Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Microham Micro Keyer II Help

Reviews Summary for Microham Micro Keyer II
Microham Micro Keyer II Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $430
Description: microKEYER II™ is the most powerful All-In-One single radio multi-mode USB interface and sound card for CW, SSB, AM, FM, and digital modes (RTTY, PSK31, SSTV, APRS, PACKET, and many others) available anywhere.

Using a single USB port, microKEYER II can interface with any Windows-based logging or control program to run any FSK, CW , AFSK, SSB, AM, or FM mode.

microKEYER II also includes a rig control interface (CAT/CI- V) with interfaces for all supported radios, a powerful CW memory keyer, and a buffer for keying a Power Amplifier and LNA switcher.
More info: http://microham-usa.com/

You can write your own review of the Microham Micro Keyer II.

IW1QN Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2013 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
What an Excellent Interface!!!
I have 2 MicroKEYER II, one for my FT-2000D and 2° for my Ts-590.
I use These interface and I Appreciated the quality of MicroKEYER II.
I use also MicroKEYER II in Contest site, and works very Good.
In RTTY the Internal Soundcard of the Interface help with Low and Poor signal.
If You make Contest, You must have MicroHAM Product.

SV8RX Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2013 23:58 Send this review to a friend
The king!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Absolutely great device.Fine hardware and excellent software (frequently updated). The virtual com port router is a unique feature (you do not need the serial port of your computer any more). I love it. You can do everything you could desire with this rig. True FSK, two CAT programs connected simultaneously,PTT sequencer for your linear, audio recording and transmitting... to mention the most impressive. I use it with my FtDx5000D, MixW, HRD, PPC-5000 RDX cluster, every single day. I ran two major RTTY contests. Never disappointed me. It requires some time to set up, let say a couple of hours, but what do you expect from such an incredible machine?

AK6ZZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 27, 2013 20:45 Send this review to a friend
Great product   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I own a Microkeyer 2 and it is a great piece of gear. It is the center piece of controlling my shack. It is a bit complicated to get connected and integrated but once you do it is an amazing piece of gear. I currently have it integrated with my K3, my SPE 1K and my Steppir three element. It along with my SPE 1K, which controls my antennas awesomely, make my shack completely remote capable as well as a pleasure to operate at home. It also does well with digital modes which is almost an afterthought.

Figuring out CW keying was a major challenge for me and the technical support is not terribly pleasant. Expect being treated like an idiot when asking for help and being told to read the manual which are terribly written and complicated. It helps to have a moderate to strong IT background with these products. They are not for beginners who have limited IT knowledge but if you are somewhat IT literate and love reading manuals multiple times then go for it. It is a great product and with time and patience it is an incredible product. Just be ready when you ask questions on the reflector about integration to be berated and told to read the manual.

ON4VP Rating: 4/5 Oct 21, 2012 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Truly a great piece of gear  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A few years ago I got myself the small USBIII device and these was the first time I was introduced to the microHAM devices on the market. The USBIII always performed outstanding so when I started to look for further automation I checked the microHAM website for other products.

I bought the MKII at the same time I ordered the Station Master. The reason: seamless integration between the two devices and fully programmable thanks to the microHAM router software.

The microkeyer II is connected to my Icom IC-7600. I have the iLink between the MKII and the Station Master. My Station Master is controlling the Expert SPE 1K-FA and Acom2000a amplifiers and my G-1000DCX rotator and the Ameritron RCS-10 remote coax switch.

The Microkeyer II serves as CAT for the Icom and is used as DVC (voice keyer) and CW keyer. For those I've connected a ps/2 keyboard and my paddle.

The microHAM devices are fantastic to use but bear in mind that you will need to read the manuals very carefully and read them again, and again to fully understand the potential of all features. Once setup you will be rewarded. It makes working dx or a contest so much more fun and not to forget that while setup correctly you will protect yourself against human made errors while in the heat of the battle.

The only reason why I can not give the MKII a 5-star rating is that since I'm using it I have some RF feedback from my PR781 when I connect it the the back of the MKII. I never had problems when the studio mic was connected to my Icom. I followed all instructions concerning grounding and shielding and powering the MKII. I can't get it solved. Lucky for me my Heil headsets don't have that problem. However, the MKII remains a wonderful product that elevates my station to a different level.

The microHAM products are a bit expensive but in return they offer you a lot of fantastic features in a quality housing and with good software and support I think you pay a correct price for this fine piece of equipment.

KB9NW Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2012 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Best Interface Avaliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
First of all, this is by far the hardest product I have ever installed on my COMPUTER. I bought the MicroHam MicroKeyer II on the recommendation of a fellow ham in the area. It is a simple interface with a very complex cable that connects directly to your radio. The difficulty lays in the interface software. Follow the directions slowly and carefully and this interface is an item of pure beauty. I noted that this was difficult to install on my computer because the interface cable makes short work of the hardware connection to my Yaesu FTdx9000. The purchased cable option makes the installation look beyond professional.
I am writing this article as I make the first RS-232 connection to my Steppir antenna. My first thought was to cascade the output of the radio to the Steppir controller, then use the Steppir controller output to the MicroHam input. A quick scan of the MicroHam settings revealed that this interface will control the Steppir through the iLink output port.
So what is the advantage of using the Microham for antenna control? First, the radio will not key when the antenna is in motion, secondly the antenna will not tune when using split mode, and thirdly this just makes a nice installation.
Customer support is quick and demeaning, so read the book and re-read the book and do the installation carefully. This unit is a beauty and worth the investment.

DJ0RD Rating: 5/5 Aug 25, 2012 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Interface  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm 72 and after reading the instructions carefully, I have mine up and running in CW and I am sucessfully using FLIDIGI as my digital program. You have to be consistent with the Virtual Port assignments and then BINGO!! Support from Joe and the factory are the best!!

KB1NXE Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2012 07:44 Send this review to a friend
Powerful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I added this to my station which also uses a microHam Station Master to control Coax Switching and PS connectivity and sequencing. The integration was seamless. Using the microHam iLink serial buss, the two devices started sharing data immediately. Band data and status was there without any configuration.

Now, I won't tell you that the setup of the software was a breeze, but it was not difficult as I spent some time reading the manual before the unit arrived. I already had a good idea what the setting should be and on which of the now two devices I was using. I recommend this approach as there is a lot of settings that you can customize for your needs.

Support is great from Joe at microHam USA. He answers every E-Mail quickly and participates in the online Yahoo Group answering those questions as well.

This was the third device I purchased from microHam. I recommend their hardware as top notch quality and innovative. If it's not doing the things you bought it to do, you don't have it set up right. Great stuff!

KB9NW Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2012 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Top of the Line  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is one powerful interface but like other reviewers have stated; have a 12 year old around to help getting the unit set up correctly. It took almost 2 months to get the unit operational. Reading the instructions carefully is a plus. Take your time, go slow, check everything, but don't call or email for Tech support unless you are prepared to be belittled. Even though the interface cable is made specifically for your rig, there are still options, such as the type of microphone or headset that you use. The unit will hold several configurations based on how you intend to operate. Set up one for each software package that you will be using so that you will be ready to operate that next contest. This thing was so hard to set up that I disconnected it for contests as I just did not have confidence that all the parameters were set corecty. Once everything was tested, it is pure pleasure to have installed. My other device is a RigBlaster Pro.

VE3FDT Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2012 23:06 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a MicroHAM Micro KEYER II ever since it came out (4+ years?). It has been an epitome of reliability and excellence. Amazing performance that has not failed me ever; not once!

For some reason, mine must be the only unit in the world that is not sensitive to RFI issues at all. I work in RF for a living and I have never had a slightest RF related problem with this unit. I have never tested my unit at any other stations (not mine), but at my (properly grounded and equipped with common sense anti-RFI basics) shack it works like a dream without a trace of RFI. It worked with absolutely no problems under Windows XP, Windows Vista and now Windows 7 (most recently Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit). I cannot comment on support - I have never needed it, since it works flawlessly.

Granted, I work low power (up to 100 W) pretty much all of the time and when very occasionally I use an amplifier (I do own one) I max at about 400 W. So, what could I possibly know about RFI?

I have used no competitive products with the same devices connected, since I had absolutely no need to do it and, obviously, I could not comment on other devices' RFI issues.

I was hoping that paying top dollar would provide me with top dollar customer support and with a top dollar product. I am very happy to say that MicroHAM and its products have satisfied my hopes and expectations.

It is a complicated device and that part I can live with as it provides much flexibility, but -in my opinion- it is very much plug and play.

I am happy to share more experiences with it and you are welcome to email me at my QRZ email address.

Every penny I spent has been well worth it. I cannot comment if it would be better spent on a competitors' product. I never needed one, since microHAM micro KEYER II met my expectations and then some!

VA3MW Rating: 2/5 Jan 2, 2012 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have spent about 3 years (on and off) trying to get this to work reliably.

For some reason, mine must be the only unit in the world that is more sensitive to RFI issues than any of the other units out there. I work in RF for a living, but I was never able to solve the the RF Audio problems I have with this unit. It was tested at 4 other stations (not mine) and each QTH has the same problem.

Under Windows 7, it was working fine, until all the ELTIMIA com ports disappeared with the only option of un-installing and reinstalling. That seem to be the only good answer from support.

I have used 3 other competitive products with the same devices connected to them and they had NO RFI issues.

I was hoping that paying top dollar would provide me with top dollar customer support and with a top dollar product. I hate to say it, but my MFJ product worked much better.

It is a complicated device and that part I can live with as it provides much flexibility. Be prepared. It is NOT plug and play.

$500 would be better spent on a competitors product.