Reviews Categories | Ham Repeaters | Icom D-STAR Digital Repeaters Help

Reviews Summary for Icom D-STAR Digital Repeaters
Reviews: 5 Average rating: 1.6/5 MSRP: $varies on config
Description: Icom D-STAR repeaters
More info: http://icomamerica.com

You can write your own review of the Icom D-STAR Digital Repeaters.

G6OCD Rating: 1/5 Oct 15, 2012 04:27 Send this review to a friend
Poor Equipment for the Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Icom 70cm Repeater on my Repeater GB7HD and have found that the sensitivity is very bad, after hearing that some stations can't even access the repeater from well inside the repeater "Footprint", the Repeater is made up of a couple of a couple of 28** radios in a 19inch rack mounted box which also has a substandard Cavity enclosed as well, the cable that connects the radios together and to the cavity is possibly RG58 which at 430 - 440 Mhz is ridiculous all in all with the lack of staus lights on the box fronts, and the lack of a microphone socket on the box as well, is not very good at all for the money, if you add a pre-amp it improves sensitivity but this really needs a design re-think.

VK3BA Rating: 2/5 Aug 14, 2010 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Lacks features  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'd have to agree with others here. For my 70cm repeater VK3RNP, I have an ID-RP2C and ID-RP4000V. The supplied software is very basic and offers little or no diagnostic features. I have also found, like others, that the sensitivity is lacking, despite being optimized before I took delivery. The lack of indicators on the front panel is frustrating, especially when you're trying to keep an eye on what's going on and during trouble shooting moments. I paid AU$3500 for the pair. I think I subsidised all of the free complete systems that went out to clubs in each capital city of Australia!! :-) Now that I know more about other non-Icom D-Star repeaters, I doubt that I would go down this track again. I would've been happy with my purchase had the RF power been higher, like 50watts and the sensitivity been better. I'm using a modified Motorola T1500A series Diplexer which has about 100dB of isolation and 1.8dB insertion loss both ways.

LA4AMA Rating: 2/5 Jul 1, 2010 01:00 Send this review to a friend
Low performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
LD2KR D-star repeater in south-east Norway.
The ID-RP4000V and ID-RP2C turned out to be problematic to get working satisfactionary at our repeater site on a mountain top.
The ID-RP4000V has only 2 small mobile radios inside the big 19" cabinet. Poor quality RG-58C cables inside the cabinet, we replaced them with double shielded RG-223. We installed the D-star repeater with Procom DPF 70/6-150-2/3 duplexer which turned out to be too small for the low performance Icom receiver. Serious desens problems, a lot of crackling and bit errors occured all the time. Same Procom duplexer works great with our FM analog repeater..... For use with one antenna I reccomend at least duplexer similar to the Procom DPF 70/33-125 or you will get desens problems.

Repeater range was low, the Icom receiver seems to have very low sensitivity.
We now run the D-star repeater on 2 separate antennas spaced 20 feet directly above each other. We use 1/2" cellflex coax up to the antennas, and RG-214 double shielded coax on all filters and connections. Right now we have 2 large double cavity Kathrein bandpass filters in series on the receiver side and a Icom AG-35 mast mounted preamp up at the RX antenna. Works a lot better now, but probably we will get even better performance with a additional pass/reject notch filter on the TX path. But Icom surely needs to build a much better receiver on their D-Star repeaters !

KI7WZ Rating: 2/5 Aug 16, 2009 14:35 Send this review to a friend
They are just using one band mobles.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Icom is just using mobles in there D-Star repeaters. I know this because I am using a pair of ID 800 Dual Band mobles for a D-Star repeater And I read another review said that is what in his D-Star repeater a two single band mobles.

The other way I figured it out is that the audio coming through my D-Star repeater sounds bad.

This is because it is not truly digital all the way. You talk anlog into your radio. Then it is converted into digital then back to anlog from the receiver to the transmitter then back to digital out of the transmitter then back to anlog again from your speaker. Try this. Talk simplex and see how it sounds then talk through the repeater. It will sound better simplex and worse through the repeater. That this because each time it is converted from analog to digital the audio quality is degraded.

9A5TD Rating: 1/5 Apr 21, 2009 13:52 Send this review to a friend
Time owned: 6 to 12 months
First of all, I`m long time in PMR business and I can not understand some very simple things:

1.There is NO visual indicators for TX – RX status

2.There is NO option to put repeater manually in TX mode

3.IT will be nice to have microphone connector and speaker integrated on the unit.

4.You must have EXTERNAL power supply for Controller and Repeater

5.Sensitivity can be better

6.Cabling inside was poor ( some kind of RG-58 at 400 MHz !!! )

Basically this is two radios 27xx series connected back to back and controlled by external device (switch), unfinished products fast realized only to be first at the market. During installation you can`t make any test if you don`t have extra two hand radios. When we talking about new generation and digital age it will be normal to have POWERFUL software for tuning and programming this repeater but you get useless software just for input TX and RX frequency. You can not read RF-Power, Squelch level, Signal level, etc…..seems to me that Microsoft-idea have big influence to designers….let`s lunch product on the market and wait for user responses, we will fix almost all problems in next generation but you will need to pay more for new name.