Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | MFJ-1734 Glass Mount Antenns Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1734 Glass Mount Antenns
MFJ-1734 Glass Mount Antenns Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $44.95USD
Description: Glass mount dual band (144mHz & 440mHz) mobile antenna.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/products.php?prodid=MFJ-1734

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1734 Glass Mount Antenns.

VO1XH Rating: 5/5 Nov 25, 2011 18:38 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I first was skeptical of glass mounted antennas until about 10 years ago when I purchased a new vehicle.I was using a Maxrad MH5800 5/8 wave antenna on my 1991 Chevy S10 Blazer for about 7 years.It was mounted in the roof,NMO mount and it performed very well. I had retired the Blazer and bought a1996 GMC Safari All Wheel Drive van,was going to mount the 5/8 in the roof but the xyl(not a ham) said "no way".Well,I purchased the MFJ-1734,from Radio Shack here in St.John's Newfoundland,it was an Archer 2m/70cm dual band glass mount antenna,but was the same antenna and parts found with MFJ.
I was skeptical,but,I installed the antenna on the driver side rear glass top corner.The installation took about 30 minutes and was very easy.The antenna is black and it does look good against the dark tinted glass.I installed my Kenwood TS261A 2m moblie and when I connected the coax to the rig and checked swr,it was 1.8:1,not bad for out of the box,I turned the tuning screw on the coupling box about one 1/4 turn and it was 1.1:1 at 146.0 MHz ant 1.5:1 on the band edges.That was good,but,how well would it compare to the permanent mount 5/8 wave. Well,when doing on air checks,it seemed almost as good as the 5/8 wave on distant repeaters,simplex was equally as good so it seemed.I was impressed,as I said before,I was skeptical but the performance was very good.It handled the 50 watts from my Kenwood no problem I used it for about 4 years until I lost the whip at a parking garage,I tucked the whip under the roof rack and when I returned to the van a few hours later,I had forgotten about the whip and somewhere between my home and the parking garage,the antenna became unstuck from the window.Never did find it after.I kept the coax and the coupling box which I gave to a ham friend of mine who had the same antenna,started to have problems with his,we pried off the box from his window and opened it up,the coils had burned up,he has an Icom IC2100H and it runs 70 watts hi power,it seems that 50 watts is the maximum that it can handle but at 70 watts,it is to much.I purchased another MFJ-1734 3 years ago when I bought a 2001 GMC Safari,the same results as the first one and I recommend this antenna highly.
73,Don, VO1XH

TOYBOX Rating: 4/5 Oct 16, 2007 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Acceptable Performance All Thngs Considered  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased this antenna in the fall of 2004 for use on a lease truck. Performance was very good on both bands in the beginning. In the spring of '06 I noticed that the VSWR on 70cm was of the scale. 2m VSWR started climbing also. In the fall of '07 I noticed that the 2m VSWR on 146.0mHz was better than 3:1. I retuned the antenna but this time the tuning slug had to be turned fully CW to achieve even a reasonable VSWR.

I am not sure what when wrong. The rig I was using was an FT-530 so excessive RF input was not an issue.

Overall I consider it to have been a pretty good investment. Faced again with the same vehicle circumstances again, I would purchase another one should the need arise.