yahoo Group answering those questions as well.

This was the third device I purchased from microHam. I recommend their hardware as top notch quality and innovative. If it's not doing the things you bought it to do, you don't have it set up right. Great stuff!