Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Yaesu SP-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu SP-2000
Yaesu SP-2000 Reviews: 36 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Speaker designed as an accessory for the FT-2000 line of Tranceivers
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu SP-2000.

PY2KNK Rating: 5/5 Aug 15, 2017 10:37 Send this review to a friend
High quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really liked speaker SP 2000 Yaesu, many audio filter configuration options, beautiful product, combines very well with equipment and very efficient.

I am extremely pleased, and recommend to all,

Leonardo Zucon PY2KNK

TA3EP Rating: 5/5 Mar 11, 2017 00:07 Send this review to a friend
Great comm. speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have bought my SP-2000 second hand in mint condition. It is really great speaker and it has very good working efficient LC filters. I have filled the posterior compartement with sponge foam and fiber material, this gives extra sound quality improvements. It is very good to have this speaker at my hamshack.

KJ4I Rating: 4/5 Jan 9, 2017 13:11 Send this review to a friend
Decent speaker but needs a little work to be it's best.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Normally I wouldn't spend money on a speaker like this but curiosity got the best of me and I decided to purchase this speaker on a whim. First of all, I will say that the speaker does look good and is well constructed. It definitely compliments the ham station. For years I have used stereo bookshelf speakers for my HF radios and they really sound good. On to this speaker. I purchased it to compare to the Sony speaker that I have been using for about the past 7 years. I honestly have to say that the Sony bookshelf speaker sounds better than the SP-2000 BUT, that's not to say that the SP-2000 sounds bad because it doesn't. The problem with the SP-2000 is that it needs a little help to sound like it should. As many other reviewers have mentioned, Yaesu should have padded the inside of the case with some acoustic foam. What this does is gives the speaker a more full and rich sound. Without the acoustic padding it sounds a little light and hollow. Not bad but you can tell something is not up to par. I ended up doing my own mod by stuffing the case full of polyester fiber fill and covering that with some foam material. This made a big difference in the sound quality of this speaker. It sounds a lot more warm, full, and less hollow. Definitely much more pleasant and mellow to listen to. I'm probably going to redo my initial mod with some more proper material and see if that makes even more difference. There are some mod kits you can purchase online but honestly you can find all the same material much cheaper if your willing to look for it. Most of it you can purchase at almost any craft supply. With all that said, I do like the speaker and plan to keep it on the bench. I have grown to like the sound I'm getting out of it, especially since doing the mod. Also another thing I noticed is that It does not rattle at higher volumes like most speakers tend to do. I'm enjoying this speaker much more since I have done the acoustic modification. As for the filters? I really haven't messed with those to any great extent so I won't comment but they do seem to work as advertised. Is this $180 or so worth of speaker when you can buy a set of Sony's or another brand that sounds great? Maybe or maybe not. That is subjective and up to the individual user. I probably won't purchase a second one but at the same time I have no plans of getting rid of this one. If you like a stylish matching speaker then you can't go wrong with this one. It has found a permanent home in my shack with the FTdx-3000.

W6LZC Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2016 10:38 Send this review to a friend
Excellent speaker with Phonema Modification  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After reading the reviews here, I decided to purchase the Yaesu SP-2000 to use with my Yaesu FTDX 1200. Initially, the sound was adequate, but not great compared to the Kenwood SP-230 that I had used for 30 years. Some of the reviews recommend adding sound damping material to improve the audio response. This helped, but nothing to get excited over. Recently, I came across an ad on DX Engineering about their new product by Phonema. After reading more about this product from DX Engineering and from the Phonema's website, I decided to purchase their modification kit for this speaker. WOW, what an improvement! The sound now is fuller and clear. Previously, the builtin audio filters didn't seems to work at any setting. Now after the modification, I can actually hear the various settings and with the high cut setting at 2, all of the hissing sound disappear and the barely audible signals, can now be heard clearly. This speaker is well built and I would highly recommend that you purchase the modification kit from Phonema to go with it, it definitely will improve the sound you hear.

2E1VAR Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2016 22:33 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased an SP-2000 to go with my FTDX-3000/FP-1030 line up. The speaker is an identical height to the PSU but sits 7mm higher than the 3000. It does have feet which you can extend but they are in or out and extended it would be much higher than the 3000.
It looks and works really well and sounds great, well built but much lighter than I would have expected. You can really crank up the volume with no distortion. I don't really use the filters as I prefer to use the contour control on the radio but they seem to work fine.
I would highly recommend and I'm getting another to go with my FT-991.

G3OZN Rating: 5/5 May 10, 2016 14:42 Send this review to a friend
GREAT L/S  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
BROUGHT MY FT1000MP MK V TO LIFE AUDIO WISE ON RX, NOT CHEAP BUT WOULD NOT BE WITH OUT IT.

RUSS324 Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2015 05:54 Send this review to a friend
Great speaker!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just picked up a SP-2000 speaker at DX Engineering yesterday! I live 2.5 miles from them. Very handy when I need something.
I really like this speaker and the adjustments it has. I have it on my FT1000 Mark V radio. Looks good and the sound is excellent. I would highly recommend this speaker.
Russ K8QF

KO2LA Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2015 17:03 Send this review to a friend
Should have bought one sooner!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just got it today and have been enjoying it for hours. Easy to use and I'm hearing stuff I couldn't before. Thumbs up Yaesu!

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2015 10:17 Send this review to a friend
Thumbs up...I own 2 of them!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own 2 SP-2000's and love them. They are more designed for voice reproduction, not high fidelity music etc. With the 2 SP-2000's, I can select the speakers for 4 radios thus creating more space on my operating table.Plus the ability to alter the audio bandpass is an added bonus making it more pleasurable to listen to the radios hooked up to them.

I'm seriously considering a 3rd. SP-2000. Yes, they are a little pricey, but worth every penny!

Bill
K1FPV

VE3TCV Rating: 5/5 Nov 1, 2015 15:46 Send this review to a friend
What a difference!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have this speaker connected to a Yaesu FTDX-3000, I was previously using either the transceivers built in speaker or an old Sony home theater center channel speaker. The sound from this speaker is very clear, it seems to be tuned for the exact sound frequencies that radio uses 100hz-6000khz. The filters work nicely, I can also connect my headphones to the speaker and use the filtering which came in handy during last weeks contest.

I have two radios connected to the speaker, the speaker also makes my TS-2000 sound like a new radio.

There is no rattling or resonating at any volume, it is built solidly and should last forever.