Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | BHI ANEM - Amplified Noise Elimination Module Help

Reviews Summary for BHI ANEM - Amplified Noise Elimination Module
BHI ANEM - Amplified Noise Elimination Module Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $227
Description: This is the similar amplified module they sell in other forms, but installed in a small module designed to be placed in-line with your speaker output. It is essentially portable, though requires power to run. Convenient to swap in and out of the shack and your mobile.

You can write your own review of the BHI ANEM - Amplified Noise Elimination Module.

K1JHS Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2015 13:06 Send this review to a friend
Works great  Time owned: more than 12 months
Having had the ANEM for several years using with several rigs I can say the product works great. There are a few nits with the 1/8 audio jacks, they are certainly not Switchcraft quality but they do work. The #8 setting sounds like you are in a cavernous men's room with a cattle trough for a urinal but all the other settings do the job. I do not know any other product that works as well, I've had MFJ and Timewave products. I am hoping that they make one with greater leeway on the settings and with filters because with that it would be the best of them all. 73 de K1JHS
AA5JD Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2015 09:59 Send this review to a friend
It works very well!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have two FT-817 transceivers that have a fairly high background noise level. I looked at the bhi DSP filters but installing in both radios was abit expensive. So I chose the bhi Noise Away ANEM MKII as a stand alone device and I am glad I did. I can move it from radio to radio in a snap and also use on my mobile. It does as advertised removing most of the background static noise and does it very well. No more listening fatigue now which makes the FT-817 more of a joy to use. This device is well worth the investment and I highly recommend it.
W8OWL Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2013 05:34 Send this review to a friend
Noise Awaaaay !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This small filter does what it says, it takes noise away. TS-430S has a good receiver, yet some weaker signals do get hidden or at least "were" hidden. I added ANEM and what a difference! Though not very inexpensive (for me), I can run a great old simple (like me)radio that competes with a more expensive rig. Previous reviewer indicated problem (unusual). Ralph said that he'd quality check before shipped. BHI ANEM is definitely appreciated and recommended.
K5USF Rating: 0/5 Mar 16, 2013 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Many Problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My unit operated sporadically with a TS-440S and a Icom SP-23 speaker. So, I made adjustments according to the manual. While doing this, two of the adjustable pots came apart. I contacted W4RT via his website yesterday. I have not heard a thing. Sometimes the unit works in bypass, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I get sound, sometimes I don't. I am a EE and I hope W4RT rectifies the situation so I can alter my rating.
G0MRR Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2012 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Noise away Anem. Never intended for CW. A message of interest  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I may well have done an injustice with my last comments as I now realise the Bhi Noise away module was never intended for CW use albeit some reasonable results have been shown by ham users. After a brief communication to ask Bhi I received a message which may well help CW users in the future.
"We would like to bring out a unit that improves CW operation and may do in the future. Our current DSP technology works out which signals are speech and which ones are just noise. This can cause it to not be a problem for certain cw tones. That is why we have never promoted it for cw. I do have some customers who do a little cw operation and find it excellent for this."
I will certainly keep a close eye on this product in the hope a unit for CW becomes available. So for Speech modes it definitely gets a 5 from me.
WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2011 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I considered having the "barebones" board mounted in my FT-817 but decided to buy this one to use as an outboard accessory. Now I can use it with any of my other rigs. It does a nice job of getting rid of the extraneous crud that seems to come through, especially on the 817. It really drops the audio hiss and cleans up the signals to make listening more comfortable. I use it on CW with lighter settings but have listened on SSB and there it really makes a difference. For the more basic rigs this is very useful. As I write this I have been cruising the bands with the FT-817, making contacts during the CQ DX CW contest and it makes all the difference.
W3DKV Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2010 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
An extremely useful station accessory, especially in noisy environments.

A comment in QSTís review of this unit originally delayed my purchase of it. QST commented that this unit ‟is not a noise blanker. It will not remove electrical impulse noise from lightning, automobile ignition systems or electric fences.‟

While the above may be true, Iíve found that it does not mean that nothing but receiver-generated white noise will be removed. I live in a townhome which suffers from the all too common neighbor-generated noise from TVs, light dimmer switches, computer hash, etc. And in my particular case, the Noise-Away has aided my shortwave reception considerably by resulting in substantially quieter receiving conditions. While your mileage may vary, I have found this unit to be well worth the price.
KB9TMP Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2010 04:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent DSP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have run this on both my Kenwood TS-450S and Yaesu FT-817. It works great on both radios. Cleans up the background noise that makes HF hard for me (Tinnitus) to listen to. Wish they made a medical version for your ears! 8^) I'm now thinking about buying a second unit so I don't have to swap back and forth between radios. If I do get another it will definitely come from W4RT Electronics. When I got my ANEM it came without speaker or power cables. Ralph - N5DOI sent me an email a week later informing me that BHI had not shipped cables with his shipment and he had just found out mine shipped without them. He said he now had them and was going to send me the cables at his expense. I wondered why there were no cables but that's not a biggy. So here is a public THANKS to Ralph - N5DOI I will be a repeat customer because of the way he handled this mix-up.

73 de KB9TMP
K8SDK Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2010 18:36 Send this review to a friend
The Real Deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an ICOM 756 Pro with IF DSP, so I was skeptical of the utility of this unit; but the rep from BHI Ltd at the W4RT booth at Dayton sold me on its ability to cancel signals that are not speech, and improve on the ICOM's ability to create a custom IF bandwidth. And so it does! This unit is very effective at reducing noise. The improvement of the audio quality is especially noticeable if there is lots of QRN, then I set the ICOM for a wider bandwidth, then process the signal with the ANEM. I get the fidelity of the wide signal, but the background noise is greatly reduced. For weak signals I reduce the bandwidth with the ICOM and then the ANEM really cleans up the signal and digs the audio up out of the remaining noise floor. The button controls take some getting used to, but this unit with minimal controls is a lot cheaper than getting all the bells & whistles on their other products. For me it is the real deal for the $...even with IF DSP.
WB9CUX Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2009 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Almost unbelievable!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After seeing all of the great reviews of the Noise Away module,I purchased one from W4RT and received it promptly. The unit was small and compact and connected into my radio setup easily. I took the advice of one of the other reviewers and set the input and output levels according to the BHI online instructions, which were, I believe, in the manuals section. The results were almost unbelievable. I tuned in on any weak SSB voice signal that I could find and pushed the DSP on button. Almost like magic, the background noise disappeared and only the voice remained. Again like most of the reviewers suggested, a setting of around 5 or 6 was the right amount of processing. Over and over I tried this on different weak signals and got the same great results. One area of improvement is the included instructions are pretty sketchy and one needs to go to the BHI website to learn how to properly setup your unit for processing steps of 4 or 8 and input/output levels. Under very high noise levels, a very very slight amount of processing noise can be heard on the voice but is not at all any problem. All in all, I love this unit and would recommend it to anyone who gets tired of irritating background noise. The price was very reasonable at around $180.00. 73s Lon A.