Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | BK Radio DPH-CMD: DPH5102XCMD Help

Reviews Summary for BK Radio DPH-CMD: DPH5102XCMD
BK Radio DPH-CMD: DPH5102XCMD Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $2300
Description: 136-174 MHz FM/APCO25, 500 channels, commercial handheld
More info: http://www.relm.com/DPH-CMD_digital_portable_radios.asp

You can write your own review of the BK Radio DPH-CMD: DPH5102XCMD.

KF4PXZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2007 19:54 Send this review to a friend
Heavy duty commercial quality  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is it, the last 2m portable you will ever buy. 500 channels, front panel programming for all radio parameters, two watt/five watt, loud & clear audio, mixed mode FM & APCO25 with auto detection & selection, heavy duty, durable, functional, easy to use, real scan with real dual priority, 32 tone user selectable pick list.

Don't be frightened by the MSRP. I got mine brand new for $999.00. Yes, that is a grand, but I will probably never have to buy another 2m handheld radio for the rest of my life.

When the DPH line first came out they would not go into the ham band without some modification. Not any more. This covers 136-174 right out of the box. The selectivity & sensitivity is so much more better than any ham grade radio. It will really get out and talk too, much better than anything else I have ever tried.

I have all the recognized repeater splits programmed into the radio, and then I have all the local repeaters selected into my command group. The command group is a group of up to 20 channels that can be selected on the fly and put together regardless of what their home zone is.

Do you have any local APCO25 repeaters? With this unit it will automatically switch between FM & APCO25. Let's say you are in a QSO in APCO25 & someone calls you in FM. The radio will automatically switch to FM so you can reply. Very nice feature.

The programming can be done with a computer, or you can short the back two pins on the speaker mic connection while holding the function button down and just program it from the keypad.

You can also place 32 CTCSS/DCS tones in a pick list and then assign a tone to a channel as needed. Once you have all the repeater pairs programmed as well as your favorite simplex channels, you won't need to program it any more.

I'm not a real chatty person, but I talk some & scan public safety & RR freqs typically all day and I have yet to have my 1400 mAh battery go dead. I have a 2700 mAh battery that will run the radio for more than 24 hours and it didn't go dead either. BK also sells a very handy AA battery pack for this unit.

The only drawback - it's big & heavy. The radio has a titanium body & weights almost 1 1/2 pounds. It also is about two inches thick by four inches wide and nearly a foot tall. The antenna I have for it is 9" long.

It still can't be beat, and it's made in the USA at a factory in Melbourne, Florida.

Enjoy!