Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Valor Pro-Am series Help

Reviews Summary for Valor Pro-Am series
Reviews: 20 Average rating: 4.1/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Helical Fiberglass Black or White
More info: http://www.poncede.com/valor.htm

You can write your own review of the Valor Pro-Am series.

KD7MSB Rating: 4/5 Jul 19, 2001 17:55 Send this review to a friend
Good value & good performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just purchased a PHF 12 for my jeep and mounted it to the old C.B. ball and Spring mount and realized it was a PHF 17.The antenna was resonant at 16MHz but with a little trimming the SWR now is very low over the entire band.

WA4IXN Rating: 4/5 Jun 13, 2001 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Very good overall  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Over the last 40 years I've used many different kinds of HF mobile antennas. Most of the available brand names and several home-built bug-catcher types. None have been as easy to use nor provided the good signal reports I've gotten since I started using the Pro Am series. I have all the bands ready to go with quick disconnect fittings mounted to each. SWR is very low across most of the bands without tuning and I've worked many DX stations mobile with a TS-50 at 100W. The only complaint I have is the 20 mtr stick is getting loose. The bottom of the fibreglass rod seems to be wallowing out in the metal ferrule at the antenna base. I suppose this is from constantly waving in the breeze as I drive down the highway. All that's holding it together at this time (in use for 1 year) is the plastic shrink wrap on the stick. But, it still works... Guess I'll have to see about a replacement under Pro Am's 4 year warranty policy.

VK2CJC Rating: 5/5 Mar 5, 2001 21:05 Send this review to a friend
cheap and very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used these antennas with great effect on 80m, 20m, 17m and 10m. Very cheap and can stand much rough treatment on the 4 wheel drive and even 100mph plus (on the german autobahns, honest guv).
But, USE THE CORRECT VALOR BASE MOUNT. They have 5/8th threaded base which fits CB antenna bases. They need something stronger. I lost my 10m antenna by making this mistake.
I highly recommend these antennas, and I'm fed up cos I cant buy them in Australia :-)

W7CSD Rating: 2/5 Feb 5, 2001 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Customer Service/ Packaging/ Tuning  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a 17M antenna from one of the big distributors and I needed to contact Valor?s customer service. I tried the website and was unable to find any link to customer service so, I sent an email to the sales department asking if they would forward it on to the appropriate department.

When I received the antenna, there was a chunk of the plastic wrap missing from the coil section. The problem is that the adjustment nut on the whip presses on the body of the coil section and during transit it chipped off a dime-sized hole. Placing the nut in a paper tube could have easily prevented the damage that occurred during shipment. It didn?t hit the windings and was easily fixed by a piece of tape but, I shouldn?t have a problem with it out of the box.

The other problem I experienced was that the 17M antenna is resonating at 16MHz. So did I receive a 20M antenna or 17M antenna?

I still haven?t heard anything back from Valor or CTI Audio in regards to my questions and it has been 2 weeks? poor customer service. :-(

AF5U Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2001 17:29 Send this review to a friend
Something Not Thought of  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using the Pro-Am HF antenna series since the early 90's with excellent results. There is one different mechanical difference between this stick and others - the top stinger can be removed without lossing ones tune. When you remove the stinger, the coupler unscrews from the fiberglass portion. This means you save time because you don't have to retune your stick. Your set screws are untouched - try that with any other helical stick design I have seen - it is simply not there. If you go to the airport, you will love the time the Pro-Am saves in retuning.

G4YVM Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2001 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Praise of the aerials  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Pro Am and Watson versions of Pro Am on 10, 15, 20, 40 and 80 metres bands andn they are excelleent antennas. Don't spend a penny more or buy any other brand...these aerials will do the job well. I have worked the world on them all. Great. I honestly can't think of a better aerial - or a cheaper one.

David G4YVM

G3VGR Rating: 5/5 Dec 9, 2000 15:48 Send this review to a friend
Good value, good performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used Pro-Ams on 20m and 40m for a few years. They are extremely well constructed, especially considering the price. The 40m version gets me good reports from all continents and I've made many long-path qso's with VK-land from my car. I don't use the 20m one much nowadays because my other 20m antenna is a Hustler, but for 40m, I definitely prefer the slim elegant shape of the Pro-Am compared with the Hustler.

KS5X Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2000 20:57 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Quality & Value  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I already own 2 Ham Sticks, decided to opt for aadditional bands. Took the advice of reviews and can say the quality is a BIG PLUS.

W1WOW Rating: 5/5 Jun 11, 2000 20:38 Send this review to a friend
Very Adequate on 6m-20m  Time owned: more than 12 months
Hello All,

I have used the Valor Pro-am mobile whips for a couple of years now. They work as good as you can expect for a 8ft whip and for under $20 bucks they are pretty darn good! If you are looking to try working HF mobile to see how you like it, these whips are a great choice as they will cost you very little to get set up. I still perfer the easy installation of the Pro-am whips... They are built very well and I have yet to have one fail me. Nice quality construction as far as I can tell. Happy mobiling!

Jason S. Hulet
W1WOW

N1JAO Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2000 21:27 Send this review to a friend
The Best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own the 10,15,17, and 20 meter sticks and they are great. Not only can I tune them for all of the phone portion of the bands, they are built rock solid. My first contact on 15 was to a YB0! I make contacts all day long on the ts-50, and 100 watts. I previously had the Lakeview sticks and they are cheap flimsy pieces of junk!! The set screw on those is a single jewlers type unreliable joke. The Pro-Am has 2 Allen wrench screws, the whip is rugged, and the tuning is simple. Bye the way, who ever thinks that the Texas Dung Catcher or the Outhouser is better than these monoband sticks must simply be bent on wasting hard earned money. Don't waste yours- buy the best AND cheapest!!