Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | BetterRF 7000 Tune Control Help

Reviews Summary for BetterRF 7000 Tune Control
BetterRF 7000 Tune Control Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $55
Description: Tune Controller for the Icom IC-7000
More info: http://www.betterrf.com

You can write your own review of the BetterRF 7000 Tune Control.

KD2LS Rating: 3/5 Jun 25, 2013 11:30 Send this review to a friend
BetterRF 7000 Tune Control NEEDED  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Would someone have one available? I started installing my antenna and when I opened my controller box, I found out that the Tune Control was NOT included.

I will buy one if you have it available at a reasonable price.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2013 03:17 Send this review to a friend
GREAT Product! }:>)  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works GREAT with the BETTER RF 7000 Screwdriver Controller on my ICOM 7000 & TARHEEL II antenna. Shame they just went "OUT OF BUSINESS"! Makes operating mobile a one push of the button operation by just pushing the tune button on the ICOM 7000 & you are done.Hope someone else starts making this same product or at least one like it.

WC6Q Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2012 16:19 Send this review to a friend
I love this thing!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I had some hiccups with my install as I would be what you would call a newb. Well Gerry offered some tips and straightened me out. This thing works flawlessly, and I couldn't be happier. It puts my screwdriver where it needs to be every time. (keep in mind you need the screwdriver controller too) With that said this is such a great solution. It's says it's not for 1:1 tuning but mine tune there on 80-10. So as long as your install is sound this thing will make life a lot easier! Thanks Gerry!

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2011 14:39 Send this review to a friend
Works as advertised.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a problem getting my unit to work, but a call to Better RF got it straightened out just fine. It seems that the little hole in the case for the reset button was a bit off center, preventing it's proper function. The guys at BetterRF told me to open the case, remove the circuit board and enlarge the hole in the plastic case. They appologized, saying a few units had been advertantly shipped like mine and repairing it myself would NOT violate my warranty, and if it still did not function properly, they would send me a new unit. I did as instructed, reassembled the unit, and it now works just fine.It only took me 2 or 3 minutes to complete. The fact that you have problem with a product is not as important as how the company handles the problem, and the guys at Better RF cured my problem quickly, with no excuses. I really appreciate their quick answer to my problem, and despite the quirk in my unit, I will give them a 5. Thanks guys, for getting it going properly. It really makes my IC-7000 a lot easier to use with my external, manual antenna tuner.I was really appreciative of their courtesy on the phone and their willingness to help me get my unit operating properly. I'm a very satisfied customer.

W8NYY Rating: 4/5 May 25, 2011 05:13 Send this review to a friend
Design Could Have Been Better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
No doubt that the BetterRF 7000 Tune Control does what it's supposed to do. My only issue is the physical design and how it sits in the 4 pin Molex. Unless you use right angle plugs for your video out, and the C/IV inputs, it's a strain to plug in and seat the Tune Control properly. If it's not seated fully, you get unpredictable results. The male Molex on the back of the Tune Control is situated a bit above center which means the unit requires more space below the unit to be seated properly but in that the 7000 has multiple connectors just below the Molex connector, you have to essentialy bend the connector to get it seated properly. Maybe a short Molex jumper would have been a better design than installing the Molex right on the board.

KM6CQ Rating: 4/5 Apr 10, 2011 09:51 Send this review to a friend
Works very well.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this in December of 2007 I installed it and it has always worked perfectly. Now about the 4 rating. I do not like how it connects to the radio. I think it should have a pigtail on it instead of hanging off the molex connector. This would also make it easier to access the back of the radio.

73, Dan

KB2NGK Rating: 1/5 Mar 10, 2011 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Not as advertised!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It appears they are aware of there decision to effectivly reduce the radios functionality, and not document the changes to the tune control in any way....see email below...the adapter they refer would need to be soldered in place of the end on a 'Y' adapter cable.:

To: W6TER@att.net

I'll be retuning the unit to HRD. It seems you also forgot to update the PDF on your web site, and ALL images. Seems intentional, and I believe you should include the right angle adapter since your decision to hard wire the cable has resulted in the reduced functionality of the radio.

I'll post my experience on eham.net

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:02 PM, Alan Applegate wrote:
> Thank you for inquiring about BetterRF products.
> Since the BetterRF TUNE Controller was introduced, the specific jack we used
> for the CI-V connection, has become nonobtainium! As a result, we decided to
> hard-wire the CI-V connecting cable to the 7000 TUNE Control. Unfortunately,
> not all of the manuals got upgraded in time for the change. We apologize for
> the error.
> The BetterRF TUNE Control, can be used with other serial devices which use
> the CI-V port on the back of the 7000. However, this requires a Y adapter,
> and universally these use a straight connector. Radio Shack, and others,
> have a 90 adapter available to facilitate the connections
> (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104064).
> If you need additional part numbers, please let us know, as Radio Shack is
> not the only company which has these adapters available.
> Incidentally, the adapters are stereo, but they will work just fine in this
> application.
> Cc: w6ter@BetterRF.com
> Subject: IC7000 Tune Control
> I have just today received the IC-7000 TuneControl, and I have a concern /
> question. This unit does not have the 3.5mm jack referred to in the
> documentation, and the connection to the remote jack seems to be hard wired
> and soldered into the unit. I would like to use a pigtail, for computer
> control but since the unit mounts on the rear of the radio, there is not
> room between the tune control and the radio, for any 'Y' cable I've ever
> seen.
> I was careful to check your website for documentation, and images before
> ordering from HRO, and if I had seen the modified version that I was sent, I
> would not have ordered it.
> Do you have any of the older models for an exchange?
> Thanks
> Dave
> KB2NGK

8877 Rating: 5/5 Jan 13, 2011 03:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Excellent product. Operates as advertised. 100% reliable. Fair price.

N3MX Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2010 13:49 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Please see my review of the Better RF 7000 Screwdriver controller. Bottom line: this thing works very well with an IC-7000. You can use this to help you tune with a manual DPDT switch or with their screwdriver controller for automatic hands free tuning. I have no affiliation Better RF. This device in combination with their IC-7000 screwdriver controller is much better than my previous automatic controller.

KJ6DUR Rating: 0/5 Jun 17, 2010 17:58 Send this review to a friend
I'm Furious!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had heard so many great things about Gerry. I heard about this product and had to have it! I ordered from him directly. Shipping was quick.

I received the product, and supporting documentation. I read it cove to cover, and carefully placed it at the back of my 7000. Strangest thing, it didn't work. I then read the instructions again, and it didn't work, I tried using different ports and it still failed. I wasn't quite sure what the problem was, so I called Gerry to possibly troubleshoot. People who have this know it's rather impossible to screw up this installation.

I called him back, and he seemed rather offended, stating that "These things work! I've only had 1 in 2000 units not work.." Then continued to blame me for my lack of installation.

His last email to me included this language, "It is obvious to me you have not spent time with the instructions. Sorry, I will not exchange the unit until you convince me you read and understand."

The next morning, I drove down to HRO and purchased another Better RF Tune Control. Went to the driveway, installed it in 30 seconds and it worked just fine.

THE UNIT I PURCHASED FROM GERRY WAS CLEARLY DEFECTIVE.

I called him from the car, asked him to PLEASE refund my purchase.

He asked me to send the defective unit back and he would do so.

It's been upwards of 3 weeks and he has not refunded me my money. I call him, I email him and I get ZERO RESPONSE!

While I'm sure he makes a decent product, he's a difficult and challenging person to work with.

I fear I'll never see the money. He's vanished.