Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | PropNetPSK Help

Reviews Summary for PropNetPSK
PropNetPSK Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $0.00
Description: PropNET: If the band is open and nobody is transmitting, can anybody hear it?

PropNet is FREE to anyone wanting to participate! Hams or SWLers from North America or World Wide...Free software!

Welcome to the next level of Amateur wireless innovation. PropNET is an ad-hoc wireless digital network established by experimenters who are excited to explore new frontiers in the invisible world around us.

Participants known as Probes will periodically transmit on an Anchor frequency (see list to the left). Any station that receives that transmission forwards the 'catch' to an Internet server that plots the event on a map hosted by findu.

While an Amateur Radio license is required in order to be a transmitting participant (probes), unlicensed individuals are encouraged to participate as receive-only stations (lurkers), reporting what they capture. Click on the hyperlinks above to view real-time maps of participating stations.

Participation requires the use of a Windows-based computer with an available sound-card, a sound-card cable to connect your transceiver to your computer and the PropNetPSK client for your Windows-based computer. See the hyperlinks in the 'Quick Links' section to the left.

Additionally, you may wish to join the PropNET-Online mailing list that is found on YahooGroups.com. By doing so, you will be kept up to date on the project as a whole.

More info: http://www.propnet.org/

You can write your own review of the PropNetPSK.

W7HD Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2007 21:09 Send this review to a friend
What's not to like?  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having only discovered PropNetPSK a couple of months ago, I have been very pleased to see the progress being made. Very fast response to questions and bug reports. Real-time results - you can see whether you are being heard on a map! Also, this is a very fast indicator of real band conditions - not some esoteric report of probabilities.

G7OGX Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2007 12:32 Send this review to a friend
rewarding friendly interesting and exciting  Time owned: more than 12 months
I get a kick from champagne. but I also get a kick from PropNet! I can't remember how I stumbled upon the group and didn't realise how lucky I was at the time. That was about two years ago, since then I've been in and out of PropNet, having only one Transceiver. I still get excited going into the shack after leaving the gear to beacon (TX) or lurk (RX). I see today that my signal has been completely decoded in Australia on 30 metres! At the bottom of the cycle as well. I don't pretend to understand a lot of what it all means but enjoy learning and being part of a friendly helpful group and contributing to the "picture". If you're not sure how to set up like I was, there are people waiting to help. Join the Yahoo group. You'll be glad you did!

NI5F Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2007 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Checking the propagation world from your station.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
PropNetPSK software decodes PSK signals from your receiver, checks the decoded message for accuracy, and sends it on to the external server for display on the web along with your station geographic coordinates. If you have transmit capability and are licensed you can emit a PSK signal that others can decode; your message includes your location (grid square), power output, and antenna type.

During the summer time when I am not working I run two stations, one on 10 meters and one on 30 meters. They run 24 x 7 except during close lightning storms.

During POP weekend, I received signals from New Zealand, France, Canada, Puerto Rico, and many U.S. states. I was running 20 watts to a ground-mounted vertical cut for a quarter-wavelength at 30 meters mounted in the clear with 65 radials each 75 feet long. My signals were also received and decoded in Oceania, Europe, and North America.

I would urge the 'owners' to sponsor other POP events near the equinoxes (equini?) on 17 meters for sure and maybe even other bands. This will allow collection of excellent propagation statistics to be used in comparison with high solar activity as the years go by.

Any problems with the software or the website are rapidly addressed by the various 'original' members of the group. I expect that will continue.

Lastly, remember, some kind of interface is required between your rig and the computer sound card. Please keep your PSK signal clean so as to minimize adjacent frequency interference.

N4LNE Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2007 22:56 Send this review to a friend
Free, Easy and Usefull  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
PropNetPSK a free tool that works, provides usefull information and is just fun to use.
Did I mention it was FREE!
All joking aside I ran the software over the weekend and was happy with the easy setup and the information I received back. I had no idea that propagation on 30 meters was this good. I was heard at 4000+ miles at 50 watts on a G5RV at 30 feet. Propnet allowed me to see the working paths and to work those stations. In short it is a great program that preforms as stated. I hope there are some more PropNetPSK weekends soon. I would purchase this program.
73's
de N4LNE

KD5LWU Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2007 22:34 Send this review to a friend
Propnet excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Not only do I have a Propnet system up for many years now but I use it everyday to check and review current band conditions. It is an invaluable tool for me and I hope others who will also grow to respect and depend upon PropNet. Ev and Jeff and the others of PropNet are great people who live the true spirit of elmering! If you have not checked it out yet there's no time like now htttp://www.propnet.org you will not be sorry and surely will also have some great fun and fellowship Johnny KD5LWU DM57RI

KB9UMT Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2007 21:39 Send this review to a friend
Great Propagation tool!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just a great Propagation tool...easy to use as PSK and anyone can participate, what more can you ask for!

Before PropNet was BeacoNet and I had used that some years back for propagation study/help on 6 meters and 2 meters, it really helped to study band propagation and band condtions (6 meters open more often than we think but lots of time no one around to work it or know it's open...thus BeaconNet now PropNet). I used this program a number of times on 2 meters but many nights the mutlipath kills PSK signals but all the same worked and help us out on some studies. I do know the PropNet folks have extensive studies on 10 meters so they are very very active on 28mhz 10 meters with PropNet...so join in!

PropNet is FREE to any licensed Ham that would like to participate in on both the tx and rx side of the application...can be used both on HF and VHF and is simple to setup and use (also good online help to setup). This application does more than you might think so it's not just a beacon (one way communication) but a PSK program that has some brains to it to not only tx and not tx causing interferance but it also will rx other PropNetPSK stations....then to boot report those 'catches' via the Internet to have spots or propagation reported real-time on a map! Fun stuff and highly recommended you give it a look over. Oh yes, another great feature is you can use 'lurker mode' and rx only if you wish to join in for just rx only...which of course opens up that to ALL licensed Hams or not so SWLers can participate as well!

Thanks to Ev W2EV and ALL those at PropNet that put much time into the PropNet program software, reporting site on the Internet, maps, Yahoo Group, etc...good work guys!

de kb9umt Don
EN50dp
ps. if you missed the 'POP' Play on PropNete Oct 6/7 weekend you would have seen hundreds of Hams using this PropNet program on 30 meter and the map was very very busy!