Reviews Categories | Receivers: General Coverage | Sangean PR-D5 Help

Reviews Summary for Sangean PR-D5
Sangean PR-D5 Reviews: 9 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $99
Description: AM/FM RDS Portable radio. 6 "C" Batteries. AC adapter. "Humane" alarm wakeup. 5 am, 5 fm presets.
10.75" x 5.33" x 2.67" in size
More info: http://www.sangean.com

You can write your own review of the Sangean PR-D5.

VK2GJF Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2012 21:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent AM radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently bought this radio after reading many reports of its AM performance despite it being primarilly a domestic AM/FM receiver with no pretenses for DX. Can I say that I totally agree with whats been written on its AM performance! I am a collector of radio, have been for years, am a member of both the HRSA and ARDXC and have owned many radios so I know radio. I have been astonished by its ability to receive AM stations on its built in ferrite rod antenna and for readers from Australia, from my location in a Central West NSW Regional City, I can hear 2WEB Bourke and ABC Western Victoria in Horsham both over 600kms distance in daylight! The usual "marker stations" used to determine how good a radio performs are 2DU Dubbo and 2CH Sydney and both these stations are received with no problem! Of a night, I have heard China on 606khz with good audio! The selectivity is good for a domestic radio, could be tighter but then again, it wasnt designed for DX. Audio is average, a bit muddy but you cant expect too much from the speakers. FM is, at best, average. The filtering is way too wide for any DX capabilities, a bit of a disappointment here, but for listening, it does the job ok. There are many radios capable of better FMDX than this one, so if thats your primary interest, look elswhere, however for AM DX, you cant beat it! Except a communications receiver and a good extenal antenna of course. Although I pitted it against a Lowe HF225 connected to a G5RV dipole and it matched receiving 2WEB Bourke! In summary, if you want a high performing AM radio, you cant beat this one!

SCANNUT99 Rating: 0/5 Mar 4, 2012 21:50 Send this review to a friend
Very dissapointing  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a radio buff and had high hopes after reading all these reviews. This is a poor radio. Maybe a cheepo office radio or alarm clock at best. The tuning steps on am are 10 and there is no fine tuning or external antenna input. The FM sound is iffy and the RDS is useless because it goes in and out and even when it is on, the light goes out before you can read the slowly moving text. A dx radio? Not at all. Even local stations that are powerful on my other radios come in scratchy. The radio has no tonal ability so you can not modify the sound. (Bass and Treble) FM has 1 frequency tuning steps but am goes from 710 to 720 and again, there is no fine tuning. The built in Ferrite needs a loop such as the Terk but there is no external antenna options. It is easy to use, but so what? What good is an $80 radio if it is no better than a $14.00 radio? I returned mine the next day.

I should have known when reading one review that compared this radio to the Grundig 350dl. Raise the bar folks, that radio was laughably bad.

KB0GXM Rating: 4/5 Jan 31, 2012 07:43 Send this review to a friend
Updated Review  Time owned: more than 12 months
My earlier review stated the radio went dead. Well, it came back to life after a few weeks. beats the heck out of me, but I think it is only fair I update my review because the PR-D5 has been used quite often, and is a very hot AM DX portable.
FM is not as hot, but i like the fact that it has RDS, and can update the clock on the radio.
Yes, it uses batteries very hungrily, but If mine broke tomorrow, I would buy another.
I just wish Sangean had a little bettr customer service.

W2SNJ Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2011 23:56 Send this review to a friend
Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned this radio for less than a week and am very impressed with it. The sound quality is phenomenal, on both AM & FM. Even though this radio is sold as a portable, I feel it's more geared as a table top radio, reason being, it's kind of heavy, to be carrying around, and 2, there's no strap or handle to carry it about. I feel that this is the best substitute for not having to spend $500 on a Bose.

SAILCAT Rating: 5/5 Mar 31, 2011 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Well Done!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a Sangean PR-D5 with the expectation that its AM reception would be good...no, excellent...based upon the many positive reports and reviews I've read on the internet. I am happy to report I was not disappointed. Thanks to its 200mm ferrite antenna, this little powerhouse is able to pick up distant AM stations with no detectable noise or distractions and without interference from other signals. It may be worth noting that I live in rural area and reception can be an iffy proposition for many radios, but the PR-D5 makes it look easy. FM reception is also very good and I can easily pick up all of the stations to which I enjoy listening. The controls are blessedly simple and intelligently laid out. The display is large, easy to read, and thankfully clear of the annoying clutter that takes up unnecessary space on the displays of so many radios these days. Sound quality is very nice for a radio of this size, as well, making the listening experience quite pleasant. Construction quality seems to be good with no loose bits, mystery rattles, or unexplainable hitches in its operation. To sum up, this radio does exactly what I want from a portable radio, with no bad habits, and at a very fair price.

I recommend the Sangean PR-D5 very highly.

TUBESAREKING Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2010 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Superb AM DX portable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have one that I bought a couple years ago, and I liked it so much I bought a second. Very sensitive on AM - much more so than a Sony 2010 on AM, a GE SR II or III, etc. The equal of my freshly de-oxited Panasonic RF-2200. This thing is brutally sensitive: 500 watt CFSX 300 miles away at noon during mid summer. Disclaimer - many of the 300 miles are over salt water, but still.

I do sympathize with the reviewer who had his lock up. These things are made in China and QC is not exactly a priority, IMHO. So, do pay heed to his opinion. I have a poorly performing C Crane Radio 2 to prove that Sangean can let junk move out the factory door.

So, like any modern made in China wonder, you gamble. Get a good one and you have an awesome AM DX portable. Get a turkey and hope you can get a refund.

PS - I'm burning in the second one so I'll be pretty sure tht its ok before giving it for Christmas! An extensive burn in during the warranty period is a good idea.

Phil VY2PR

DXTUNER Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2008 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Wow!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just 20 minutes out of the box and already I'm impressed. The PR-D5 exhibits phenomenal AM reception. Distant AM stations I usually receive fair-good (if at all, or when I can) on desktop general coverage receivers using external antennas come through with excellent/local quality on this PR-D5.

I've merely removed the radio from the box, placed it on my table & powered it on -- no turning or rotating of the radio position, no sequestering from electrical outlets or sources. Nothing special done at all. Detroit, Cleveland, New York -- and some spanish-language stations I've never received before -- are booming-in as though they are local.

Not much more needs to be said, except that the PR-D5 easily matches or beats the Kaito KA2100/Redsun RP2100 on AM reception. No question about that. The sound is nice & rich also.

W4DST Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2008 08:34 Send this review to a friend
Super value and performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I was very surprised at both the AM and FM performance of the PR-D5. It apparently uses the dual coil ferrite antenna circuit for AM, same as the Sangean made CCRadio, and this accounts for the excellent AM sensitivity. The AM reception of the PR-D5 is second only to my vintage Radio Shack 12-655 TRF AM receiver. This is quite an accomplishment as the 12-655 is one of the most sensitive AM portables ever made.

On FM, my only complaint is that selectivity is a little wide for my tastes. Judging from my tests, it probably uses 230KHz filters in the IF section. It should be possible to replace these with 150KHz filters for a big improvement in selectivity. The sensitivity is excellent. I can receive FM stations from 5 different states here in the mountains of SW NC. The RDS circuitry is head and shoulders better than the pathetic performance of the Sangean ATS-909. The PR-D5 is also a much better FM, and AM, receiver than my Grundig Satellit 700. Both the '909 and '700 have been sold.

Like previous reviewers, I think the radio does need a carrying handle. Other than that, this is a well designed radio and, in my opinion, well worth the price. Whether you are an AM or FM DXer, this is an excellent portable receiver to add to your shack.

N2DY Rating: 5/5 Oct 18, 2007 20:04 Send this review to a friend
Nice Surprise  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this radio for a little AM portable DXing. It was advertised as an AM DX specialty radio due to its decent size ferrite bar antenna (at least by today's standards). I was pleasantly surprised by its performance. Sensitivity is excellent and, as the previous reviewer noted, selectivity is very good. I compared it to a wide variety of portables that I have and none was better.

It is designed as a regular consumer radio and so it tunes in 9 or 10 KHz steps. Shorter steps such as 1 KHz or 5 KHz would have been nice.

FM broadcast reception is superb also. Selectivity is pretty good on FM as well. It has dual speakers and so stereo signals sound terrific.

Tone quality is good, although bass and treble controls would be useful.

It also would be nice if the radio had a carry handle. It can run on batteries as a portable, but it looks like more of a table top radio.

It is a little expensive for an AM/FM radio but it may just be worth it if you are an AM enthusiast. Is the radio perfect? No, not really, but since it meets my need for a good AM DX portable, I gave it a 5/5. I am really enjoying it.