Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Valor Pro-Am series Help

Reviews Summary for Valor Pro-Am series
Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Helical Fiberglass Black or White
More info: http://www.poncede.com/valor.htm

You can write your own review of the Valor Pro-Am series.

KQ6Q Rating: 4/5 Dec 31, 2013 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Still working after 8 years   Time owned: more than 12 months
A follow-up to my 2005 review - the PHF-160B is still on my mobilehome roof, the triple mag mount tied into a counterpoise systems across and around the metal roof. My stepdown transformer in the feedline gave problems after many years, so I replaced it with a coax Tee - also feeding a Hamstick dipole for 40 on the same leadin. Since going to the Tee, my SWR bandwidth is a lot wider! Made 21 contacts in less than 3 hours in the Stew Perry, of course all the stations I worked had really tall antennas. Used as a base station antenna, it's held up fine!

AC6DX Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2007 06:47 Send this review to a friend
PHF-160  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
THE PHF-160B 160M. MOBILE ANT. IS A GREAT ANTENNA FOR THE PRICE ABOUT $70.
FIRST I BOUGHT SOME HEAT SHRINK FOR THE 17" COIL, I USED 19".
I HAVE THE WHIP AT 41-5/8" CENTER FREQ. IS 1.900 AND AN 1.5 SWR
NO PROBLEMS AT ALL WITH THE ANTTENNA., BUT YOU WILL NEED TO PURCHASE SOME HEAT SHRINK.
WHAT A SUPPRISE TO ME WHEN I ALSO GOT A FLAT SWR ON 6 METERS ( 50.125- 50.300) AS WELL.

KE6TNN Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2007 16:46 Send this review to a friend
Mr. Mouth, meet Mr. Foot  Time owned: more than 12 months
Two days later, and I'm confronted with a broken antenna...

Symptoms were poor transmit audio, with accompanying erratic SWR readings.

Turned out to be a broken solder connection where the wire connects with the stinger ferrule. Resoldering it back on is being difficult. The ferrule acts like a huge heat sink.

KE6TNN Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2007 12:18 Send this review to a friend
Happy  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using these monoband antennas for several years now, and have never had an issue with them; no cracked shrink wrap or other ills that some report. They work. I have no scientific data to describe how well they work, but if I can hear a station I can work that station. Working DX is quite common.

The 40 meter version required matching at the feedpoint, and I accomplished that using a "Inducti-Match". Use it almost every day, mounted on my truck.

My current installation consists of both a 40 meter and a 20 meter antenna mounted on either side of my truck. I switch between them by use of an antenna switch. Gives me inexpensive multiband capability without resorting to a screwdriver antenna or what have you. Both antennas use quick-disconnect mounts, which I believe are also sold by Valor.

In my opinion, these inexpensive monoband antennas provide the best value for mobile HF'ers.

AH6RR Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2005 18:54 Send this review to a friend
The Ones I got are Fine!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a set of these antennas 10,15,20,40&75M. I get great signal reports form local and dx I have worked 35 countries confirmed. They are more robust than the Iron Horse antennas I did own.

K1REX Rating: 2/5 Aug 14, 2005 07:31 Send this review to a friend
PH-160: unusable without major reworking  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
These comments pertain only to the Valor Pro-Am 160 meter center-loaded mobile whip.
This antenna, in it electrical design, is quite good and, indeed, CAN BE MADE TO WORK VERY WELL, BUT: HORRIFIC MECHANICAL DESIGN AND EXECUTION, ALONG WITH QUALITY CONTROL ISSUES, RENDER THIS ANTENNA, RIGHT OUT OF THE PACKAGE, VIRTUALLY UNUSABLE IN THE CHALLENGING MOBILE ENVIRONMENT WITHOUT SUBSTANTIAL REWORKING OF THE DESIGN (which I have done). It is almost beyond comprehension that an antenna that is so lacking in suitable mechanical rigor and execution would be foisted on the unsuspecting amateur radio enthusiast as a commercial product.
ONCE THE WORK-AROUNDS ARE ACCOMPLISHED, HOWEVER, THIS ANTENNA IS NOTABLY WORTHWHILE. So if you buy one, know that you are purchasing a "project," not a "finished product."
For info on the mods I have done to make this antenna truly workable in the rough and tumble of day in, day out 160 meter mobiling, you can contact me at:
serenity@fourriverscounseling.com
If your'e willing to put in the elbow grease (no thanks to the company), you can turn this thing into a fine 160 meter antenna for mobiling or portable operation.
73s,
Stephen, K1REX/m

N4DFP Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2002 13:10 Send this review to a friend
A/B-5 Great MultiBand Solution  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have the Valor PRoAm A/B-5. This is a multi-bander in a "spider" configuration. I have used this antenna on my 18 Wheeler and the only complaint I had was that the 80m coil was VERY narrow. Of course this is a good thing in that it is also very efficient at it's resonant frequency. However, using the 40m coil, I could cover the entire 40m General Band with acceptable SWR as well as 20m, 15m, and 10m. SWR is adjusted on the 80m or 40m coil only. The 20m, 15m and 10m radiators are pretuned and perform well out of the box. I bought a screwdriver antenna to give more access on 80m, but performance was not nearly as good as with the A/B-5. I am going back to the A/B-5 and will probably use my screwdriver as an adjustable base station antenna. One word of caution. This antenna makes extensive use of set screws. It is imperitive to use "Loc-Tite" or a similar compound on ALL set screws as they tend to vibrate loose

VE7LGT Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2002 06:52 Send this review to a friend
80&40 mtr tuning  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a full set of pro-am sticks for over a year now an find they work great the only trouble I have had is with the tuning on 80 and 40mtrs on 80 I like to check our local provincial net on at 3.729 and found that even with the whip fully extended it was resonate around 3.800 so I have added asingle wire clipon capacitance hat and trimmed it using a noise bridge I plan on making more of these of slighty different sizes so I can change to different portions of the band by changeing the hat . when it comes to impeadance matching on 40 and 80 I use the mfj mobile matcher right at the base this unit switches in different capacitors for matching . and has a bypass position for use on 20-10 mtrs . this along with the set of 5 quik disconnects makes for extremely fast band changes . I usually use these antennas while stationary as I find they are a bit on the heavy side , but also own a 20 mtr lakeview Ham stick which I find to be light and more flexible for actual mobile operation. I am wondering if anyone has experimented with the 80 mtr antenna by removing windings from the coil and adding an actual capacitance hat at the junction of the steel whip and the fiberglass base?

VE1VOX Rating: 0/5 Jun 3, 2002 20:15 Send this review to a friend
Save Yourself Some Grief  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using Pro Am 15 and 20m whips for a year now. First I had to replace the steel set screws with stainless steel as they were rusted near solid after only 2 months of operation with the 20m whip. Next after 6 months the heat shrink cracked at the coil and the base. The local radio shop replaced the whip. Now after another 6 months the heat shrink has cracked again as well as the epoxy has let go at the base of the 20m stick, no replacement from the shop this time. The 15m whip has also developed cracks in the heatshrink at the coil and base, but after a year. I use these antennas a lot, but most often the 20m stick is mounted, probaly explaining the longer life of the 15m whip. These whips in my judgement are only for temporary use. Probaly inside where there is no flexing or temperature changes. I have now bought a Hamstick and will see how it fairs.

K8KAS Rating: 2/5 Sep 14, 2001 11:21 Send this review to a friend
Intermittent Operation  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have three Pro-Am antennas all about 4 years old. Two of them developed problems. When in a static position they worked fine, however when flexed(used while driving) they cut in and out/loose connection. When I examined them ( cut the heat shrink off)I found a poor or corroded solder connections between the coil wire and the end fittings. This connection is also subject to stress from the fact the fittings (work), that is move in relation to the wire connection. This causes the break in the soldered joint. The repair is difficult since a lot of heat is needed to resolder and damage to the fiberglass can result. I re-soldered and epoxyed the fitting back on and they were fine. This process involved a bit of time and in hindsight I should have thrown them away and bought a Hamstick.