Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Wonder Wand Help

Reviews Summary for Wonder Wand
Wonder Wand Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $89.95 UK
Description: The Wonder Wand is a UK manufactured 40m to 6m (7MHz - 50MHz) portable unit with a rotatable knob on the rear which allows you to select the desired band of operation. The Wonder Wand also allows VHF & UHF (70MHz to 440MHz) operation via the VHF/UHF section on the rotatable knob which is ideal for the Yaesu FT-817ND or Icom IC-703.
More info: http://www.hamradio.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh000001.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww%2ehamradio%2eco%2euk%2f&WD=wand%20wonder&PN=Wonder_Antennas%2ehtml%23a1_21544#a1_21544

You can write your own review of the Wonder Wand.

G7IDJ Rating: 5/5 Apr 5, 2015 15:51 Send this review to a friend
good value for money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got the widebander from 160m to 70cm at 10W.
I have to admit I didn't bother using it for 2m and 70cm.
I used it with an FT817
I have mostly been using it on 20m to 10m.
Positive points:
- ideal for QRP portable work
- not that expensive with slightly over 110
- with two buttons achieve a got swr
- excellent on RX
- accessories selection is good - telescopic antenna and long wire connector
- versatile

Negative points:
- I am not sure about the plastic casing
- on TX I get results but could be better

I found using a a longer wire with the additional wire connector makes quite a difference. Today I used 5m long wire, tuned it in on 20m and it performed like a full blown station.
With just the telescopic antenna I think it is ideal attach some sort of counterpoise to make it work.
I do have the Wonderwand Wonderloop as well. The loop seems to perform better on 20 to 10m and the noise levels are a lot lower but then again loops operate differently to standard antennas.
Still with the wideband version there is access to 40m, 80m and 160m - I have to confess though I havn't really used it on those bands.

To sum it up:
It is great for portable use, great for RX for TX you should get a counterpoise or use a longer wire and it will do you proud!
The accessories come with the WonderWand Widebander and you just need to get yourself a long wire!

M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2014 05:55 Send this review to a friend
Stunning  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I unpacked it and connected it to my FT817nd and tuned it by ear on 20m and got a 5/1 report from a Czech station with just 2.5 watts and that was working indoors.I will be ordering the counterpoise and heading to my local beach.You can fit it into you shirt pocket,its a QRPers ideal companion,i love it..

G7NKS Rating: 5/5 Sep 27, 2013 12:59 Send this review to a friend
Great product and UK made!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought one of these today at the National Hamfest in the UK. I wanted a simple compact HF antenna to use with my FT897 and FT817 out portable or garden etc. Only had it 1 day and I'm compelled to write a review. Great product and works well. Not cheap, but looks/feels well made and works v well for what it is. It's not a SteppIR @ 50 metres but equally you can't pop those in a carry on bag! Definitely to be recommended.

M0SAZ Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2012 22:57 Send this review to a friend
Amazing little antennas  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the widebander and the standard Wonder Wand, both with the optional TCS (Tunable Counterpoise).

This is my first choice truly portable antenna system. I can put everything I need to operate in a single flight case - rig, antenna, mic/key etc.

If you want to hear how good it is just type wonder wand m0saz into YouTube and see some videos of it in action.

Top quality product - really fun to use!

M3FLP Rating: 5/5 Feb 9, 2010 09:10 Send this review to a friend
Brilliant!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the Wonder Wand Widebander from ML&S and it's absolutely brilliant.

Years ago, I purchased a Miracle Whip and this is WAY better. You also get the connector to attach a random wire onto it and easily tune away.

Superb reception and TX from indoors on 5 watts.

Just get one, you will be surprised! I am well happy...!

G0MLY Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2007 08:11 Send this review to a friend
Small Wonder!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
UK made (by a working broadcast engineer, I understand) the Wonder Wand (I have the Mk2 version) does everything that can reasonably be asked of it.

It's a bit less expensive than it's Canadian competitor (I have used that one too)and performs equally as well and maybe slightly better! Up to 25 watts RF output - I think the Mark 3 may be able to manage 40 watts?

I like the PL259 on the back side of the unit, as you can easily adjust the click knob for the bands. It works on many more radios than just the FT-817 as the tuning knob does not get in the way of the rear of the rig. 2m and 70cm are also easy to tune if you are patient with lengthening and shortening the whip.

Opening it up reveals what you might expect, a well designed UK product that I think has not really had the exposure it deserves. I suspect the components may be of higher quality than the immediate competitor, but others may know more than I on this one.

I've worked all over Europe on an FT-817 with relative ease, and used it on a TS-480 too, though the tunable counterpoise (made especially to fit the Wonder Wand) certainly helps. With 2 tunable lengths to play with, it makes HF portable fun yet again.

I notice the product range is expanding, so Wonder Antennas looks like they are here to stay, which can only be good news for hams!

This small wonder is definitely recommended! Hope you can get it in the US!