Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Yaesu SP-2000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu SP-2000
Yaesu SP-2000 Reviews: 24 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $199.95
Description: Speaker designed as an accessory for the FT-2000 line of Tranceivers
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu SP-2000.

K4TPC Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2014 21:24 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use the SP-2000 speaker with the Yaesu FTDX-3000. It looks great and performs even better. The audio filters work nice to pull out clear voices. I do quite a bit of SWL with the same radio and the SP-2000 makes international broadcast stations sound excellent.

8P6SH Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2013 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Speaker  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got this speaker on the used market for a good price and decided to give it a try. I typically use headphones in my operating. These days I find myself using the speaker during operating sessions without missing the headphones.

This is a very well-built unit which at first seems quite large. I decided to fill the large empty space with acoustic foam and getting the unit open was quite a task. Lots of screws and an adhesive foam keep the unit together and keep the various parts from rattling or creating unwanted resonances. With the acoustic foam it is a truly comfortable speaker to listen to.

I am largely a contester and have an SO2R setup and I did find one flaw with the speaker - I now need two of them as I like the idea of being able to listen to two signals at the same time, something which is not possible with the one speaker. I am therefore already in search of a second unit to provide output for my second transceiver. Effectively 2 of them spatially seperated at the left and right ends of my station layout emulate the headphone monitoring I would do in casual operating and dxing.

The SP 2000 is a winner. The filters are quite effective and the mute switch is great I can't wait to get my second unit.

W8KMA Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2013 07:51 Send this review to a friend
Solid Performer!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this on a FTdx3000 and it sounds great!! This a heavy duty unit with nice tone controls to make it a listening a pleasure!! Kind of expensive, but I got was I was looking for and it matches the rig pretty well!!!

AA2DK Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2013 13:55 Send this review to a friend
Nice!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought the SP-2000 speaker for my Yaesu FT-950, hoping it wouldn't be too big, or look funny with my rig. Not only does it match, but it sounds good, and is built like a rock!

From my perspective, it's awesome..

VE3WCQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 24, 2012 15:57 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Well had speaker just over a month now and love it. I did not think you could get it to sound better but I was wrong. I had some packing foam that looks like the sound proofing foam pads and I cut a some to fit the back and put cover back and I was surprized to the difference. Well I had little left and cut 2 pieces to fit behind were the filters are mounted and to cover the width so the back and the bottom have foam. I put cover back on and I can not believe the difference, the voices almost jump out at you, even if you have static noise. I have this hooked up to a TS-590 and between the IF filter set at 50 low and 3000 high with the speaker set to setting 1 on high cut it sound FANTASTIC! I do not know how this would compare to the Palstar or the Sounds Sweet but I am very impressed with this speaker. It would be nice to hear from someone who may have tried all 3 speakers.

All the best 73!

Mike
VE3WCQ

AD9DX Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2012 16:41 Send this review to a friend
Pleasantly surprised   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After trying a few Icom speakers to go with my Icom 7000, and being less than impressed. I was somewhat apprehensive about going with an expensive matching speaker to go with my new Yaesu FT-2000D. Well I guess I was just going with the wrong manufacturer.

Appearance: The SP-2000 is a dead ringer for the FT-2000. The finish on the outer case is exactly the same color and texture. Just what you should expect. The buttons on the front have a nice fit they are centered in their holes (they also have a good feel). The switches on the front have a nice weight to them and have a the same red-orange indicators on them as the FT-2000.

Function: The speaker reproduces sound in a very natural way. I did find the sound to be a bit hollow, but adding some stuffing (like the kind you would add to stuffed animals) gave it a more full nature. The one very appealing attribute is that its voice coil does not rattle with strong CW tones. Something I hatted about Icom speakers. The high and low filters do work well as a final touch in trying to get rid of interfering signals. But don't expect miracles. The RCA jacks on the back are gold plated and fit very snugly with high quality RCA cables.

All and all this is the best speaker for communication I have ever used. And as a bonus it matches my rig.

N7GCO Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2012 18:05 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the Yaesu SP-2000 in August 2011. It is by far the best speaker I have had in my shack (Even superior to a studio Yamaha MSP 3).

M0AUW Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2012 05:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Speaker  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased the SP-2000 to go with my FT 1000MP V and at the same time added the DSP Noise reduction module NEDSP-1062-KBD from BHI. The SP-2000 has an excellent sound and very good filters but combined with the DSP module it is easily the best speaker I've ever owned.

VK2AAA Rating: 4/5 Jan 19, 2012 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Needs modding IMHO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these based on the reviews and it was readily available here in Oz. I have to say I was pretty disappointed - the bass is hollow and boomy sounding to my ears. I played with the filters which improved it but in the end took it apart and stuffed it with batting - polyester stuff that goes inside cushions, pillows etc. Much better now.

VE3PLO Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2012 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Great Item!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Very happy with the speaker! Makes a huge difference, filters work fine too. So far this has been the best accessory to my Ft-2000. Would buy again anytime.