Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | Ham Radio Deluxe Digital Master 780 Help

Reviews Summary for Ham Radio Deluxe Digital Master 780
Ham Radio Deluxe Digital Master 780 Reviews: 67 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $Free!!
Description: Digital Master 780 (DM780) is the new Multi-Mode Digital Software Program from Ham Radio Deluxe. DM780 supports the most commonly used digital modes, including variations of: BPSK, QPSK, CW, MCW, RTTY, MFSK, Olivia, DominoEX, Throb, ThrobEX, MT63, with Hell, WJST, and others to come.

In DM780 you find all the features you expect of a modern program such as Precise Decoding, Multiple QSO RX Windows, Multi-Channel SuperBrowser, Powerful Macros, Soundcard Controls, PTT Options, Customizable Waterfall, Favorites Manager, Alarms, Integrated Logbook, World Map, Web Browsers, and much more. All presented in a Sophisticated and Easy to Use, Intuitive Graphical Interface. There's also plenty of Help resources included in the software and a very active User Support Forum.

DM780 is included in the Ham Radio Deluxe suite of Windows programs and is Free to download and use for Radio Amateurs, Short Wave Listeners, and Charitable Organizations. Use by commercial organizations and government institutions requires a license from Simon Brown, Postfach 159, 7031 Laax, Switzerland.

DM780 is closely integrated with Ham Radio Deluxe for transceiver control, and runs on a vast assortment of rigs, Windows PCs, soundcards and interfaces. To check if your rig is supported, see the Ham Radio Deluxe User Analysis Data at: http://hrd.ham-radio.ch/AnalysisData/Analysis.txt.

DM780 was started on September 2nd 2006, and like Ham Radio Deluxe, DM780 is written by Simon Brown (HB9DRV). It is rigorously tested and supported by a world-wide group of digital-mode enthusiasts via the Ham Radio Deluxe User Support Forums at: http://forums.ham-radio.ch/. DM780 was first released in April 2007 and has been embraced and enjoyed by users ever since. DM780 is the latest member of the Ham Radio Deluxe software family, and the successor to PSK31 Deluxe.

The latest Production and Beta builds of the software are always available on the HRD User Support Forums (http://forums.ham-radio.ch/) in the Downloads Category. And, once the software is installed, updates may also be obtained automatically via the program's Help > Check for Update feature.

DM780 is named as a tribute to the mighty VAX 11/780, a real computer in every sense.
More info: http://forums.ham-radio.ch/

You can write your own review of the Ham Radio Deluxe Digital Master 780.

K3ROJ Rating: 2/5 Feb 5, 2013 14:02 Send this review to a friend
Difficult to learn  Time owned: more than 12 months
At one time we used HRD daily, especially the digital mode PSK31 but recently it is so difficult to keep track and update. We had to learn the VAC and ComOcom software for my Flex 5000A which was OK but now I cannot run anything. I am willing to pay good money for a great program that will satisfy my hobby cravings. My Flex Radio 5000A does not like the VAC and ComOcom software which is not HRD's fault. Wht can't someone over there in Europe help us? The USA will never get back into the ham radio thing.

G6UWK Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2012 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using HRD/DM780 for a number of years and once you have it set up it just gets on with it. It runs better on my shack PC (old Athlon) rather than an elderly laptop both running XP

I know the original author of the software is no longer involved but I updated my version no problems and still at no cost.

Lets be honest it is free, it does an excellent job and I for one am very grateful to Simon for doing sterling work in putting it together.

I run a FT-450 with Radioareana cables straight to the PC and it works. I feel that a product individually tailored to a single manufacturer may offer a more integrated solution but then you have the costs involved and I have yet to meet an amateur that won't try a "freebie" As I say I am very pleased with the results nearly a third of my log book is contacts using various digimodes including CW using DM780 so a very happy user.

Jon
G6UWK

AB9VJ Rating: 5/5 Jan 7, 2012 16:17 Send this review to a friend
Great package  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This software makes it so easy for a new ham to get onto the digital modes. I just came from a senior (84 years old) ham's shack. I set up his HRD and DM780 and now he is doing digital. You can not possibly complain about this software especially for the price. You can always second guess how someone does something but this program really shows great attention to detail. I deal we custom automation as part of my job so I've seen a lot of custom software and human interfaces. This one is as simple as it can get and still give great functionality.

N4ST Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2011 16:54 Send this review to a friend
Good but still needs work  Time owned: more than 12 months
Fixed the freezing problem on Windows 7 by setting the program to "Run as Administrator". Now if they would just fix the RTTY code to not add three extra Line Feeds at the end of each transmission, it would be suitable for contest and DX RTTY contacts without annoying the operators on both ends!

OZ1GCT Rating: 4/5 Jun 20, 2011 07:21 Send this review to a friend
Fine program  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this program, have used some years for
PSK and RTTY.
The only thing I don't love, is the problem with
freezing, and according to Murphies Law, mostly
when there is a rare DX-station, When I have rebooted the computer and is ready again, the DX is gone, of course. ;o)

NN2X Rating: 5/5 Jun 20, 2011 04:52 Send this review to a friend
Great  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It is a fantastic program, Due to the core discipline, (Method of super imposing the digital INFO via phase modulation) this requires a few knobs (Software keys) to adjust...It took me a few hours to get my arms around the program, but there is no doubt this is a well thought out platform,

Here is the play on this, there has been enormous amount of hard work went into this programs, and might I add, free...I have to say, it is quite impressive, I use this for PSK mode, I love this program..I know in the satellite field, there has been multimillions of dollars spent on research just to do the same type of modulation on a carrier, and here in the Ham Radio community someone does this for fun...

So not only is this a fantastic program, one should thank such a entity / person to create this system for us (Ham community) to use...

In summary, great!

K8WDX Rating: 2/5 Jun 5, 2011 13:09 Send this review to a friend
Where are the beam headings??  Time owned: more than 12 months
Lots of bloat and no beam headings! Why?
I am getting ready to put a beam up, so started looking at this from that point of view, I could not believe with all the bloat this program has there are NO BEAM HEADINGS!
Thank goodness for Fldigi...

N4ST Rating: 4/5 May 9, 2011 16:19 Send this review to a friend
Comprehensive  Time owned: more than 12 months
A full support program with rig control, digital AFSK modes and logbook. This program really does a lot and most users won't tap all of its potential. There is a bit of a learning curve to get the most of it, but just take one thing at a time and keep plugging away. With the recent addition of an LoTW interface (already had eQSL and HRDLog) it handles the electronic QSLing handily.
A couple of negative comments are, the RTTY interface tacks on a few extra LF/CR at the end of each transmission which are beyond operator control, so it is annoying when working a contest or when you are qued up for that fast DX exchange. Also, as has been pointed out, the DM780 program freezes on me every few hours and usually at the worst times. This happens on two different computers that are new and not being stressed by the software under normal conditions.

K8WDX Rating: 3/5 Mar 7, 2011 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Keeps locking up.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Lots of bells and whistles, which you do not have to use but are nice, I have used it for several years, then lately it has been locking up when looking up info on call signs when entered, almost lost several QSO's, It is not the PC because I am using a 4 core 3200 mhz machine should handle it well. This is my only windows machine and has had windows on it just to run HRD, now it is 100% Linux, no more windows and FLdigi never slows down, even when heavy multi tasking is going on..

KJ4WII Rating: 3/5 Jan 24, 2011 03:22 Send this review to a friend
A beast  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I appreciate the work that went into DM780 and don't mean to be discouraging, but this software seems to be an attempt to include every feature anyone could dream up and in it's attempt to be jack of all trades succeeds in being master of none.
The user interface is tediously complex. The programmers here need a visit to the school of "less is more".