Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | BHI ANEM - Amplified Noise Elimination Module Help

Reviews Summary for BHI ANEM - Amplified Noise Elimination Module
BHI ANEM - Amplified Noise Elimination Module Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $227
Description: This is the similar amplified module they sell in other forms, but installed in a small module designed to be placed in-line with your speaker output. It is essentially portable, though requires power to run. Convenient to swap in and out of the shack and your mobile.
More info: http://www.bhinstrumentation.co.uk/html/anem.html

You can write your own review of the BHI ANEM - Amplified Noise Elimination Module.

W8OWL Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2013 05:34 Send this review to a friend
Noise Awaaaay !!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This small filter does what it says, it takes noise away. TS-430S has a good receiver, yet some weaker signals do get hidden or at least "were" hidden. I added ANEM and what a difference! Though not very inexpensive (for me), I can run a great old simple (like me)radio that competes with a more expensive rig. Previous reviewer indicated problem (unusual). Ralph said that he'd quality check before shipped. BHI ANEM is definitely appreciated and recommended.

K5USF Rating: 0/5 Mar 16, 2013 17:02 Send this review to a friend
Many Problems  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My unit operated sporadically with a TS-440S and a Icom SP-23 speaker. So, I made adjustments according to the manual. While doing this, two of the adjustable pots came apart. I contacted W4RT via his website yesterday. I have not heard a thing. Sometimes the unit works in bypass, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I get sound, sometimes I don't. I am a EE and I hope W4RT rectifies the situation so I can alter my rating.

G0MRR Rating: 5/5 Feb 18, 2012 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Noise away Anem. Never intended for CW. A message of interest  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I may well have done an injustice with my last comments as I now realise the Bhi Noise away module was never intended for CW use albeit some reasonable results have been shown by ham users. After a brief communication to ask Bhi I received a message which may well help CW users in the future.
"We would like to bring out a unit that improves CW operation and may do in the future. Our current DSP technology works out which signals are speech and which ones are just noise. This can cause it to not be a problem for certain cw tones. That is why we have never promoted it for cw. I do have some customers who do a little cw operation and find it excellent for this."
I will certainly keep a close eye on this product in the hope a unit for CW becomes available. So for Speech modes it definitely gets a 5 from me.

WB0FDJ Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2011 13:41 Send this review to a friend
Works great!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I considered having the "barebones" board mounted in my FT-817 but decided to buy this one to use as an outboard accessory. Now I can use it with any of my other rigs. It does a nice job of getting rid of the extraneous crud that seems to come through, especially on the 817. It really drops the audio hiss and cleans up the signals to make listening more comfortable. I use it on CW with lighter settings but have listened on SSB and there it really makes a difference. For the more basic rigs this is very useful. As I write this I have been cruising the bands with the FT-817, making contacts during the CQ DX CW contest and it makes all the difference.

W3DKV Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2010 10:12 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
An extremely useful station accessory, especially in noisy environments.

A comment in QSTís review of this unit originally delayed my purchase of it. QST commented that this unit ‟is not a noise blanker. It will not remove electrical impulse noise from lightning, automobile ignition systems or electric fences.‟

While the above may be true, Iíve found that it does not mean that nothing but receiver-generated white noise will be removed. I live in a townhome which suffers from the all too common neighbor-generated noise from TVs, light dimmer switches, computer hash, etc. And in my particular case, the Noise-Away has aided my shortwave reception considerably by resulting in substantially quieter receiving conditions. While your mileage may vary, I have found this unit to be well worth the price.

KB9TMP Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2010 04:52 Send this review to a friend
Excellent DSP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have run this on both my Kenwood TS-450S and Yaesu FT-817. It works great on both radios. Cleans up the background noise that makes HF hard for me (Tinnitus) to listen to. Wish they made a medical version for your ears! 8^) I'm now thinking about buying a second unit so I don't have to swap back and forth between radios. If I do get another it will definitely come from W4RT Electronics. When I got my ANEM it came without speaker or power cables. Ralph - N5DOI sent me an email a week later informing me that BHI had not shipped cables with his shipment and he had just found out mine shipped without them. He said he now had them and was going to send me the cables at his expense. I wondered why there were no cables but that's not a biggy. So here is a public THANKS to Ralph - N5DOI I will be a repeat customer because of the way he handled this mix-up.

73 de KB9TMP

K8SDK Rating: 5/5 Jun 1, 2010 18:36 Send this review to a friend
The Real Deal  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have an ICOM 756 Pro with IF DSP, so I was skeptical of the utility of this unit; but the rep from BHI Ltd at the W4RT booth at Dayton sold me on its ability to cancel signals that are not speech, and improve on the ICOM's ability to create a custom IF bandwidth. And so it does! This unit is very effective at reducing noise. The improvement of the audio quality is especially noticeable if there is lots of QRN, then I set the ICOM for a wider bandwidth, then process the signal with the ANEM. I get the fidelity of the wide signal, but the background noise is greatly reduced. For weak signals I reduce the bandwidth with the ICOM and then the ANEM really cleans up the signal and digs the audio up out of the remaining noise floor. The button controls take some getting used to, but this unit with minimal controls is a lot cheaper than getting all the bells & whistles on their other products. For me it is the real deal for the $...even with IF DSP.

WB9CUX Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2009 11:40 Send this review to a friend
Almost unbelievable!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After seeing all of the great reviews of the Noise Away module,I purchased one from W4RT and received it promptly. The unit was small and compact and connected into my radio setup easily. I took the advice of one of the other reviewers and set the input and output levels according to the BHI online instructions, which were, I believe, in the manuals section. The results were almost unbelievable. I tuned in on any weak SSB voice signal that I could find and pushed the DSP on button. Almost like magic, the background noise disappeared and only the voice remained. Again like most of the reviewers suggested, a setting of around 5 or 6 was the right amount of processing. Over and over I tried this on different weak signals and got the same great results. One area of improvement is the included instructions are pretty sketchy and one needs to go to the BHI website to learn how to properly setup your unit for processing steps of 4 or 8 and input/output levels. Under very high noise levels, a very very slight amount of processing noise can be heard on the voice but is not at all any problem. All in all, I love this unit and would recommend it to anyone who gets tired of irritating background noise. The price was very reasonable at around $180.00. 73s Lon A.

KC2RGW Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2009 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Update to my original review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first met one of these adaptive AF DSP modules in the version designed to be built into a radio. A friend had it and as soon as I got a demo of it, I knew I had to have one.

A lot of demo links for products are exaggerated or done under ideal conditions. This link here I can tell you is exactly what you can expect. Just play the sample .wav files. They speak for themselves.

I don't work anything but voice modes at this time so I can't give feedback beyond that. However for ragchew or nets, this thing is just ideal. It knocks the background hash down so that it is listenable for hours.

I have an older Kenwood TS-680S which has pretty much nothing for noise reduction or filtering so this is an invaluable add-on to this era of rig.

I should also mention that there are 8 levels of noise reduction, so finding the right balance is easy. You cycle through the levels, in half a second or so it samples the signal and 'settles' in. Fantastic.

I wanted to add that this thing is still working just great and the one big tip I can give with any of these active DSP units from BHI is that you have to adjust the gain staging for the input and output levels to get the most benefit.

You need to set the input drive level so that you are feeding quite a lot of signal from the source and adjust right to the clipping level. If you don't feed enough signal the DSP won't have as much data to analyze and won't be as effective.

If you take the time to fiddle just a bit with the internal pots, you can balance the input and output levels so that there isn't a drastic overall volume difference when you bypass the unit too.

This adjustment will vary a bit if you move this between rigs as the drive level on the audio outputs varies quite a lot at times.

With an older rig, this one piece will extend the usefulness remarkably. You may be surprised at how good your old rig is, all over again.

WH2X Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2009 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent AF DSP  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After having chat on the 20m with w2aji Mike he is the one who inform me regarding this AF DSP BY BHI (ANEM) after listening on the online demo @ the bhi web site.I decided to purchase for my Icom SP20 speaker.
I got mine @ w4rt a kit version Installed in Icom SP20 External Speaker this is a best addition to the my speaker. What you hear in Demo is what you will hear in the actual. It remove the white noise on the received & you will hear pure audio out of the speaker. My FT-1000mp Mark V Field w/ w2aji mod on roofing filter installed. This make a wonderful or best Transceiver ever had. Note use this also on my remote hf audio received link and it works great.

73 de wh2x