Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | HyGain Patriot AV-640 Help

Reviews Summary for HyGain Patriot AV-640
HyGain Patriot AV-640 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $399.95
Description: This a vertical 40 meter through 6 meter.
More info: http://www.hy-gain.com/products.php?prodid=AV-640

You can write your own review of the HyGain Patriot AV-640.

3DA0NJ Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2012 12:28 Send this review to a friend
3700 dx contacts in 6 months  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had my Hy-Gain AV-640 Patriot up at 36 feet for 6 months and have made 3700 dx contacts world wide. This antenna is unbelievable as far as verticals go. I do not use it on 40m and it seems a bit narrow for this band but HY-Gain suggests it works there.
I can only recommend this antenna and would purchase another one if this one died...........

K9GE Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2009 10:01 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi - I've been hamming for over 55 years and have always considered a vertical ant. to be some what of dummy load until recently when my son bought me a Hygain AV-640 vertical. I've been pleasently suprised with it since putting it up at about 15 feet. I'm almost 81 years old and putting it together and erecting it on a steel pipe was very easy. The directions are excellent and extra parts were included in the package. The SWR is below 1.5-1 on all bands,with only one adjustment on 40 meters required.It sometimes out perfoms my dipoles depending on conditions, location etc. I can put a thousand watts to it with no problems. It's a great ant. but a little pricey, but I think worth the money. It's a keeper. Tks - Harold

KG4QPQ Rating: 4/5 Sep 30, 2007 16:35 Send this review to a friend
This could be a great antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am in a location where I really need a multiband vertical. I had poor luck with a Hustler 5BTV that this replaces since I really couldn't do an effective job with the required radials. The engineering on this antenna is fantastic. Once I got it together and got it up, I put my PL269 analyser on it and the performance was fantastic! That being said, the manufacturing leaves a lot to be desired. It comes with all stainless hardware and the rest is pretty much aluminum. Unfortunately the first problem I encountered was that the threads on the stubs and the supplied nuts didn't match up real well. I was also short four screws. With the trip to the hardware store it turned into an all day job. I recommend, as HyGain does, a heavy steel pipe to mount this one. At 25 feet it is a load. This antenna doesn't require any tunning and I found SWR to be under 2:1 across all the HAM bands. It is a good antenna and despite the couple of hardware problems, I would buy another. In my location it definitely outperforms the 5BTV. The counterpoise and radiator system is very effective.