Reviews Categories | Microphone Equalizers & Transmit Audio Accessories | MFJ-653 Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-653
MFJ-653 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $150.00
Description: Speech Articulator, improves transmit speech
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=mFJ-653

You can write your own review of the MFJ-653.

W7CPA Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2012 13:15 Send this review to a friend
Test with SB-102 and SB104A  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this to improve the punch on my geezer SB-102 and SB-104A. I tried the the 655B and had to return it. The levels to the Analog Devices SSM2166 have to be spot on to avoid pounded-rat-crap audio. The W2IHY WQ PLUS uses the same high end chip at it is stellar.

1. It looks like the SSM2166 levels are corrct, no distorsion.
2. It is not designed for high impedence mic usage - the manual lies. The Rj45 and unshielded output cable is NFG for high impedence, hum city, no proper shielding.
3. Nice small package.
4. 2KHz eq is perfect to improve ariticulation.

To solve the high impedence problem I bough some properly shielded Heil Wire at HRO and re-designed the input and output cables. Unfortunately the only output is RJ45 so I went to RAT SHACK and installed a 1/8 inch stereo jack above the RJ45 coutput jack. I removed the output DIP jumoers and simply connected the new jack using DIP jacks to the front side of the DIPs.

Not quite poor man's EQ PLUS but pretty darn decent. Good work MFJ, now fix the 655B levels to be in concert with the Analog Devices reference specs/board.

VK1KLW Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2007 02:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for rigs without a mic processor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months

I was running a simple older rig without a mic compressor.

My signal lacked punch. To the people who could hear me I might have sounded like the BBC, but not many people could hear me.

The MFJ-653 provides mic compression, noise gating, and a boost to the audio frequencies around 2kHz that are critical to intelligibility.

It was a real asset during the CQWW SSB. I'm going to order another one for my QRP rig.

The MFJ-653 is probably the best money I've spent on radio gear in the last few years.