Reviews Categories | Filters, Audio: (DSP and others) | JPS NIR-10 Help

Reviews Summary for JPS NIR-10
JPS NIR-10 Reviews: 13 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $299.95
Description: Noise/interference reduction unit.
More info: http://www.jps.com/pinfo/amateur.htm

You can write your own review of the JPS NIR-10.

KD8SAV Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2014 20:24 Send this review to a friend
Great little filter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I found one of these for $40 at the 2014 Dayton Hamfest, and love it. All I have for a rig is an HW-101, and a vertical in the middle of the City of Dayton. That means lots of atmospheric noise. The Peak mode is fantastic for cleaning up SSB noise, and for CW, and there is no delay in that mode. The CW filter works nicely too, 250 HZ, and 600 HZ. Another great feature is the bypass switching, which I activate with an extra set of relay contacts. Impossible to beat for the price.

KB4SOG Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2014 07:23 Send this review to a friend
First one was so good I bought another  Time owned: more than 12 months
Great little unit, out performs many costing much more. I think it's interesting that some people rate it so low - perhaps they should read the instructions? I won't say it's simple - there are simpler DSP units out there - but it works great if you take the time to learn to use it. I bought one on a whim, the second one - to use on a different radio - I hunted down. These are certainly cheap enough to make trying one worth while. Never had a problem, but if one breaks I'll buy another.

WM9I Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2012 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Very good DSP for the price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought this recently for my grandson's SB-1400 and it is working great! I am impressed with the NIR function and auto carrier reduction. I am looking to get another for my FT-990! READ THE DIRECTIONS!!! Good results then. 73

VE2JL Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2009 14:04 Send this review to a friend
Couldn't operate with out it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Living in the center of a large city and ham radio can be difficult. Local noise made the situation almost impossible, I even considered talking to the XYL about moving back to the burbs. Decided to try a NIR-10 that I spotted on that famous auction site and what a difference it has made. It took careful reading of the instructions and about an hour of playing with it before I felt happy. This unit had the latest Rev 4.0 and it has made my operating almost enjoyable again. The budget here was short of the bucks for a new IF DSP rig, so now my trusty IC-751A is back on the bands. I know it will not get my signal out any better but now I can at least hear anybody calling.

HAMDUDE Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2009 15:51 Send this review to a friend
good tool if used properly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bought this on a whim at the 2009 orlando hamcation due to fight local power company for almost a year, will try anything. after READING THE MANUAL and experimenting for a few hour's, found this a very useful tool in my noise battle. would recommend to anyone. but, they make manual's for a reason, use it. i find that 80% of negative reveiw's are from " plug and play mentality". put in the time to learn the parameter's of a product, apply it to your particular situation and enjoy.

N3UUI Rating: 0/5 Jun 13, 2005 02:10 Send this review to a friend
PIECE OF JUNK  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing has a very poor Audio DSP Algorithym and Pops and Clips the audio. Reading all the complaints on it this is caused by the manufacturer not using an AGC or AVC in the circuitry to smooth things out.

It's a TOY not a piece of professional equipment.
->AC hum is introduced in the Audio by the Cheap AC ADAPTER. That along with the poor filtering of the Processed signal, you can hear the HOWL from the processing.

It's only a 40 MHZ processor, Hence the terrible Time Delay!

Want something better?

Shop around, these are worth about 10 Bucks with whats out there now since this was made.

N0VA Rating: 4/5 Nov 13, 2004 14:56 Send this review to a friend
Nice but bypass could be better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a clean, used unit with the updated rev. 3.0 software installed on eBay for $46 + shipping and believe that was a good deal.

Much to their credit JPS Raytheon maintains a PDF copy of the the updated manual for this unit on-line. Even though the control panel looks simple compared to an MFJ 784 it really helps to have the updated manual at the ready while in the learning curve.

I work only CW so my rating applies only to A1A and not voice modes. I rated the JPS NIR-10 "Good" not "Great" but it is way ahead of the original kit-built DSP-1 that I tried out. The NIR Level (noise interference reduction) and Band Pass shift control functions are helpful with CW as is the Peak function.

The only aspect of the JPS unit I do not like is the remote bypass arrangement used to kill the 130msec delay when monitoring the outgoing CW signal. The unit can be manually bypassed by flipping the MODE switch all the way down to BYPASS. Or one can connect a keying signal line from the transceiver to an RCA connector on the back of the JPS unit. With my kit-built qrp rig the only way I could think to do this was to split the direct output from my memory keyer and run a patch cord to the INV. REMOTE BYPASS connector on the JPS. The resulting monitored cw signal was usable but of rather poor quality (popping). This method may work better on other transceivers.

That being said I find the JPS NIR-10 easy to use and effective and would buy it again.

AE6RQ Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2004 23:05 Send this review to a friend
Especially good for CW  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the NIR-10 (with latest firmware for "Peak" mode) for $95 - which is about $20 more than you can find this unit for on eBay. None-the-less, I am very pleased with this unit.

It works especially well on CW signals in "Peak" mode to separate background noise from the desired signal. I won't say that the resultant signal is stripped fully of all noise so that it is pure and clean, but its readability does go up significantly. For example, with a CW signal that is a few dB above the noise, this filter will "gate" the CW signal and a significant bit of the noise together -- that is, the resultant passed audio is not a pure sine wave CW tone, but it is definitely CW (tone + noise) that can be read easily.

When I combine this filter with my BW selectable SCAF filter, I have a great combination.

Generally the "Peak" function works great on its own, but in very poor conditions a combination of the NIR and Peak mode seems works even better - although requiring a little fiddling of the level control.

I haven't really used this filter in BandPass mode due to the SCAF filter, but it seems to have nice sharp skirts - unfortunately, when you use the Bandpass mode, both the Peak and NIR mode are not accessible, so I recommend you either go with the NIR-12 for its dual DSPs, or you go with an outboard Band Pass filter like I am using.

I have used this a little bit with SSB and it seems to do a nice job at noise reduction using NIR and/or Peak settings again. But, I am not a frequent voice operator so I haven't really exercised it a lot.

For $75 purchasing this is a no brainer. For $95 this is still a compelling choice and good value for your non-DSP rig (mine is an older Icom 751A without DSP).

VE3XDB Rating: 4/5 Jun 12, 2003 12:27 Send this review to a friend
Very nice unit  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using an NIR-10 several times per week for the last 2-3 years. The unit is well made, and does a nice job of overall noise reduction on my Kenwood TS-440S/AT.

PRO's

- does an especially good job on CW, which is my primary mode. All functionality, from the general noise reduction, notch filter and bandwidth filters all work nicely on CW.

- does a credible job on SW broadcasts, although it seems too narrow for most voice modes (see con).

CON's

- don't lose the manual! Combination of switches is used to select desired filtering. Not really intuitive, although I am getting used to it.

- in all voice modes, audio seems clipped, and to my ears, generally more difficult to copy without the noise than with the noise. I don't use it for voice, and would not recommend the unit if your primary use would be for SSB or AM SW broadcasts.

- DSP howl sometimes hard to take when using the narrow filters.

All in all, this unit has served me well, and is performing as I would have expected it to perform.

RAOTA1365 Rating: 5/5 Jan 14, 2003 19:29 Send this review to a friend
A great unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my latest toy,a great unit and easy to operate,kills the noise a treat in this a noisy location.