Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | BHI ANEM - Amplified Noise Elimination Module Help

Reviews Summary for BHI ANEM - Amplified Noise Elimination Module
BHI ANEM - Amplified Noise Elimination Module Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $227
Description: This is the similar amplified module they sell in other forms, but installed in a small module designed to be placed in-line with your speaker output. It is essentially portable, though requires power to run. Convenient to swap in and out of the shack and your mobile.

You can write your own review of the BHI ANEM - Amplified Noise Elimination Module.

KC2RGW Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2009 09:56 Send this review to a friend
Update to my original review  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first met one of these adaptive AF DSP modules in the version designed to be built into a radio. A friend had it and as soon as I got a demo of it, I knew I had to have one.

A lot of demo links for products are exaggerated or done under ideal conditions. This link here I can tell you is exactly what you can expect. Just play the sample .wav files. They speak for themselves.

I don't work anything but voice modes at this time so I can't give feedback beyond that. However for ragchew or nets, this thing is just ideal. It knocks the background hash down so that it is listenable for hours.

I have an older Kenwood TS-680S which has pretty much nothing for noise reduction or filtering so this is an invaluable add-on to this era of rig.

I should also mention that there are 8 levels of noise reduction, so finding the right balance is easy. You cycle through the levels, in half a second or so it samples the signal and 'settles' in. Fantastic.

I wanted to add that this thing is still working just great and the one big tip I can give with any of these active DSP units from BHI is that you have to adjust the gain staging for the input and output levels to get the most benefit.

You need to set the input drive level so that you are feeding quite a lot of signal from the source and adjust right to the clipping level. If you don't feed enough signal the DSP won't have as much data to analyze and won't be as effective.

If you take the time to fiddle just a bit with the internal pots, you can balance the input and output levels so that there isn't a drastic overall volume difference when you bypass the unit too.

This adjustment will vary a bit if you move this between rigs as the drive level on the audio outputs varies quite a lot at times.

With an older rig, this one piece will extend the usefulness remarkably. You may be surprised at how good your old rig is, all over again.
WH2X Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2009 21:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent AF DSP  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After having chat on the 20m with w2aji Mike he is the one who inform me regarding this AF DSP BY BHI (ANEM) after listening on the online demo @ the bhi web site.I decided to purchase for my Icom SP20 speaker.
I got mine @ w4rt a kit version Installed in Icom SP20 External Speaker this is a best addition to the my speaker. What you hear in Demo is what you will hear in the actual. It remove the white noise on the received & you will hear pure audio out of the speaker. My FT-1000mp Mark V Field w/ w2aji mod on roofing filter installed. This make a wonderful or best Transceiver ever had. Note use this also on my remote hf audio received link and it works great.

73 de wh2x
Hafa-Adai from the Island of Guam
WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2009 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Update--Use with Mk V Menu 9-  Time owned: more than 12 months
My Anem is still going strong. As an update, for the Ft1000MkV, I access menu 9-1 and turn the internal receiver amp setting up to 31 or so(as high as possible--- think its about 20 from the factory). The ANEM brings the noise right back down but not the increased voice signal level.

After 18 months, I use it almost every time on the air and love it.
Chris WO8USA
N9AOP Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2009 11:42 Send this review to a friend
great after fix  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got mine from W4RT. The only nit I have to pick is the 2 jacks. They were auful in my unit and I replaced them with 2 radio shack mono jacks. The rating would be 3 before the fix and 5 afterword.

I use this unit with an Omni VII and it takes away any leftover hiss out of the signal making listening a pleasure.
MM3XXW Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2008 10:11 Send this review to a friend
Simply fantastic!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Put this in-line between my TS850SAT & the matching SP-31 speaker.
The best piece of peripheral kit I've ever had the good sense to get a hold of, simply superb & can't praise it enough.

For those of us not using DSP rigs it's worth every penny you'll pay for it.