Reviews Categories | DXpedition & ham radio vacation rentals | The Hamlet - Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands Help

Reviews Summary for The Hamlet - Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands
The Hamlet - Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $See website
Description: A charming Carribean cottage overlooking the ocean, complete with great
antennas and a charming hostess (Jody, VP5JM)
More info: http://vp5jm.com

You can write your own review of the The Hamlet - Providenciales, Turks & Caicos Islands.

VO1AU Rating: 3/5 Jun 1, 2014 09:03 Send this review to a friend
No longer available  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
On 1 June, Jody VP5JM informed me that "I no longer rent My guest house for many reasons, but mainly since the Local Gov. has now started charging a tax and I do not want to have to bother with collecting that. If You are still planning a trip down to Turks and Caicos, I can still handle getting Your visitors License... We have a website http://tacars.org/ where You can find all of the info."

As for my rating, it means nothing. I have never been there, but e-ham requires that I put something.

K0MD Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2013 10:21 Send this review to a friend
The Best!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have rented the hamlet for several years. Jody is a great hostess. Its location is fantastic for contesting and Dx events. The antennas are amazing - all Force 12 for 10-40 and clothesline dipoles for 80-160. The Island is a great place, the people are wonderful and the scenic view is priceless.

KA1LKA Rating: 3/5 Nov 8, 2011 08:15 Send this review to a friend
The Hamlet is QRT  Time owned: months
Jody emailed the following information to me yesterday: "Thank you for your interest in possibly coming to the Hamlet. First of all, I have decided to no longer rent the Hamlet, My guest house."

W9VNE Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2008 06:45 Send this review to a friend
great ham radio experience  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first used the Hamlet in 1994 for the CQ WW (November). I went back in Feb 1995 and also November 1995 for another CQWW. I used the Hamlet in Feb 2007 and Feb 2008 for the FOC Marathon. Jody is very gracious and hospitable. The hardware works. Location is above average. I have been operating the bands for more than 55 years so I have some basis for evaluating a location and also the antennas. If you go you will enjoy yourself and will have a great time on the bands.

K4ELO Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2007 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Fun dx location  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My wife and I spent a fun week at the Hamlet. We really enjoyed visiting with Jody/VP5JM. She is a wonderful hostess and makes sure everything is right for you. She will provide a xcvr or, like me, you can bring your own, just sit down at the operating position and plug your stuff in, and you are on the air.

I worked mostly 20m and 40m, both cw and psk. It seemed like 20m was open to EU and beyond almost any time of day. The EU stations particulary, seemed anxious to work a VP5. You would have no trouble working DXCC in a week here if that was your goal. You can even create your own pileups on 20m cw with W/K crowd if you like. Jody's antennas are very good. I worked over 30 countries and many, many US stations with only 20 watts on cw/psk only operating part time.

The rest of the time, the snorkeling, fishing, etc is amazing.
Right after we got there, my wife looked around and said "What, we're only staying one week?"
We will definitely be going back again.