Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Cubic/Swan/Astro 103 Help

Reviews Summary for Cubic/Swan/Astro 103
Cubic/Swan/Astro 103 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Modern HF transceiver w/WARC coverage, dual VFOs, full break - in CW (selectable), beautiful construction

You can write your own review of the Cubic/Swan/Astro 103.

K5LRS Rating: 5/5 Jan 25, 2017 10:05 Send this review to a friend
Great old radio.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Even with my newer radios right in front of me, I still tend to move down the table and use my old Cubic Astro 103. I have had it for many years and it works as good as any of my other radios. I also use it for QSO's as it gets fantastic audio reports.

It is a early 80's radio, but sounds as good as my Yaesu FT1000MP. Gets used every day.

PA0PGA Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2013 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Amazing receiver  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The Cubic Astro 103 is difficult to find overhere and not many exist in PA land. Got one for restoring a couple months ago, a major job because it was in several hands already.
After it was brought back to life again, I am very impressed with the excellent receiver and the quality of the audio. No high hiss, but quit, super audio, a joy to listen on the crowded 80 and 40 m band. The audio can be taylored to your choice with the RF,IF and LF controls, the bandwith control and the notch filter, that removes really the cumbersome carrier is excellent. You can listen for hours without fatigue.

Stability is very good after a short warmup and is much improved by reposition of the 7805 stabilizer to the backplate of the transceiver. Tuning of the 2 PTO's is very smooth and precise.
Generally speaking: this transceiver can hold itself easely against most modern transceivers and it will not leave my shack again.

If you find one, dont hesitate to grab it, you will be pleased.

73, Wim PA0PGA

W7CPA Rating: 5/5 May 12, 2012 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Amazing 1980 Geezer Wireless  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just restored one of these amazing transceivers. Two analog PTOs, very stable, pass band tuning and a discrete transistor design so repair is possible. Very few UNOBTANIUM parts. This was the last of the line and holds its head high when compared to my KWM2-A and Flex 5000. Speech processor is awesome given it is not the RF flavor. It has unique feaures like continuously variable AGC decay and IF gain to go along with typcical RF gain.

Rock on olde fella!

N4TSV Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2012 18:56 Send this review to a friend
Good rig but showing age  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this for a number of years and yes I'll agree that it is good for it's age. I must admit I have had nothing but difficulty keeping it running. The PIN diodes in the BP switching circuits are a bear and I've replaced output transistors once for no explainable reason than just went bad. Some of the IC's in the receiver are obsolete. I do remember a QST "hints and kinks" about replacing a receive mixer, but that IC too is obsolete. I'd like information from other owners or web site that might be around for keeping the old girl running.

SM5HUA Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2008 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Excellent rig!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Got my Astro 103BX from US a few days ago and must say I am *VERY IMPRESSED* by this old radio from the early 80'ies. The rig has a excellent receiver and is very quiet and clean. This despite being single conversion. Same with the transmitter, good sounding and also has a effective clipper.

My example will be maintained soon and having the PTO's repaired due to age. Also gonna add HP pin-diodes around the bandpass filters to increase the strong signal handling. Else just keep it running and having phun :)

If you find one of these rigs around, go for it. Defently one of the very best radios made in that era. Still going strong! Some pictures of mine at http://www.sm5hua.se/swan.html

73's de Peter / SM5HUA

W3KC Rating: 5/5 Feb 12, 2008 17:10 Send this review to a friend
One fine radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
These radios seem to be off most radar screens, but they sure are nice rigs. Great build quality, wonderful adjustable passband IF filter, seperate IF gain control, super qsk, dual vfo's, and warc bands. The manual is the best I've seen in its description of the circuitry. No fancy memories or dsp, just excellent quality and performance.