Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Yaesu VX-5R Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu VX-5R
Yaesu VX-5R Reviews: 276 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $249 (AES and HRO)
Description: The VX-5R is a miniature tri band FM transceiver
More info: http://www.yaesu.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=111&encProdID=nFLhjiVz8z8%3D&DivisionID=65&isArchived=1

You can write your own review of the Yaesu VX-5R.

KA8BYU Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2011 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio still  Time owned: more than 12 months
Wow, what a great tri-band handheld, I have owned mine since 1999. I still have the original battery, it finally started to decrease in operating time this year so I bought a new battery for it, plus I have the AA battery case and the drop-in charger as well.
I have programmed all the freqs in it yes all 220+ of them by hand, it's not that hard to do.
When I worked for an aviation support services company this radio went with me all over the country, and was reprogramed for local 2m/440 and 6 meter repeaters as well as tower and other aircraft/ems/police/fire freqs quickly.
Yes it can get warm on 5 watts in an extended QSO, but with the TX save feature turned on it was not too bad, a lot of times you did not need high power. I used it from lots of hotel rooms with a mag mount and speaker mike.
All in all a good solid radio, if you find one on E-Bay buy it!

VK3ART Rating: 4/5 Sep 13, 2011 16:25 Send this review to a friend
Turn on issue  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have owned it for about 10 years. Still on original battery and performs like new. The only issue over the last 4 years is it is hard to turn on when cold. Leave it in the sun for 10 minutes or a few minutes under a hair dryer, starts straight away. Turns OFF immediately, hot or cold ? Now only use it when away on holidays where output power & DTMF is important.
Russ VK3ART

W2ZOU Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2011 14:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I also had purchased one 10+ years ago, sold it in favor of another. I recently purchased it again almost new on ebay. Great radio, small, love the shortwave. Get one while you still can.

W8AQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 13, 2011 13:12 Send this review to a friend
Very Capable Rig  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my first VX-5R slightly used and with a ton of accessories back in 2002. I had little idea of what to expect but it quickly became my favorite HT.

Yeah it could get a bit warm when in a long QSO but it did a nice job for me. And having the shortwave when I was traveling was quite enjoyable. I took along a small length of wire to hang in a hotel room when on the road and it did a great job.

Unfortunately, I sold my VX-5R during one of my "I want a newer radio" episodes and I've regretted it ever since.

That is until today when I bought a replacement VX-5R used...nearly a decade later. Yeah, at this point there are much more modern radios but I look forward to my re-acquaintence with the little Yaesu!

KA2AYR Rating: 3/5 May 18, 2010 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Worked good when I got it, but has not held up  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one just before Y2K so that I could listen to shortwave radio. I also liked having a 6 meter HT, even though the antenna was horribly ineffecient and a better antenna was heavier than the radio. Over the years, the display started to go out. Like a 60's TV set, a physical shock (i.e., bang the back of the unit on the table) gets it going again. Now, the radio transmits on 440, but doesn't receive. I suppose it's been "rode hard" but so has my FT-50R and that's still going. Mine has seen better days but was pretty neat when I first got it.

KC9MEN Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2010 19:36 Send this review to a friend
Love this radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had several HT's and like this one the best. Best reception I've heard out of such a small speaker. FM reception nice and a nice bonus. Good reports. Very durable. Have dropped it several times and no problems. Replaced stock antenna with a Nagayo 702 and works MUCH better. I Don't ever use six meters so antenna is fine but antenna won't work on 6m. Can get better deals on VX-5 than the more expensive models with no major differences except cost. Save a few bucks and buy this one if you can find it.

N9ZAS Rating: 4/5 Jan 2, 2010 00:56 Send this review to a friend
Good - Great  Time owned: more than 12 months
For a tri-band ht which has been d/c'd for some time now I would have to say I would buy another if I found a good deal! I will probably buy a vx7r since they use the same battery and access.
The vx5r is built like a rock,loud and fairly easy to program by keypad once you get used to it! Mine is pretty sensitive and transmits well!
Wide band receive is nice too for scanning,which it does well! Downsides are power button takes patience to turn it on now due to age,print is gone on many of the keys which is not a problem if you have them memorized! All in all,this thing has taken quite a beating and still sounds great on both tx/rx! I hope the vx7r is just as much fun,and as rugged!
n9zas

M3LCA Rating: 3/5 Apr 29, 2009 16:15 Send this review to a friend
good handy pity about the dead display  Time owned: more than 12 months
Had my VX5 for over 5 years and it has served me well~that is until just recently now the display is dead and I've absolutely no idea what frequency I'm on .
I must admit I've had lots of use out of it during the years and it's probably life expired although I did expect it to last longer .

I've been reading the reviews on the VX6 and although I said no more Yaesu products it looks like the VX6 will be my next purchase hope it lasts a bit longer than the VX5 did.

The VX5 can't be bought new now as it's a old model so if you are considering buying second hand make sure there are no issues with the display.
my problems started with the display getting scrambled then the display eventually died completely

K7FO Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2009 09:43 Send this review to a friend
Solid Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned several Yaesu handhelds. The VX5 is the one that goes in the pocket or back pack. As someone mentioned before, it is built like a small grenade. Mine is over 6 years old and two batteries still hold a decent charge. The buttons do show wear and the backlight is weaker than some of the newer Yaesu radios. The menu is also a little different than the others but programming memories is not a problem from the keypad. I have worked satellites with it. I recently bought the VX6 and enjoy the interchangeable batteries and charging cradle. I do believe the VX5 is more durable however. Great bargain on the used market.

G7EMD Rating: 3/5 Nov 9, 2008 01:12 Send this review to a friend
no longer used  Time owned: more than 12 months
I NO LONGER USE MY VX-5R BECOUSE I CANNOT READ THE MARKINGS EVEN WITH MY NEW READING SPECS. THE LETTERING IS IS JUST TOO SMALL,THE MAKERS HAVE CRAMMED TOO MUCH INFO. INTO TOO SMALL A SPACE. MY VX-5R IS NOW MOTHBALLED AND REPLACED BY A PAIR OF PUXING 777s (1 vhf&1 uhf) and all available accessories for beteen 120-150 from hong kong