Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | OpenTracker+ Help

Reviews Summary for OpenTracker+
OpenTracker+ Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $$46.00
Description: The OpenTracker is an APRS unit that transmits data via amateur radio Packet. Usually the OpenTracker is connected to the microphone input of a radio. Data from a GPS receiver gets encoded and transmitted in APRS format, and in many parts of the world there's an extensive digipeater and gateway network that'll get the data onto the Internet.
More info: http://n1vg.net/opentracker/

You can write your own review of the OpenTracker+.

KE7FD Rating: 5/5 Jul 23, 2012 08:54 Send this review to a friend
Great unit, but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have your soldering iron handy. Let me explain.

I first bought the Open Tracker almost 5 years ago but never put that one into service. Then just recently I bought the newest version with the USB port on it since using that mode would be easiest across all of the computers I have around. I like all the features the Opentracker USB offers, especially the Power Control feature that allows you to turn on an HT (or whatever) for a few seconds before transmitting the APRS data. It goes back to sleep saving battery power. Here's the "but...": That function is under powered for most devices to trigger a relay. Scott suggests using a solid state relay and with only 4ma of current, perhaps that really does work. The 5v TTL output really needs more current to drive almost anything else. You can turn to the user's group and if you don't mide taking months to get it tow rok, youo're set. User groups are a poor substitute for real documentation. Scott sent me with another firmware release that provides closer to 15ma, but the TTL of 5v drops to 1.25 volts which as it turns out is ideal for an optocoupler. I now output the Power Control pins (hence the soldering iron) through a hole in the plastic case (nasty), that goes to a 4N25 optocoupler which drives a 12v relay. The relay is in series with the HT power. No dropping resistor for the LED is required when using the modified firmware, just ask Scott for the modified firmware.

The Smart Beaconing is great. It works as advertised.

Glen - KE7FD

VE7JWS Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2011 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a wonderful, flexible product. I've been very happy with it's ease of setup, options, and performance. Now in use as a portable unit built into a waterproof case which can be moved from car to car to backpack. Using an old Kenwood TK-240D handheld I found on eBay for .99, a gel-cell and a Garmin GP72, this makes for a versatile package. Much, much better than the FoxTrak unit I tried to get working. Insuccessfully, I might add.

KF5EFR Rating: 5/5 Nov 10, 2010 14:20 Send this review to a friend
Service Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wrote a review on the OT+ a few weeks ago, when I had just gotten it and started playing around with it. I have been able to setup a WX station using the U100 from Peet Bros, and the OT+.

The customer service at Argent data is really great. I had a problem transmitting my weather data over my handheld, and Scott, from Argent data, stayed with me through the process and was really helpful. I got it working now!

NS5U Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2010 07:02 Send this review to a friend
Simple reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
Very easy to set and forget. It just works and the price is incredible.

WA3LWR Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2010 06:42 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a few versions and been very pleased with how well they work. Built one without any problems, which for a non-builder like me, is fantastic. The best part is that Steve is always on the user group to assist and very quick to respond to any problems the owners might encounter.

KC0GLA Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2009 18:32 Send this review to a friend
Versital and Upgradebale  Time owned: more than 12 months
I built this over a year ago and love it. I have noticed a couple of little glitches but they have been resolved in firmware. I also like that there are new features that also have been added.

I bought this with one of their GPS receivers and have been happy with both. I hooked this up to a old hand held and installed it into a metal hip roof tool box. I hook up a mag mount 5/8 wave antenna. This makes it able to be moved from vehicle to vehicle. I have used this for weather spotting and it works well.

I do not recommend this as a beginner kit with the small spacing of the pins on the IC and the amount of components that are in this kit.

KD8FJH Rating: 3/5 Oct 10, 2008 16:08 Send this review to a friend
Good unit.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Mine went together fine, and worked perfectly for several months. I started having weird reset issues with the unit. Traded several emails with Scott. Tried new wiring, ferrites, re-flashing firmware, shielding, and several other things, all with no luck.

Eventually, I replaced the unit with an OT2m, and had no issues.

Overall, it's a great unit for the price and functionality, but do yourself a favor and step up to the OT2m. The additional features are worth the price difference.

SQ1LZT Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2008 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Great design!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Easy to build just in 2 hours of soldering. Easy to configure. Works stable. Open software allows your modifications.

KE7FD Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2007 07:55 Send this review to a friend
Easy to use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This will be a commentary in progress. I have only programmed the unit and yet to put into service which I hope to do in the next couple of days.

Since I was in a hurry, I opted for the tested and assembled version of this slick unit. Argent customer service (www.argentdata.com) is excellent and responed to my need to get my hands on one before leaving town. The OpenTracker+ is configured with software the user downloads from the web (look in Google - I couldn't find it at argent.com). The pdf manual explains in adequate detail what each field in the software is, although for us neophytes, a bit more explaination wouldn't hurt. Another real plus for the configuration (Windoz only) is the user can update the firmware with the click of the mouse. Kudos guys! One more thing, get the required cables from Argent at the same time you order the unit. Their pricing is very good, and saves you from rolling your own or when the junk box is too far away to sort through.

I hope to report on the OpenTracker+ shortly. So far, so very good.