Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | P1 Portable Vertical System Help

Reviews Summary for P1 Portable Vertical System
P1 Portable Vertical System Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.2/5 MSRP: $100.00
Description: P1 Portable Vertical System
Weighs in at just 1 LB 8 oz. But provides lots of radiating power QRP - 150 Watts.
Covers the entire Ham Band Public Service & Red Cross Frequencys 7 Mhz to 450 Mhz Covers 60 and 80 Meters With Optional Coil
Easily sets up in minutes! Easily tuned, NO TUNER REQUIRED!
Great for the: ARES Operator, Shelter Operations, Field Day, RV or Camper, Motel, Apartment or Condo Owner! SAR, Search and Rescue Covers Public Service Frequency's.
Deed Restricted!This May be your ultimate System!
It will mount to almost Any Object At Any Angle!
Tables, Deck Railings,Motel, Apartment or Condo Railings,
Fences, Wood, Chain link, Camera Tripods, BBQ Grills
More info: http://www.bluestarantennas.com

You can write your own review of the P1 Portable Vertical System.

KC2TRX Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2009 12:02 Send this review to a friend
excellent vertical  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I put my P1 up on Christmas Day, and talked on 10 meters with a South Carolina station, when earlier I could not get further than the NYC area. It also listens well, as compared to the half-wave dipole I had previously used. With careful tuning of the coil, the SWR came down to 1.3 to 1, which had not been possible on earlier verticals. All in all, an excellent antenna for hams like me who live in antenna-restricted areas: a NYC co-op!
Now... who's in charge of opening up 10 meters?
- Dan O'Connell/kc2trx/New York City.

WF4W Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2008 05:53 Send this review to a friend
WOW! Great performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I finally got a chance to put my (slightly modified) P1 to the test this past weekend and I am impressed. By slightly modified, I changed the normal telescoping whip out for an 8' long one from MFJ. I operated my K3 at 100 watts this past weekend with the P1 on a mag-mount on top of my stationary SUV. I operated for a total of around 5 or 6 hours, mainly on 40 meters. The SWR was fantastic and all worked very well. I was working in the CQWW CW contest and worked 72 countries on 40 meters! This included busting a pile-up on A73A, in Qatar with 4 calls. I also operated a much sorter time on 20 meters with outstanding results. It is definitely and great little antenna!
73, WF4W

KI6AOK Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2008 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Quick and easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Blue Star P1 Portable Vertical antenna works as advertised. It's quick and easy to set up and I was quite surprised by its performance. Tuning is a no-brainer: just move the ring that encircles the coil to the point of maximum noise and you're in the sweet spot for your chosen frequency. I made numerous contacts all over the country and into Canada with this antenna and an FT-897D running 100 watts during the recent California QSO Party. Truly a case of "if I could hear 'em, I could work 'em."

My only complaint, if you can call it that, is the mounting plate. Though well built and designed so you can mount the antenna in just about any position, I've found that I can't get a tight fit with the bolts and always end up with the antenna a little off center. This does not affect performance in any way and is really a minor gripe that I'm sure is fixable with a little thought on my part.

Overall, a really nice portable antenna that breaks down into an extremely small package that's easy to take with you anywhere. Thanks, Blue Star! Nice job!

KE5THL Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2008 12:42 Send this review to a friend
Great Multi-Band Portable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Multi-Band Portable HF, VHF, UHF P1 Portable Vertical System from Blue Star Antenna is FANTASTIC. I purchased mine from Bob and Linda. Setup is quick and the antenna is easy to tune (no external tuner needed). I have found that I can setup and tune to any band (I have the optional 75/80 meter coil) in about 5 to 10 minutes. I recommend getting an extra set of base rods, as it makes tuning on the 40 meter band much easier.

I live in Louisiana and my first QSO with this antenna was to Maryland. The antenna was setup next to my picnic table under a tree and power line.

I am impressed how this antenna breaks down and packs into a small bag, including the tripod. I plan to use this antenna for our field day event. I am also able to setup on my front porch and remain in operation during a storm.

I really enjoy this antenna system and highly recommend it to anyone looking for a portable antenna system.

WA6MOW Rating: 5/5 Apr 19, 2008 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
These little verticals are all very similiar; a couple of rods, a coil, and a short whip. The difference is in the construction quality. The P1 is made of excellent materials, and very professionally packaged. It breaks down into a small box and is a great traveling companion. It will get you on the air quickly, anywhere! I highly recommend this antenna. It compares very favorably to the BuddiPole, for $40.00 less.

KD5OXQ Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2008 21:53 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna is definitely worth the money. I saw this antenna system demonstrated at a local hamfest and was sold from the beginning. It's very easy to setup and get on the air. Everything fits in a small bag and easily stored away. I was able to tune 10, 12, 15, 17, and 20 meters to less than 1.5:1 without a tuner. I was unable to get SWR on 40 meters below 7:1 without an autotuner. My Z-100 autotuner tunes 40 meters up to 1.4:1. I bought the optional 80 meter coil and you are limited to a portion of the 80 meter band, but that can be expected. I've had contacts with 3 countries (Cuba, Nicaragua, and Canada) and 14 states within the past month. My farthest contact has been Hawaii (3,972 miles from my QTH) on 20 meters. All of these contacts made while the antenna is C-clamped on my chain-link fence. If you are planning on operating portable, the P1 antenna system is the way to go.

ZL2HI Rating: 5/5 Nov 29, 2007 22:58 Send this review to a friend
Well constructed antenna system  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very quick to set up,I was on the air in 10mins after unpacking from the box.
Excellent company to deal with.
It is pleasing to see that the "amateur spirit" is still alive and well.
Many thanks for a product that will give years of service!

XE1UFO Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2007 15:05 Send this review to a friend
Great people to deal with!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Though I did not purchase my antenna itself from them, (I already had a SuperAntenna MP-1) I DID purchase their Butter-Fly Cap Capacitance Hat that can be used with any portable or mobile antenna system that uses the standard threads. I can say I am impressed! It is very well made, and I am sure will last many decades. And instead of the typical rods sticking out on other brands of capacity hats, this one has stainless steel wire loops, which won't poke somebody's eye out.

Basically the Butterfly Cap makes the antenna appear to be electrically longer, so you can either use less coil turns and have a more efficient antenna system, or use a shorter whip length above or below your coil.

Their corrected website is here:

Dr. Steve, XE1UFO a.k.a. KA5SUT

N7WWK Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2007 09:18 Send this review to a friend
The best I have used  Time owned: more than 12 months
Set takes only couple minutes, mark your coil and it's even easier. Takes me longer to get the radio ready! Much easier to tune than most antennas. Wide coverage and band changes smooth and easy.