Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-5R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-5R
Yaesu VX-5R Reviews: 272 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $249 (AES and HRO)
Description: The VX-5R is a miniature tri band FM transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=nFLhjiVz8z8%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=1

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-5R.

KF6VTA Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 05:41 Send this review to a friend
Still great.Still there!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I remember my first two VX-5R handhelds when i was living in Seattle. I used to have lots of fun, both black, both great handhelds. Fairly good rejecting Intermod, very sensitive, fast scanning of memories or VFos...Tons of features, but overall...great aluminum case, resistant!!!!
I sold both of those radios and went out of the hobby. I came back a year ago and the first radio i bought was a VX-5r,, this time silver. If you come across a good unit on Ebay or anywhere else...Get it!!! These radios are built to last. Mine was one of the last to be produced...Yes!, they are slow opening CTCSS, but DCS is included and works great. Full tested 5watts of power on both bands, not too loud audio, but obviously they needed the space to include of the features possible inside. My volume knob is always half the way...and no more. I don't like distorted sound. Using the AA pack volume is even lower and has to be adusted a little below the middle of the way. Power is restricted on that mode. Li-Ion battery is shared with VX-6R and VX-7R and some other models, including the Vertex Airband portables. I've got the CD-15A rapid charger...Good to go. I had many radios...many...I always come back to my trusty VX-5r...I will say what other people mentioned...If you come across a good unit...Get it! You won't regret it!

KE5EDV Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2012 01:12 Send this review to a friend
Completely satisfied. Good first Tri-Band Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this HT when I first got my license. When I first received it, I was surprised at how small it was. I've owned it for 7 years and have never had any problems and am still using the original battery.
I would say programming was a little much. But, not having had anything before to compare it to, I didn't know. Now, it's second nature. I really like the radio. I just hope that the new radio I just purchased works as well and last as long as this one has.

KA3RCS Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2012 22:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent turn of the century radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my VX-5 new around 2001, and it still looks good and works flawlessly. The all-metal construction and small size blew away everything else available at the time. The expanded frequency coverage over previous radios was a big plus as well. It was also my first computer programmable HT, which conveniently worked with the same cable which I already had for the VR-500 and free software.

The only reason why the VX-5 ceased to be my primary HT was the introduction of the VX-7, which is still the best HT ever made (and I've used a lot of them). The 7 builds on all of the strengths of the 5, and adds even more. The only area where the 5 has a bit of an edge is that it is slightly smaller. However, it is not fair to rate the 5 based on a later model. For what it is, the 5 absolutely gets a 5!

KT4F Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2012 15:02 Send this review to a friend
Energizer Bunny  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought this unit back in 2000 new. Like the Energizer Bunny it just keeps on working... with no problems. Don't know how long it will keep working but I have certainly got my money's worth out of it. I love the metal case and size, when you hold it, it doesn't feel like a cheap plastic box. The rec and tx audio is good. My only regret is that I didn't purchase a second new one when they were still available. The only other radio I have bought that has lasted longer with no problems is my Icom 2AT, and yes it is still working though it is in retirement and only operated occasionally.

N4KTZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 4, 2012 17:49 Send this review to a friend
Nice 3 Band HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my VX 5R for years now. It has and is a very good radio. While it takes some work to operate and learn I am sure a computer connection would make it easier. Mine has 6 Meters(you have to replace the top of the rubber antenna with an included longer piece) I have not made a contact. I would love to work a 6 meter repeater but I do not think many are around here. It also has 2 meters and 440 mhz! I can also pick up FM broadcast and aircraft! The battery lasts a long time and is used in many of their other HT's. My VX6 uses the same battery. If you can get a VX5R at a hamfest, grab it!

WC3O Rating: 5/5 Sep 28, 2011 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Cool beans  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought it new YEARS ago. Never missed a beat. On second battery. I bought a 6R, I like my old 5R better. (Not that the 6R is bad) Someone sold a Motorola belt clip that was a huge improvment over the stock clip. I wish he was still around selling those. Great radio.

KA8BYU Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2011 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio still  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wow, what a great tri-band handheld, I have owned mine since 1999. I still have the original battery, it finally started to decrease in operating time this year so I bought a new battery for it, plus I have the AA battery case and the drop-in charger as well.
I have programmed all the freqs in it yes all 220+ of them by hand, it's not that hard to do.
When I worked for an aviation support services company this radio went with me all over the country, and was reprogramed for local 2m/440 and 6 meter repeaters as well as tower and other aircraft/ems/police/fire freqs quickly.
Yes it can get warm on 5 watts in an extended QSO, but with the TX save feature turned on it was not too bad, a lot of times you did not need high power. I used it from lots of hotel rooms with a mag mount and speaker mike.
All in all a good solid radio, if you find one on E-Bay buy it!

VK3ART Rating: 4/5 Sep 13, 2011 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Turn on issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned it for about 10 years. Still on original battery and performs like new. The only issue over the last 4 years is it is hard to turn on when cold. Leave it in the sun for 10 minutes or a few minutes under a hair dryer, starts straight away. Turns OFF immediately, hot or cold ? Now only use it when away on holidays where output power & DTMF is important.
Russ VK3ART

W2ZOU Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2011 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also had purchased one 10+ years ago, sold it in favor of another. I recently purchased it again almost new on ebay. Great radio, small, love the shortwave. Get one while you still can.

W8AQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2011 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Very Capable Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my first VX-5R slightly used and with a ton of accessories back in 2002. I had little idea of what to expect but it quickly became my favorite HT.

Yeah it could get a bit warm when in a long QSO but it did a nice job for me. And having the shortwave when I was traveling was quite enjoyable. I took along a small length of wire to hang in a hotel room when on the road and it did a great job.

Unfortunately, I sold my VX-5R during one of my "I want a newer radio" episodes and I've regretted it ever since.

That is until today when I bought a replacement VX-5R used...nearly a decade later. Yeah, at this point there are much more modern radios but I look forward to my re-acquaintence with the little Yaesu!