Reviews Categories | GPS receivers for APRS | Lowrance iFinder Pro Help

Reviews Summary for Lowrance iFinder Pro
Lowrance iFinder Pro Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $209
Description: Handheld GPS, 3 inch diagonal display with 240 by 180 pixels, 16-level gray scales. SD/MMC slot.
More info: http://www.lowrance.com/Manuals/Files/iFinderPro_0148-411_111203.pdf

You can write your own review of the Lowrance iFinder Pro.

N8QID Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2007 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Good older GPS for APRS  Time owned: more than 12 months
We picked up one of these GPS units back in 2005 when they were on clearance. We never really used it that much, but I found recently that they support the NMEA-0183 protocol, so they will work with Kenwood's APRS capable radios. The interfance cables are getting hard to find though, so if you see one, pick it up.

I have it interfaced to my Kenwood TH-D7AG, and the radio gets position data from the GPS, and the GPS displays callsigns as waypoints from the radio. It supports 9 character data from the radio, so it will display a full six character callsign plus a dash and an SSID.

This is a handheld, outdoor GPS, so the receiver doesn't work too well in a car unless you attach an external antenna and it does not perform turn-by-turn navigation. However, I really enjoy using it in my car to plot other nearby APRS stations. (I have a small magnetic antenna on my trunklid for the GPS, and it never loses fix with that antenna connected.)

If you find one of these for a good price, get it and use it with your APRS-enabled Kenwood rig.