Reviews Categories | Weather Stations | La Crosse WS2308 Help

Reviews Summary for La Crosse WS2308
La Crosse WS2308 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.0/5 MSRP: $279.00
Description: Weather Station - with out door sensors for rain, wind, temperature, humidity, & pressure.
More info: http://www.lacrossetechnology.com/2308ch/index.php

You can write your own review of the La Crosse WS2308.

K7TYE Rating: 3/5 Aug 9, 2009 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Not bad for first weather station  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this weather station up for just over 6 months. I received it as a gift and was excited to set it up. Overall it is an ok weather station however I have had a few minor problems with it:

1 - Where I live is considered "high desert" so we get lots of sun. The included "rain deflector" heats up and causes really high temperature readings. I ended up building my own Stephenson radiation shield for the thermo/hygrometer and the temperatures came back down to normal!

2 - The forecast icon is a little off sometimes. Like while writing this review it is sunny outside but says its raining.

3 - The anemometer (wind vane) seems to work well however the little fan can get clogged up with spider webs. A quick spray of the hose sometimes clears this up. If you get this unit I would highly recommend upgrading to the anemometer with wind cups instead of fan. You can get one at http://www.greatbigoutlet.com/shopexd.asp?id=1321

4 - The manual is pretty hit and miss with relative information. I found the internet a much better reference. Tech support however was very prompt in returning e-mails and were able to answer all my questions.

I have no problems with the wireless transmission range at all. Have had it well over 100ft from the transmitter and still received good signals. If you are looking for an inexpensive weather station this would probably work but you will probably want to upgrade at some point down the road.

N9IVQ Rating: 2/5 Nov 6, 2007 18:19 Send this review to a friend
Intermitant Operation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well I have owned the WS2308 now for a couple of months and feel it only right to report to you that its performace is somewhat less the expected or hoped for. The outdoor units intermitantly and frequently loose connectivity to the base. It does not matter if one is using wireless or wired the base station still looses connection with the outdoor probes. Additionally the RS232 connections to the computer are intermitant as well requiring one to reset the base by powering it off then on, someimes several times. I have read several similiar complaints on various news groups so it may be a problem with the La Crosse units. I have contacted the company and we shall see how they do. I will post a review on how that matter goes as well.

I should also mention that the buttons are somewhat hard to use requiring significant force to get them to actuate. Also, the wind speed sensor does not appear to read correctly as my indicated wind speeds are always 2-3 miles per hour below what others in my area are reporting and regardless of what direction the wind is coming from.

Would I recomend a La Crosse system? Jury is still out but it is not looking good.

N9IVQ Rating: 4/5 Oct 6, 2007 21:01 Send this review to a friend
Fairly good product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am very please with the weather station itself. It does what it is supposed to and does it fairly well. It has an attractive case (I purchased the Cherry wood frame version). The software that comes with it is not all that great but fortunately there are several good pieces of software out there that are much better for use in ham radio and APRS. I use WUHU and it is freeware. The mounting arm for the weather vane should be a little longer to reduce the influence of the vertical mounting pole on wind speed measurements when the wind comes from the same direction as the pole. The backlight is a little weak for my taste, could be a bit brighter. Also it would be nice if it stayed on when using external power. The buttons are a bit hard to press, it seems you need to apply quite a bit of force to get them to engage, but they do work. I have been fairly impressed with the weather “prediction” modes. So far it has predicted with a fair degree of accuracy. The accuracy of the sensors seems to be on the money. Overall I would give this a 7, out of 10. Though the retail is $279 you can find these with a going street price of $130 or so if you look around. It is worth the $130 but not worth the retail in my humble opinion. If you are looking to buy a nice weather station and do not wish to deplete your bank account, this is a good option.