Reviews Categories | Receivers: Commercial/Military/Marine adaptable to ham use | Micro-Tel PR 700 receiver Help

Reviews Summary for Micro-Tel PR 700 receiver
Micro-Tel PR 700 receiver Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $over 30,000 new
Description: A spook receiver, possibly designed to find RF bugs? LOADED with features including all mode reception AM CW FMW FMN USB LSB and tunable SCA (subcarrier). Has spectrum scope and range from VLF to 2 GHz.

You can write your own review of the Micro-Tel PR 700 receiver.

WIRETWISTER Rating: 4/5 Mar 5, 2012 07:04 Send this review to a friend
I've swapped the PR700B  Time owned: more than 12 months
I swapped the PR700B last month with Asus (at) rogers.com It was just too much radio for my humble needs. Asus reports that it was in fantastic shape except for the 'marker' which I never used. He may list it for sale when the golf season arrives in Ottawa. Please don't email me. I don't have it any more but it was a joy to own.

WIRETWISTER Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2012 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Micro-Tel PR 700B  Time owned: more than 12 months
The photo attached to the initial review depicts the PR700(A). The location of the two antenna inputs was my clue.

Adams Russell (Micro-Tel Division) introduced the PR 700B in July 1979. The spectrum coverage is the same but the local oscillator radiation has been surpressed to -70 dBm. maximum.
The PR 700B is a superb radio and a joy to use.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2009 11:41 Send this review to a friend
second review  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have now spent more time with this amazing breast and I am very pleased with how well it works over a huge swath of RF spectrum. Given its complexity and abundance of now unavailable custom parts, you are taking a risk buying one, but I think it is a risk worth taking. This rcvr rocks!!! It can pick up weak NDBs on LF, works fine as a BCB DX rcvr, gets good weak signal SSB copy on a crowded ham HF band (has a good selection of useable IF filters), can not only rcv FM broadcast stations but can demodulate the hidden content on their subcarriers, has a KILLER spectrum scope that is more useful than the one on the ICOM 756 PRO III, does fine on VHF and UHF and even has video output. I bought mine for under $500 on eBay although they seem to go a lot higher now. Mine had two badly mangled handles (on the rear panel), but the rest of the set is clean and straight. The cosmetic damge on the handles is probably why I got it for less than the going price. If you love spectrum exploration, this is the rcvr you have always dreamed about. Most of these types of rcvrs with very wide coverage (like the ones made by Nems Clarke) cant cut it as comm rcvrs, but the PR 700 can. No, its not going to beat an R 390A on HF, but it does a good job and is plenty sensitive. It has a tight front end considering its very wide coverage range and is remarkably free of intermod, spurs, birdies etc. I still have plenty to learn. It appears that the set may be computer controllable, but I have no need to do that. A working PR 700 seems to hold its value very well. They are scarce and highly desirable. You can buy one, play with it and sell it without much of a loss if you decide it's not for you. Mine is a DEFINITE keeper. I have worked in military electronics and this radio is built to incredibly high quality standards. No corners were cut, NONE. They even used now unavailable exotic cutting edge FETs in the front end. Someone (CIA? NSA?) wanted the best possible rcvr that could be built and had the budget for it. SDRs will eventually eclipse all these kinds of rcvrs, but I like knobs, switches, dials, etc. Yes, you are buying what will soon be a dinosaur, but that applies to all non software defined radios. For me this is the ultimate spectrum cruiser. It looks cool too and will definitely command some attention in your shack when fellow hams visit. When they try it, likely they will soon be searching eBay to buy one for themselves.

K6DPZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 26, 2007 11:45 Send this review to a friend
Greatest toy you can find  Time owned: more than 12 months
Any one who is lucky enough to find this radio and it works has a real jewel. We have used them and repaired them and have the docunentation on this unit. My company has repaired quite a few of them.Very complex and advanced receiver in one box.And you can say for all practical purposes.it covers from DC. to Lite.