Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | BetterRF 7000 Tune Control Help

Reviews Summary for BetterRF 7000 Tune Control
BetterRF 7000 Tune Control Reviews: 22 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $55
Description: Tune Controller for the Icom IC-7000
More info: http://www.betterrf.com

You can write your own review of the BetterRF 7000 Tune Control.

W7WX Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2010 21:30 Send this review to a friend
Great Product!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
In general, it's a great product. The only complaint I would have is the instructions are just too wordy for my liking, and it got very confusing sometimes. But once I understood what was suppose to happen, things came together just fine.

My initial installation problems were compounded with periodic motor issues on a brand new Hi-Q 4/80RT and more common mode current than I'd care to think about, too. Although I think the Hi-Q is a great antenna, I got a lemon. And it made getting this controller a nightmare. But once that was all taken care of, it took right off.

If there are a few things I can share and suggest from my own bitter experience it would be;
1.) Do not install this until the antenna tunes fully on all the bands you want first.
2.) Do not use the separation kit until you are confident the BetterRF is functioning properly.
3.) Have a back up plan in place (i.e. manual motor controller to wire in) and walk away for awhile if you run into problems.

I did not do any of these things and in hind sight paid dearly for it with a much higher frustration level.

This product deserves a 5/5 in my book as it always tried to do what I asked of it. It just couldn't with the motor problems and CMC present. When the issues were finally dealt with, the unit worked flawlessly (until the Hi-Q motor finally seized one morning).

I switched antennas to a Scorpion SA-680S which has worked excellent with this controller on my IC-7000. It was easy to recalibrate and took all of about 15 minutes to get going again on this antenna...even with the separation kit already installed.

This controller is a joy to use if you are on the road allot like I am.

73's
W7LJB

W3RXO Rating: 2/5 Jul 24, 2009 16:38 Send this review to a friend
Can be good, for some  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
In the interest of total disclosure, I am friends with N6VQL, and I know that both of his Better RF 7000 Tune Controllers work absolutely flawlessly. My experience with the one I have has been nothing but headaches. We thought we had it set up pretty close, and it worked well for me on 20 and 40, but that was it. It would not find tune on my Hi-Q 5/160 on 10, 12, 15, 17, 75/80 or 160. So I contacted Alan, to get his input. Upon making the changes Alan recommended, it no longer was able to tune ANY band. Then I got word that my truck was to be sold, and I was getting a new truck, so I un-installed it from the truck it was in, in anticipation of the move. I then installed it in my new truck, using the advice Alan gave, and Felix's experience. After 3 months of messing with it, on two trucks, with 3 different mounting configurations, and countless differing combinations of snap on ferrite beads, in all of the usual locations, and then some, I have taken the Better RF 700 Tune Controller and the Better RF Screwdriver Controller out of my setup, and gone to Charlie's (W6HIQ) manual controller with turns counter.
Now, I do not want to bash the Better RF products, as I know they generally work VERY WELL, but I have had a very negative experience, with them, and wanted to be sure to post here, that in order to use them, you must be a patient person, and one who enjoys a challenge, to tinker with. If you lack the patience, to tinker, endlessly, and would rather have something that is plug and play, consider something other than these products. If you do not mind tinkering, you can probably install it, tinker with it for a short while, and be extremely happy with it's operation, for a long time. I just don't have the time or patience. I need something that requires very little adjustment, and works right away.

N6VQL Rating: 5/5 Apr 22, 2009 22:51 Send this review to a friend
MY SECOND ONE  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the second Better RF tuner controller and screwdriver controller I have purchased. I now have one on both my car and truck. I use an Icom IC-7000, a HI-Q 5/80 antenna and the Better RF. Using this combination is almost a "plug and play" operation. I also used a shunt coil which worked very well. I now use an MFJ-910 which is not susceptible to car wash issues!

Today I assisted a fellow ham to install his IC-7000, Better RF, and a High Sierra 1800. The High Sierra 1800 is somewhat challenging to get operational because it is very prone to common mode current. High sierra does not recommend the use of any screwdriver controller for this specific reason. After trial, error, patience and a few tricks up my sleeve, I was able to get the 1800 fully operational for my fellow ham. Again, the issues I experienced making this combination operational was with the High Sierra and not the Better RF.

Customer service is top notch! Gerry and Alan are fantastic and are willing to assist the consumer with any issues encountered.

Alan's website www.KOBG.com is very informative and will give practical solutions to avoid common errors. I highly recommend visiting his site, especially the Antennas, Commercial section.

I highly recommend the Better RF Tune Control combination.

73's and look forward to my QSO with you from my mobile!

Felix

N1QXV Rating: 2/5 Apr 13, 2009 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Does not work every time.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It seemed to good to be true, a device that works every time you push the tune button. I worked with their tech support who was not friendly and was unwilling to walk you through the configuration. For many hours I tried and finally got the unit programmed. The unit needs to be reprogrammed often and then still does not tune for a good swr on 40m each time. 20m usually works and has a good swr. I can manually tune my Pro1800 quicker and more accurate then the device. I was hopeful at first per these reviews and Gerry from better RF..I have spoke with others who dont even get the unit to work consistent on 20m. The place I purchased it from was great to allow a return after I worked with the unit for two months.

AG7K Rating: 5/5 Feb 22, 2009 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Update on previous post  Time owned: more than 12 months
Christmas 2007 had me installing the Tune conrtrol and related parts into another car. Here we are a little over a year later and the combo of IC-7000, the Tune Control and the Screwdriver Control coupled to a Hi-Q 5/160 are still working flawlessly on the Buick Park Avenue. Just remember to wipe the dirt off the ant coil hi hi. I recommend this product coupled with the Screwdriver Control as it makes HF mobile tuning a breeze! (and Safe)

Dennis KG7UY

KA4AAA Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2009 02:56 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC!!! Flawless!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've owned my IC-7000 and HS 1800/Pro for almost a year now. When I first purchased my setup, I didn't think I needed a "tune control" or similar, since the HS 1800/Pro had the rocker-switch adjustment. I called and talked to both Gerry and Alan with some technical questions. My questions were answered fully, professionally, and were very easy to understand.

I also purchased the Screwdriver Control for the IC-7000 as well. First thing I did was crack open the TC (Tune Control) box and adjusted the dip switches for the SC (Screwdriver Control). Plugged everything in, followed the instructions to the letter. Everything works FLAWLESSLY!! I should have purchased this gear when I purchased everything else. My TUNE button works!

I also had my antenna on the High Sierra supplied tripod. Alan had suggested I ditch the tripod, mount the 1800/Pro on a pole in the ground, replace my HS supplied radials with longer ones (and more) as well as use garden staples to secure them to the ground. Alan, if you're reading this -- *WOW*!! I'm hearing stuff I haven't heard before! I'm *REALLY* having to put the filters in the IC-7000 to the test now! There's just SO much I wasn't hearing before!

Not only did I receive a fantastic product -- the support was phenomenal! How many other companies will give you tech advice for someone else's products? Alan's website is also a treasure trove of incredible information! www.k0bg.com

The TC/SC has certainly completed my 'shack'. The SC was super-simple to hook-up as well. What really impressed me the most was when it controls the 1800/Pro -- slips a little past the 'sweet spot' for ~1.5:1 SWR -- and it starts ticking back to lock in. I wasn't expecting that! The **ONLY** downside I can think of is how slow the antenna moves -- however, I'm certain that this is of NO FAULT of BetterRF, nor the TC/SC. Just a slow motor in the antenna itself. I can certainly live with that -- since I no longer have to hold a rocker switch while staring at the IC-7000 screen's SWR meter. Press & hold TUNE for a second, and watch the antenna go!

I replaced my eight 10-foot radials with sixteen 30-foot radials. The antenna is mounted about two to three inches above the ground now.

If you have a screwdriver-type antenna -- BUY THIS PRODUCT COMBO!!!!! (the TC/SC) You will NOT be disappointed!!

BTW: Follow the instructions in regards to the windings on the supplied ferrite core. I did, and the ONLY thing I had to do was reverse the polarity on my antenna. Everything just works perfect out of the box!

Note: I'm copying and pasting this entire review for the "BetterRF 7000 Screwdriver Control" as well.

ZS5J Rating: 5/5 Feb 1, 2009 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Good Job  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Works great with my IC-7000. At first I found it wouldn't fit on the back of my rig too well, because the speaker connector came straight out its port , and pushed against the tune control. I cured that by purchasing a new mobile speaker, that had a right-angle, 90 degree plug. This allowed the tune control to fit on the back of the rig with no problems. Great product.

John, ZS5J

ZL2BK Rating: 5/5 Aug 16, 2008 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Just does what it should  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Simple to install and set up following the supplied instructions. Used with the motorised controller with my HiQ 5/160 and IC7000 makes an unbeatable and very simple to use mobile HF system. Very reasonable price with excellent manufacturers support.

LA3ZPA Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2008 13:12 Send this review to a friend
I love it  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
It work perfect with the Better RF Screwdriver Controller and to the HI-Q antenna 5/160.

I am weary pleased with this controller form Better RF.

If you lock for only pusch a button and tune the antenna from 160 to 10m with the 1.2 or better SWR this is the solution.

If you have a Screwdriver antenna this is the perfect match with the Better RF Screwdriver Controller, I love it.

W0RIC Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2008 11:53 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC PRODUCT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Same review as the screwdriver control.

WOW! What a great product!

Easy to install and use.

Took a few minutes and some reading and ON THE AIR!

Just one push of the IC-7000 tune button and in a few seconds it's tuned!

What a fantastic product!

I used some ferrites as suggested and not one issue with any RF.

73 & Good DX