Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | Microham Micro Keyer II Help

Reviews Summary for Microham Micro Keyer II
Microham Micro Keyer II Reviews: 32 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $430
Description: microKEYER II™ is the most powerful All-In-One single radio multi-mode USB interface and sound card for CW, SSB, AM, FM, and digital modes (RTTY, PSK31, SSTV, APRS, PACKET, and many others) available anywhere.

Using a single USB port, microKEYER II can interface with any Windows-based logging or control program to run any FSK, CW , AFSK, SSB, AM, or FM mode.

microKEYER II also includes a rig control interface (CAT/CI- V) with interfaces for all supported radios, a powerful CW memory keyer, and a buffer for keying a Power Amplifier and LNA switcher.
More info: http://microham-usa.com/

You can write your own review of the Microham Micro Keyer II.

KB9NW Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2012 20:01 Send this review to a friend
Top of the Line  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is one powerful interface but like other reviewers have stated; have a 12 year old around to help getting the unit set up correctly. It took almost 2 months to get the unit operational. Reading the instructions carefully is a plus. Take your time, go slow, check everything, but don't call or email for Tech support unless you are prepared to be belittled. Even though the interface cable is made specifically for your rig, there are still options, such as the type of microphone or headset that you use. The unit will hold several configurations based on how you intend to operate. Set up one for each software package that you will be using so that you will be ready to operate that next contest. This thing was so hard to set up that I disconnected it for contests as I just did not have confidence that all the parameters were set corecty. Once everything was tested, it is pure pleasure to have installed. My other device is a RigBlaster Pro.

VE3FDT Rating: 5/5 Jan 6, 2012 23:06 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had a MicroHAM Micro KEYER II ever since it came out (4+ years?). It has been an epitome of reliability and excellence. Amazing performance that has not failed me ever; not once!

For some reason, mine must be the only unit in the world that is not sensitive to RFI issues at all. I work in RF for a living and I have never had a slightest RF related problem with this unit. I have never tested my unit at any other stations (not mine), but at my (properly grounded and equipped with common sense anti-RFI basics) shack it works like a dream without a trace of RFI. It worked with absolutely no problems under Windows XP, Windows Vista and now Windows 7 (most recently Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit). I cannot comment on support - I have never needed it, since it works flawlessly.

Granted, I work low power (up to 100 W) pretty much all of the time and when very occasionally I use an amplifier (I do own one) I max at about 400 W. So, what could I possibly know about RFI?

I have used no competitive products with the same devices connected, since I had absolutely no need to do it and, obviously, I could not comment on other devices' RFI issues.

I was hoping that paying top dollar would provide me with top dollar customer support and with a top dollar product. I am very happy to say that MicroHAM and its products have satisfied my hopes and expectations.

It is a complicated device and that part I can live with as it provides much flexibility, but -in my opinion- it is very much plug and play.

I am happy to share more experiences with it and you are welcome to email me at my QRZ email address.

Every penny I spent has been well worth it. I cannot comment if it would be better spent on a competitors' product. I never needed one, since microHAM micro KEYER II met my expectations and then some!

VA3MW Rating: 2/5 Jan 2, 2012 16:32 Send this review to a friend
Overpriced  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have spent about 3 years (on and off) trying to get this to work reliably.

For some reason, mine must be the only unit in the world that is more sensitive to RFI issues than any of the other units out there. I work in RF for a living, but I was never able to solve the the RF Audio problems I have with this unit. It was tested at 4 other stations (not mine) and each QTH has the same problem.

Under Windows 7, it was working fine, until all the ELTIMIA com ports disappeared with the only option of un-installing and reinstalling. That seem to be the only good answer from support.

I have used 3 other competitive products with the same devices connected to them and they had NO RFI issues.

I was hoping that paying top dollar would provide me with top dollar customer support and with a top dollar product. I hate to say it, but my MFJ product worked much better.

It is a complicated device and that part I can live with as it provides much flexibility. Be prepared. It is NOT plug and play.

$500 would be better spent on a competitors product.

K3PA Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2011 08:41 Send this review to a friend
Fabulous  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Don't buy a cheap audio interface, spend a few more dollars and get this. The internal sound card reduces cabling and improves RFI and noise. It eliminated the need for my memory keyer and my voice keyer. The functionality is more complete and better integrated. It's a great piece of equipment, highly recommended!

K5MM Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2011 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product and Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned a MicroHam Micro Keyer II for the past two years. The unit does everything well and interfaces my K3 seemlessly with DXLabs, Digipan and MixW. Setup effort depends on the nature of the radio control software you intend to use with the MKII. Digipan and MixW setups required just a few minutes. Setup guides for most radio control and contest software are accessable via the excellent software provided for the Micro Keyer II Router. Support is also availabe via the MicroHAM yahoo group, from the USA distributor Joe W4TV, who seems to be on every mail list, or by writing Joe directly. Support is excellent. I'm very pleased with the MKII.

N3MX Rating: 5/5 May 6, 2010 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second Microham controller. I also have the MK2R+ which I have had for a year now. It is also fantastic. I ordered the MKII so that I would have a single radio controller when needed. This, like the MK2R+, is another outstanding product from Microham. Very well built and thought out hardware. You will not be disappointed. Fast shipping and great support. Highly recommended.

N1SZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2010 05:35 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received my MKII yesterday, just two business days after ordering it online. The product was professionally packaged and arrived in good order.

After about an hour of reading the instructions and configuring the MKII, I was quickly able to get the MKII to work with Writelog, DigiPan and MMTTY. While it may appear to be a bit cumbersome to configure the device, the key is to follow the instructions in the manual and not just dive into a blind setup attempt. Failure to read the manual will likely lead to frustration during the setup and configuration.

I am impressed with the quality of the construction, appearance and the vast number of configurations available to interface the device with just about any type of modern radio and accessories.

The MKII comes with a CD with the router software and PDF manuals for configuring the MKII with just about every type of popular logging and modulation specific software (WSJT, DigiPan..etc). This product is replacing my RigBlaster and I can easily say after only about two hours of use, I am thrilled with the MKII. While the price may appear a bit expensive for a radio-computer interface, all I can say is you get what you pay for, a quality piece of equipment. Kudos to Microham!

KL5X Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2010 02:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
After using a Microkeyer for a year (see my review) I stepped up to the II. Another excellent product from this company with outstanding support. Used it with a Icom ProII, Elecraft K3 and a FT9000D. All worked perfect.
If you want a no hassle interface I recommend this one. And if you dont want to buy the cable between interface and radio, just built your own. The schematics are on the manufacturers webpage.

WA9PIE Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2009 19:46 Send this review to a friend
RIGblaster WHAT?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got rid of a RIGblaster Pro and bought the microKEYER II. All I can say is that this is THE most advanced piece of rig-to-computer interface gear I've ever seen (even with my older rig, TS-690). It will take me weeks to figure out how I get my full investment in this - but I'm sure gonna try.

Amazing. Well done.

N4WSH Rating: 5/5 Apr 7, 2009 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One word describes this interface - Excellent! This is quality equipment. Expensive, that depends on the old saying, "You get what you pay for" That being said, no, it's not expensive at all. I use my Micro Keyer II with a Yaesu FT-1000MP with great results. There are other interfaces out there, and some are very good, but for me the choice was clear.