Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | Argent Data Tracker2 model OT2m Help

Reviews Summary for Argent Data Tracker2 model OT2m
Argent Data Tracker2 model OT2m Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$85.00
Description: The Tracker2 acts as a bidirectional tracker (transmitting positions and plotting received stations as waypoints), digipeater, and limited KISS TNC.
Intelligent APRS tracker with SmartBeaconing™ support and automatic beacon rate control
Waypoint output to GPS including symbols, comment text, and altitude information for remote stations
Advanced APRS digipeater features
Timeslotting for reliability in high-traffic situations
Remote configuration and diagnostics
Weather station support
Free firmware updates for enhancements and bug fixes
KISS support for use with PC-based APRS programs
Build-in temperature and voltage sensors for remote monitoring
Integrated 20-amp solid state relay for remote control and radio power save functions
More info: http://www.argentdata.com/

You can write your own review of the Argent Data Tracker2 model OT2m.

AE6ZW Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2011 21:13 Send this review to a friend
receive is senstive.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I had a chance to evaluate this units for commercial applications to be used in 12.5kHz step, +/- 2.5 kHz deviation, it is as sensitive as KPC-3 plus , which I evaluated also. for APRS, it works well as also. and I like the fact it has solid states switch to turn ON , OFF TRX.
also, tested this units with Garmin NAVI units, OT2M send the serial data to GARMIN units and displayed icons, in dispatch mode.

K7RBW Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2009 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Amazing piece of hardware  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I realize I just got the OT2m yesterday, but in just a few minutes, I was connected to the APRS network, sending and receiving packets, messages, everything!

I've been researching trackers for the past couple of months and last week decided to take the plunge. I found a reconditioned Nuvi 350 on sale at Radio Shack and ordered that to serve as the control head. When I placed the order, I ordered the following from Argent Data: OT2m, GPS cable w/ DB9F, DB9 Y-cable, config cable. I got the radio cables from Byonics because they showed the schematic so I could verify the connections before purchasing. I got a 6-pin mini-DIN and an HT cable for the radio connector on the OT2m.

When all the parts came, I connected them up and the Nuvi 350 booted into Dispatch mode and started recording stations! I had my PC connected to the OT2m through the serial port but configuration commands can also be sent through the GPS so a PC isn't necessary (however, it is easier to use than the GPS for configuration).

The hardest part for me was configuring my FT-857 to behave on VHF (set the RF-Gain knob to squelch, turn off the AGC and DSP seemed to make it receive packets better). All that took an additional minute.

It also works well through the handheld (an old Alinco DJ-580T dual band). I just wish I didn't have to move a jumper every time I want to change from the mobile to the handheld.

My only complaint is the documentation on APRS takes some determination and dedication to figure out.

N3UJJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2009 13:17 Send this review to a friend
2 years and going strong  Time owned: more than 12 months
What more can I say, I love the OpenTracker product line. The OpenTracker OT2m takes things to a neew level.

DiGi, Tracker, KISS TNC, etc, all in a box the size of a pack of smokes.

I own 3 OT2m's, (ordering 4th soon).

Scott Millers support is second to none, (he even answers the phone).

Keep up the great work Scott

WR5RR Rating: 5/5 Jul 26, 2009 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Tracker2 For APRS and Messaging  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I spent quite a bit of time reading about available hardware for APRS tracking. I wanted to be able to participate in tracking and send and receive messages. I chose the Argent Tracker2, because of features and price.
I installed it along with an ICOM 281H in a small toolbox. Drilled vent holes, added a small fan for cooling. I also bought the cable for the Garmin nuvi 350. The nuvi 350 allows you to see other APRS units as waypoints in the range you set. It overwrites moving waypoints so you don't overload the nuvi. This setup also allows receiving and sending text.
If you are not interested in seeing other APRS units on your nuvi you can turn the waypoints off and just use it for tracking (you) and messaging.
I also have a Garmin C530 that was rumored to set multiple waypoints for moving APRS units. I bought a cable for the Tracker and tried it. It does set multiple waypoints. It is useable if you turn the waypoints off, or delete them periodicly. It does messaging very well. Either way the Artgent Tracker2 is a very fine unit.

KD8FJH Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2008 16:01 Send this review to a friend
Best APRS solution  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Used this for several months coupled with the Puxing PX-777 radio and several GPS units, including a Foretrex 101 and eTrex Legend. APRS stations were displayed on GPS fine. Also used with a GPS20 embedded receiver with no issues.

Used this on a field exercise with a laptop connected for additional mapping & tracking capability. Used tracking, telemetry, GPS display, and TNC functions all simultaneously with no problems.

Just upgraded to the nuvi 350. message send/receivie capabilities seem to work fine in addition to the aforementioned features.

The combination of functionality, interfacing, and price of this unit make it a clear winner, IMHO.

WX4GPS Rating: 5/5 May 26, 2008 20:25 Send this review to a friend
Yes it DOES!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Okay I have been a user of the Tiny Trak, which I had a radio dedicated and a GPs for, works great. But I wanted to be able to see activity as well especially when I went on high altitude balloon launches. So this required me to have an additional TNC and computer and possibly a 2nd GPS. Well this device when I saw it at Dayton Hamvention plotting all the APRS activity in real time along with your current location. Then I was surprised when I got home to learn that it will do all this plus be a smart tracker on top of that all with the same GPS and radio. Its Bi directional!!! I am using it on a Garmin 60C with very good results. There is very few GPS that support the protocol, so this is the biggest thing to watch out for. Set up was easy I also used it in KISS mode with winAPRS, worked instantly, and you can easily switch between these modes in a heart beat with a couple returns with a computer attached or a command to put it back in Garmin mode. It was well thought out. and what you get for the price its great especially if you already have a compatible GPS. This inexpensive solution did so much for me and reduced the amount of stuff needed in my car and now I can see local activity and even see my last position digipeated. And using the GPS function I can see how far and direction to each station and also have the GPS guide me to that location. They also make a board that will fit in the Alinco DR-135 to do the same thing, cheaper then using the TNC option and is better functions for APRS then what you get with the Alinco option.