Reviews Categories | Ham Software - Other than logging | ADMS-VX170 Help

Reviews Summary for ADMS-VX170
Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $49
Description: Windows based programmer for the VX-170. Full package includes cables: CT-29A (9-pin serial to 3.5mm stereo computer interface cable) - CT-28B (4-pin screw-in adapter for radios with single speaker/mic jack). Software on full-size CD.
More info: http://www.rtsystemsinc.com/

You can write your own review of the ADMS-VX170.

VE7KTB Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2010 17:45 Send this review to a friend
Great software  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ok this review is for ver. 4.01.03, it came with the USB-57B USB-3.5mm 4 conductor cable.

Well after reading some of the poor reviews on other RTSystems software, they must have been reading the reviews cause they have made a great product. CD loaded, USB drivers loaded, all with no problem. Software read the radio first time, and wrote first try. I was able to copy and paste, multiple lines, between different files. The help file has been great. Using the help file I was able to create a *.CSV (I am not that computer savey) file using my own EXCEL files as data sources, easy to import and easy to create.

only complaint is that when I create a memory, it automatically turns on TSql. on 100.0Hz, I have even crawled through the software trying to find a setting to leave TSql off but have not been sucessful in finding a settingfor this. Even with this 'bug' I still rate this software a '5'

VE6JMK Rating: 3/5 Dec 28, 2007 22:56 Send this review to a friend
Time to drop DB9 Serial  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm disappointed to find that if you only have a USB port you'll need a DB9 Serial - USB adapter. It seems that every time I use mine I eventually end up with USB conflicts with other USB devices: usually it disables my USB mouse after a few minutes of use. I know this is the fault of the drivers for the DB9 - USB adapter and not the ADMS software, but the problem is I really don't want to be forced to be using bad/unsupported drivers for a Taiwanese USB adapter in the first place. I understand that the existing USB cables sold on eBay (about $15.00 - $25.00), etc., that allow you to use third party software that costs $18.50 also can present problems with connectivity*, but at least they would get you away from the DB9 adapter problem, so I plan to give that route a try. The fact it also costs less is actually secondary to me in this regard.

I also recall that tech support from this vendor is less than stellar. This is based on my recollection of the problems with bad CD keys they released for the VX-150 software that didn't work, and they really took their time to respond to anyone, even HRO had trouble getting the problem addressed with them.

*Here's what Bob Freeth told me about his experience with the USB cables: "Most of the support calls I get relate to cables - poor connections, not plugged in properly, USB driver software not installed and the inability of the user to determine the correct COM port number for a USB device."

K7TCE Rating: 4/5 Nov 3, 2007 18:01 Send this review to a friend
Works well  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
ADMS-VX170

This review will be inclusive of the entire package, which for $49 included the ADMS-VX170 v3.60 software, the CT-29A serial cable (db-9 to 3.5mm stereo -- ground/ring/pin) and the CT-28B 3.5mm stereo to screw-in 4 connector plug for the mic jack of the VX-170. With this new configuration you no longer need a Yaesu CT-91
microphone adapter (4 pin mic plug to 3.5mm and 2.5mm stereo jacks).

The software seems to work fine. It looks and functions pretty much like my VX-150 software, although the VX-170 software allows you to color alternate lines for easier reading, and of course handles new features not available in the VX-150 version.

Be sure to read from the radio first, then store it as your beginning profile. I was able to import a delimited profile file from an old version of the ADMS-1F (VX-150), and one from G4HFQ's (Bob Freeth) FTB1802 software (which is quite excellent) for the FT-1802M.

The CT-29A serial cable, while not cheap, WORKS! I'm having very little luck finding a USB cable to replace it, and it may be that the voltages on some of the imported USB cables are low. Using the RT Systems CT-29A and a CT-28A adapter I program my VX-150, and with the CT-29A cable and a homebrew 3.5MM to RJ-12 adapter I program my FT-1802M. The CT-29A owned previously also worked on an Icom IC-V8000.

Bugs/Nits:

1. When programming the second of the programmable keys to "name/freq", it ended up with a hex character display on the screen. Programming that key manually solved it.

2. If you have connectivity problems with the cables or plug not seating, the software tells you that you are connected to the VX-177 and that it cannot read it.

3. You can only copy or move one row at a time.