Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Hi-Q-5/160 RT Help

Reviews Summary for Hi-Q-5/160 RT
Hi-Q-5/160 RT Reviews: 21 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $550
Description: This is the LATEST innovation in HF mobile antennas! It is the PATENTED version of the standard Hi-Q Series of HF mobile and base antennas. The loading coil has 9.5" usable travel with approximately 350 uH inductance.

The Hi-Q-5/160 will cover the 10-160 M bands (i.e.: 1.8 MHz to 30 MHz.) and is offered in either a MT (Manually Tunable) or RT (Remotely Tunable - motorized) version.

You can write your own review of the Hi-Q-5/160 RT.

KA2VTI Rating: 5/5 Jun 14, 2016 21:48 Send this review to a friend
Efficient RUGGED radiator !  Time owned: more than 12 months
After years of ownership and using it everyday on a heavy duty service vehicle, the antenna has not had one failure or maintenance need except for keeping it clean. Over 100,000 miles of pot holes, low trees, bridges and running an average of approximately 600 to 700 watts and up to and including 1200 watts regularly through it from 160 on up, NOT ONE FAILURE to tune or arc over between coil turns! NO B.S.!
With an overall height of 13-3/4 feet it often is contacted by branches large and small with no detriment mechanically or electrically. If you are willing to do the work of effective mechanical mounting, grounding / creating a counterpoise and proper RF feeding of a Hi-Q antenna you will be handsomely rewarded with outstanding performance in exchange for the premium price you paid for it !
VK4SX Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2015 21:46 Send this review to a friend
Top performer  Time owned: more than 12 months
as per my 4-80 MC-1 Review, nothing bad to say here, have a FEW HI-Q antennas, this particular 5-160 Model is my WILD WX antenna, it is mounted on my steel shed, and connected to 120 + radials, and REMOTELY Controlled via a 330mhz wifi system, it is 30mtrs from my house, I have a 6ft 10mm ally rod, threaded in 3/8 x 24 fitted with a DX ENGINEERING HOTZ RODZ cap hat hub, 3 x 2.5Mtr x 3mm SS rods as Capacitive loading rods, and then a 2.65mtr Hard ground whip, it is designed for WILD WX, so when the ULTRA-BEAM is down, I use the 5/160, in this config with the big cap hat, I can tune 10mhz thru 1.8Mhz which suits me,
nothing but Super Duper Signal reports, and hears extremely well,
a most excellent piece of engineering,
HL5ZEE Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2015 16:52 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressed!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had my Hi-Q 5/160 shipped to Korea last October. I am a new ham so it was a learning experience in setting it up but that was part of the fun. I am using the antenna as a base fixed to my balcony 35m up in an apartment building.

I have had fantastic results and worked all over the world with great reports (250W Max). I've already clocked up 76 countries in that time which I think is pretty good and all with the Hi-Q.

Highly recommended! 10/10 from me.
KC8TYK Rating: 5/5 Apr 25, 2015 04:54 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased my hi q 5/160rt in 2009 and all I can say is Wow. This thing preformed excellent if I could hear them I could work them with 100 watts. I never thought I would need to replace it but the time has come. I left town to work in North Dakota for a 2week hitch and left it parked at the airport in Pittsburgh and it was stolen from my pickup truck. Guess even thieves know a great antenna when they see one.
VK5ZG Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2014 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello all
I have been in possession of a Hi-Q 5-160 screwdriver antenna for some 8 years, with his antenna being in constant throughout that time, either as a portable or fixed position at my QTH, with tremendous results.

The antenna has endured extreme weather conditions and NEVER failed.

However, just recently I noticed that the motor was struggling a little when re-tuning the antenna.

I disassembled the antenna, and when testing the motor, I found that it was running freely with ample torque.

The culprit was found when I tried to move the plunger to the contactor up and down manually – It was very stiff.

Anyway, sent an email to Charlie explaining my issue, and a response was received immediately, advising all that was required was some WD 40 lubricant.

I removed one of the brass screws at the base of the coil, and sprayed 2 squirts of Electrical Clean and Lube.

The problem was immediately fixed.

If this is all that this antenna required after 8 years of constant service, it speaks volumes of the quality of manufacture.

It looks like the only service in the future will be another 2 squirts of Electrical Clean and Lube in 8 years’ time.
I have no doubt that this antenna will outlast me!
In my opinion, Hi-Q manufactures the finest screwdriver antennas available.

Yes, they may cost a few dollars more, but they are worth every cent.

Do yourself a favour - If you are looking to purchase one to these types of antennas, save up the few extra dollars, buy a Hi-Q and look no further. You will not regret it.

VE7HMW Rating: 5/5 May 29, 2014 10:24 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna ever used for mobile  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had bought the Hi-Q 5/160 about 10 years ago. It was one of the first antennas that Charlie had the reed switch build in. The antenna has lived in the Yukon, Canada for 2 winters on the back of my 1993 GMC pick up with about 750000 miles on the antenna. It would still be on the truck, but it did not survive the moose accident and sold the truck for parts. My main bands used was 40 and 80 meters. The antenna performed flawless in average -30 deg. The antennas never seized due to the cold or got road grime (salt and dirt) in the coil (sealed unit). The only maintanence that I have done, was to wipe down the antenna once in a while.

I still have the antenna and will be going on my 2003 Jeep TJ (Wrangler).

Mike VE7HMW (Vancouver, BC Canada)
KA2VTI Rating: 5/5 Apr 2, 2012 09:05 Send this review to a friend
Durable, efficient, dependable operation and worth every penny  Time owned: more than 12 months
Regarding the Charlie Gyennes AND HI Q 5-160 antennae I can only say DON'T WASTE ANOTHER DOLLAR ON THE COMPETITIONS PRODUCTS ! We all desire dependability, efficiency and cost effectiveness in any purchase we make, this is undeniable. With that said how many of us have found out after we saved a buck that we come to realize, Oh Well, chalk that purchase up to experience or lack there of. The durability derived from Hi Q design standards we would hope any product we purchase would be held to are excellent. No cheap money saving measures employed at HI Q ! The other reviews claiming 10's or hundreds of thousands of miles of dependable service are absolutely true in my personal experience of being associated with 4 of his antennaes I have either owned or installed over the last 10 plus years. From superior motor drives and mechanical components to the coil contact disc and coil forms the antennae is almost genuinely bullet proof. No water or condensation issues, no corrosion or mechanical rough spots during operation no matter the environment or temperature. AND WHERE THE RF MEETS THE ETHER.... The efficiency of the antennaes design is made clear the moment you get that first signal report. Make no mistake a quality installation must be performed however if you follow the basic instructions available from HI Q AND in general you will be a proud owner operator just like the rest of us !! Regarding Charlie, As a fellow business owner I appreciate and understand how hard he tries to provide genuine customer service along with obvious mentoring to ANYONE who asks. The Bottom Line is that in my experience Charlie would bend over backwards to satisfy any unhappy customer, period ! 7 3 and good DX. De ka2vti
AG7K Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2012 22:44 Send this review to a friend
Still going strong after 4 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an update of my previous review (2008). The Hi-Q is still on the Park Avenue and has had NO problems whatsoever. I do clean it regularly and clean the connections every year. Consistently has a big mobile signal on 40 and 80 meters (according to various NET controls) with only 100 watts. My only complaint is that it should have an ERP of 1000 watts with 100 in :)
WN7T Rating: 5/5 Nov 9, 2011 22:22 Send this review to a friend
A well built rugged and effective design  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used this antenna mobile since 2004 to great effect. I have taken first place (mobile mixed mode) a couple of times in my State's QSO party, the Salmon Run. The materials of construction are excellent and the antenna has held up rather well over many thousands of miles of use. I feed my antenna with a W2FMI UNUN with two impedance taps selected remotely with a Kilovac K43R latching vacuum relay.

Recently, I managed to have a slow speed collision with the antenna and my carport roof. The antenna lost the battle, with the stainless mast (a custom 5' long lower mast) bending over about 30 degrees. The Lexan coil housing actually struck the edge of my carport. It was slightly scuffed, but otherwise undamaged!

I removed the 5-160 RT coil from the bent mast and sent it off to Charlie for evaluation. He was quick to respond with the determination that the coil was still in great shape! This is quality service, folks. I have made a new mast for the coil and now the antenna is back in service like the mishap never happened. It is a rugged efficient design.

Paul WN7T
W8JN Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2011 21:58 Send this review to a friend
AMAZING  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my 5-160 for 3 years and am so impressed I ordered a second one to build a 5-160 TAD. You can buy cheaper mobile antennas, however keep in mind the old expression "You don't get what you don't pay for".
The efficiency of this antenna is spectacular. When I tell people on 160 that I am on a mobile antenna running 1.0 kw, they do not believe me. If you buy a cheap pair of pants that don't fit, was it really a good deal? Spend the extra money for a HI-Q antenna. You will never regret it! Charlie and Woody are geniuses.