Reviews Categories | Amplifiers: RF Power - HF & HF+6M | Ameritron AL-572B Help

Reviews Summary for Ameritron AL-572B
Ameritron AL-572B Reviews: 56 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $1400
Description: Four Svetlana Russian 572B tubes give near legal limit power.
More info: http://www.ameritron.com/products.php?prodid=AL-572

You can write your own review of the Ameritron AL-572B.

K1LEM Rating: 2/5 Nov 3, 2008 14:11 Send this review to a friend
Bad Tubes as sold  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just took delivery on a NEW Al 572, I owned this rig before I moved from New England and it was a powerhouse when working. However, the tubes supplied tend to gas arc causing damages.

Oh, yes, I never learn, the new amp just arced and took out a 50 ohm resistor, Q2 and Q 3 in the bias line. I called Ameritron and after a little help the tech told me to check the four tube bases, 50 ohm resistors, to discover which tube was bad. That done the bad tube was discovered, leaving only three more tubes to arc, at some other date.

I am an engineer retired and know how to swing a soldering iron, so they are shipping me two 50 ohm resistors, and Q 3 and Q 2.

I should have known, this amp is only a good as its tubes and you should save yourself aaggraation, just buy four balanced 572 B Taylors from RF Parts and not even try using tubes supplied.

Over all this amp is a lilttle work horse with near legal output at a cool temperature, but beware of the bad tube issues. This problem has not disappeared.

KA2ZNI Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2008 20:56 Send this review to a friend
One terrific Amplifier  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
When the original tubes are replaced with Taylors look out... This thing really wakes up and get's with it. I wired it for 220 immediately, I feel anything Kilowatt status or plus is only doing it favors.

The amp is easy to tune, I have had it going on a year and the thing has been trouble free, even occasionally using it on AM while keeping the Plate current at .275 mills and the plate voltage at about 2600 volts when keyed, yields roughly about 250 watts, which is what it should be rated at with a little headroom for asymmetrical modulation.

The Amplifier on SSB with Taylors/220 volts yields about 1400 watts out and I have run it continuously that way for extended periods on 20 meters with no ill effects or excessive heat build up.

In today's market where the prices of amps is going thru the roof, this one you cannot beat for the the price, durability and output in an inexpensive tube.

KB3LAZ Rating: 4/5 May 26, 2008 00:49 Send this review to a friend
Not Bad  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The 572 is not a bad amp, nor is it a great amp.
Iv had it for around 5 months now. Relatively quiet fan. Keeps cool rather well after extensive use. However the output power stops increasing at about 65w of drive, which only gives me around 900w. I only have 110 in my shack but others swear that I should still get full output power. So Im going to switch to 220 and see if It will do full output then. If not 900w will suffice. Although i will continue to run at about 1kw. I just think running 1200+ w with these tubes would only shorten their life. Not a bad amp but if I were able to do it all over I would just buy the 811H!

W7OVE Rating: 3/5 Apr 11, 2008 10:42 Send this review to a friend
3.5/5  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This an update of my last review of the 572B amp. I was unable to completely resolve the issues with 15/17 meter tuning..After putting this amp on the air I noticed the swr between the transceiver and the 572 would suddenly jump to 3.5 to 1+ during a "qso".This of course cut the exciter power to almost nothing, forcing an end to said "qso" I contacted Ameritron and and talked to Mike. I expressed my dissatisfaction with the 572B, and asked if I could return it for credit and purchase an AL-82. Mike agreed to make the exchange and I paid the difference. Because I spend 80% off my on-air time on 17 meters I am not a fan of this amp. For me there are to many compromises with 15/17 meters. Having said that I have to say Ameritron is a very good company to deal with. Mike understood my concerns and making the exchange for the AL-82 was very easy. I would recommend any Amateur who is looking for an amp give this company a chance. I purchased the 572 because the tubes are inexpensive to replace, but as I found out, that should not be the only concern depending on what your operating parameters are

KB3MMX Rating: 5/5 Nov 13, 2007 18:22 Send this review to a friend
BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK---PERIOD!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this amp from the sale of a SK's gear(WA3VDX). The previous owner(Buck) took excellent care of the Amp and I am impressed with the performance of this model amplifier!
As noted on another review, the output on some bands is better than advertised! Another nice thing is how quick and easy the tune up is and also the ultra quick 3 second warm up period.
Fan "noise" in my opinion is very good, it is not a noisy unit, as I have it on my desk about 3' from my Mic and the fan is not picked up in my audio.
Gotta love the Warm Glow of those tubes too!!
This is a "MUST HAVE" for the operator trying to get the most amplifier for the buck!!!!
Near legal limit for a fraction of the price!!!
Tube replacement costs are inexpensive if ever needed too!!

You won't be sorry with the purchase of this amp!!

73 and best DX,

KB3MMX----Chuck

WP3EX Rating: 5/5 Jul 31, 2007 19:21 Send this review to a friend
Powerful and Inexpensive  Time owned: more than 12 months
Real name: AL-572, I got this amp used with Bad Bias Circuit but i repair all the circuit, Unfortunately in event of gas-arc,glitch,overload Etc. blown some Transistors disabling the dynamic Bias Circuit. Then I decide to improve the Dynamic Bias Circuit: I replaced the Q101 and Q102 with 2N2222 and 2N2907, then i replaced the Q103 with a 25A TIP35C. Resulting in a High Current Very rugged and stable Dynamic Bias Circuit, although in event of a gas-arc,glitch,overload Etc will keep Working at all,
"I Like my AL-572"
73, WP3EX

N9FME Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2007 14:07 Send this review to a friend
High power @ great price  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased this amp on the used market. After replacing the tubes with a new set of matched Taylor 572B's this little jewel is doing a great job!!

It will easily do 1300 + on all bands with about 75W drive. Very shortly, I will be converting to 240 operation.

The fan is literally whisper quiet and you really have to listen to hear it. As others have commented, if you happen to find one that has not been abused, you will not be disappointed. If I ever ever buy another amp, I will definitely hang onto this one for a spare...Ameritron Tech support also gets high marks!!!!

WW5AA Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2006 14:25 Send this review to a friend
Still ticking  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 9 years I have replaced the tubes just because! Still full output prior. This amp just keeps on ticking. Replaced a meter light and that is the only problem I have ever had with this amp. Tuning is easy and settings are reproducible time after time. Just bought a used one as a back up to this amp and the AL80b.

K5QBX Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2006 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Good Piece of Gear  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the amp now for over a year and have NO complaints. The plate and load factory recommended settings are very close and good starting points. It has a sharp dip in plate current and the if you load it just past the point of max out, it is reported to have a very clean signal, i.e. no splatter or buckshotting on adjacent frequencies. I drive it with a TenTec Jupiter (between 45-60 watts drive) and run the amp at a 1KW on sideband and if I use it on CW, at about 500 watts. It runs QUIET and the exhaust air temperature is approximately 120 degrees after 3-4 minutes talking continuously in SSB or 3-4 minutes of CW. The fan seems to do a good job of removing the heat from the finals. It will easily reach the advertised output on a dedicated 125 volt line.

It's very easy to tune and the controls are very smooth. The metering is large and for me, easy to read. It arrived undamaged and has worked out of the box with no problems. One handy feature was the 12v jack on the back...I run the fan in my dry dummy load with it and don't have to remember to turn it on when I go to load the amp. All in all, a solid product...

KC4CP Rating: 0/5 Jun 14, 2006 08:24 Send this review to a friend
BIG PROBLEMS  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this amp about 3 years ago. From the beginning, it had problems. It continued to arc and blow one component after another one. After 2 trips to Ameritron, Ameritron finally reimbursed my money (good for them). This is the only Ameritron amp that has ever given me trouble. I have heard some say that the problem is cheaply made tubes. Perhaps Ameritron has worked out the problem. For the record, I love my 811, 811-H, 500, 1200, etc. So this is not Ameritron bashing... just my personal experience.