Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Microham Micro Keyer II Help

Reviews Summary for Microham Micro Keyer II
Microham Micro Keyer II Reviews: 34 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $430
Description: microKEYER II™ is the most powerful All-In-One single radio multi-mode USB interface and sound card for CW, SSB, AM, FM, and digital modes (RTTY, PSK31, SSTV, APRS, PACKET, and many others) available anywhere.

Using a single USB port, microKEYER II can interface with any Windows-based logging or control program to run any FSK, CW , AFSK, SSB, AM, or FM mode.

microKEYER II also includes a rig control interface (CAT/CI- V) with interfaces for all supported radios, a powerful CW memory keyer, and a buffer for keying a Power Amplifier and LNA switcher.

You can write your own review of the Microham Micro Keyer II.

DK6OR Rating: 2/5 Jul 13, 2015 03:20 Send this review to a friend
Not as expected  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I replaced my RigExpert Plus with the microham Keyer ll, because I want to use DVK.
Using the front EXT MIC with my headset ends in an total distorted SSB signal.
Connecting the headset mike directly to the tranceiver, delivers an SSB signal with good audio quality and no distortion came up again, even with total legal RF - output.
My first request for help was answered that I should avoid RF in my shack. This is the easiest way to argue, but without RF no Ham Radio.
I think I will forget DVK and reactivate my old RigExpert. I am really not convinced, therefore is my rating only 2 points.
N6HE Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2015 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Finally, everything in one unit!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been looking for what this unit does for years - I just discovered it, and am one happy camper.

I run SSB, CW, PSK31, and FSK RTTY. I must have a very short attention span - I'm always setting up / trying something new and re-wiring the station interfaces. And you know how that goes... after the new thing is working, half of the old things now don't work any more. And don't get me started on re-configuring serial ports! So I had (between the computer and radio) a serial CW interface, a combo serial CW/FSK interface box, a homebrew PTT junction box, a memory keyer, two audio isolation transformers, and an outboard DVK voice "keyer." Not to mention about a half cubic foot of mic / speaker /rig control / line in / line out / USB / accessory cables and wires, all heavy with ferrite cores. A complete mess. But I needed it all to do all I wanted to do.

But now, with the MicroKEYER II, I have only one USB connection to the computer and a (customized and provided by MicroHAM) harness to my radio (TenTec Omni VII) with breakouts for power, CW key, accessory socket, mic, and radio serial port. Bada-boom - done. Neat. No mess. Happy.

The MK2 does all I need/want - as well as incorporating the K1EL WinKey keyer that sends perfect CW from computer-driven programs. Always wanted to add that to my station, but didn't want to add to the mess. And it has a customizable digital display that displays the (internal) keyer CW speed setting.

The MicroKEYER II manual is the best I've seen for covering all the steps of installation/configuration, including (and this is GREAT) tips on common incorrect assumptions made by people new to the unit. Boy, I needed that!

Since this unit "does it all," there are many configurations available to you, and you probably won't be using all of them. I read the earlier post by a fella that was complaining that things were too complicated - between the lines, I got that the unit was expected to be Plug-N-Play. Well, since the MK2 has to be configured/tailored to your particular requirements (and not others), the step-by-step instructions should be followed - and when they are, all works perfectly. It's not quite Plug-N-Play - but it IS Plug-N-configure-N-Play. For anything that does all the things it does, I would expect that. After all, it was replacing all the aforementioned rat's-nest "mess."

I'm glad I read through the manual 2-3 times prior to receiving the unit, making notes and getting questions down on paper. Each time I went through it, more became clear and my questions were answered. So when I started set-up, it was just one foot in front of the other.

I read the features/specs info on their site, let it all sink in, and saw that it was just the thing for me.

It's really great to have so many "wouldn't it be great if...." features in this one interface box. I've run it through its paces and there's nothing I wish it could do that it doesn't. It took me many iterations of interface wiring configurations to get to where I am now, and I'm finally satisfied. No more "it's always Field Day at N6HE." Life is good.

Ray N6HE

NT6X Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2014 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Excellent product! My only complaint is the location of the power switch being on the back of the unit. A major inconvenience.
N8WRL Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 13:01 Send this review to a friend
Best-in-class  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an excellent product with fantastic support, both from the manufacturer and the yahoo group. Follow the instructions carefully and you'll be very pleased with the flexibility. I've been experimenting with different digital modes lately and it is sooo easy to install a new program, point it at a configured sound-card and CAT port to my rig and have it all just work. I've paired mine with a Station Master and it is a killer combination. I'm on a mission to reduce the number of little boxes in my shack and MKII goes a long way towards helping me make that happen!
NS3L Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2014 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Top Interface.. Period..!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Fantastic interface..!!!

Well worth what would be considered premium $$'s

I've just completed the last of the total interface of my new microHam microKeyer II to my Icom IC-7600 station with CAT control not only my Window's 8.0 PC, but also to my MacBook Pro running Maverick's OS which runs my primary logger, MacLoggerDX...!! This thing is dynamite..!! Simplifies everything..

As a casual/frequent contester, I primarily wanted to start weaning myself from some of the IC-7600's built in functions and start using WriteLog.

I'm now able to control CW keying with WinKey for CW keying, and other functions like the ability to work better FSK RTTY in contests, etc...

I took my time and in a little over a week managed to have all hardware and software running perfectly thanks to all the info at K9JY's blog, the info available at microHam. As for the FSK aspect, all the info available at RTTYContesting's site is invaluable..!!

I've successfully integrated the microKeyer II and my IC-7600 to run WriteLog, WinKey, MMTTY, MMTTY Plug-in for WriteLog, FLDIGI, MMSSTV, WSJT-X, WSPR-X, ROSV7.2.7, EasyPal D-SSTV, And others.. All running under the MK II's Router..

My IC-7600 is performing perfectly..!!.

I was even able to use my Heil Pro Headset on the front mic connector with the HC-4 element without issues.. Just read the instructions if you have something other like an iC headset, those have interconnect issues.. Had everything needed as far as hardware with the exception of a 1/4 phono plug to RCA adapter for my Heil Headset foot switch and hand key switch.. Using a Radio Shack #274-909 adapter solved that problem. Once the interconnect was done, I programmed all the voice memories in minutes..

To say that the MK2 is overly complicated is not entirely true.. It takes patients, and mind control to force yourself to read the instructions, review and understand your station hardware, and the software and installation notes. Simply using careful consideration. Don't move headstrong into an attempt to install and interface in just a few hours.. There is a learning curve..!!! Step by step..

This is by far the best interface I've ever had yet... It's the mainstay controller now.. the MK2 replaces a SignaLink USB which gave me great service but was too limited..

If your considering a microKeyer II, know that you're getting the best for the money.. Take your time and read everything available on the unit and the software packages you plan to use.. There is a bit of sequencing between hardware and software installs, however, it'll save much time and tinkering later..

I might add.. microHam offers fast service too..!! Ordered on a Thursday, had it in my hand by postal 2 days later.. Can't beat that..

Good Luck, and see you out there..
Steve NS3L
Nazareth, Pa. FN20hq
IW1QN Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2013 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
What an Excellent Interface!!!
I have 2 MicroKEYER II, one for my FT-2000D and 2° for my Ts-590.
I use These interface and I Appreciated the quality of MicroKEYER II.
I use also MicroKEYER II in Contest site, and works very Good.
In RTTY the Internal Soundcard of the Interface help with Low and Poor signal.
If You make Contest, You must have MicroHAM Product.
SV8RX Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2013 23:58 Send this review to a friend
The king!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Absolutely great device.Fine hardware and excellent software (frequently updated). The virtual com port router is a unique feature (you do not need the serial port of your computer any more). I love it. You can do everything you could desire with this rig. True FSK, two CAT programs connected simultaneously,PTT sequencer for your linear, audio recording and transmitting... to mention the most impressive. I use it with my FtDx5000D, MixW, HRD, PPC-5000 RDX cluster, every single day. I ran two major RTTY contests. Never disappointed me. It requires some time to set up, let say a couple of hours, but what do you expect from such an incredible machine?
AK6ZZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2013 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Great product   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own a Microkeyer 2 and it is a great piece of gear. It is the center piece of controlling my shack. It is a bit complicated to get connected and integrated but once you do it is an amazing piece of gear. I currently have it integrated with my K3, my SPE 1K and my Steppir three element. It along with my SPE 1K, which controls my antennas awesomely, make my shack completely remote capable as well as a pleasure to operate at home. It also does well with digital modes which is almost an afterthought.

Figuring out CW keying was a major challenge for me and the technical support is not terribly pleasant. Expect being treated like an idiot when asking for help and being told to read the manual which are terribly written and complicated. It helps to have a moderate to strong IT background with these products. They are not for beginners who have limited IT knowledge but if you are somewhat IT literate and love reading manuals multiple times then go for it. It is a great product and with time and patience it is an incredible product. Just be ready when you ask questions on the reflector about integration to be berated and told to read the manual.
ON4VP Rating: 4/5 Oct 21, 2012 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Truly a great piece of gear  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A few years ago I got myself the small USBIII device and these was the first time I was introduced to the microHAM devices on the market. The USBIII always performed outstanding so when I started to look for further automation I checked the microHAM website for other products.

I bought the MKII at the same time I ordered the Station Master. The reason: seamless integration between the two devices and fully programmable thanks to the microHAM router software.

The microkeyer II is connected to my Icom IC-7600. I have the iLink between the MKII and the Station Master. My Station Master is controlling the Expert SPE 1K-FA and Acom2000a amplifiers and my G-1000DCX rotator and the Ameritron RCS-10 remote coax switch.

The Microkeyer II serves as CAT for the Icom and is used as DVC (voice keyer) and CW keyer. For those I've connected a ps/2 keyboard and my paddle.

The microHAM devices are fantastic to use but bear in mind that you will need to read the manuals very carefully and read them again, and again to fully understand the potential of all features. Once setup you will be rewarded. It makes working dx or a contest so much more fun and not to forget that while setup correctly you will protect yourself against human made errors while in the heat of the battle.

The only reason why I can not give the MKII a 5-star rating is that since I'm using it I have some RF feedback from my PR781 when I connect it the the back of the MKII. I never had problems when the studio mic was connected to my Icom. I followed all instructions concerning grounding and shielding and powering the MKII. I can't get it solved. Lucky for me my Heil headsets don't have that problem. However, the MKII remains a wonderful product that elevates my station to a different level.

The microHAM products are a bit expensive but in return they offer you a lot of fantastic features in a quality housing and with good software and support I think you pay a correct price for this fine piece of equipment.
KB9NW Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2012 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Best Interface Avaliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
First of all, this is by far the hardest product I have ever installed on my COMPUTER. I bought the MicroHam MicroKeyer II on the recommendation of a fellow ham in the area. It is a simple interface with a very complex cable that connects directly to your radio. The difficulty lays in the interface software. Follow the directions slowly and carefully and this interface is an item of pure beauty. I noted that this was difficult to install on my computer because the interface cable makes short work of the hardware connection to my Yaesu FTdx9000. The purchased cable option makes the installation look beyond professional.
I am writing this article as I make the first RS-232 connection to my Steppir antenna. My first thought was to cascade the output of the radio to the Steppir controller, then use the Steppir controller output to the MicroHam input. A quick scan of the MicroHam settings revealed that this interface will control the Steppir through the iLink output port.
So what is the advantage of using the Microham for antenna control? First, the radio will not key when the antenna is in motion, secondly the antenna will not tune when using split mode, and thirdly this just makes a nice installation.
Customer support is quick and demeaning, so read the book and re-read the book and do the installation carefully. This unit is a beauty and worth the investment.