Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | Kantronics MT1200 Help

Reviews Summary for Kantronics MT1200
Kantronics MT1200 Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $200
Description: MT1200 Wireless Modem with optional embedded GPS.
1200 baud TNC for packet and/or APRS.
More info: http://www.kantronics.com/products/mt1200.html

You can write your own review of the Kantronics MT1200.

W6GDK Rating: 2/5 Oct 26, 2008 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Documentation sucks as does website  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this TNC 2 weeks ago to use as an APRS mobile tracker. The documentation came with an addendum regarding new commands, but with absolutely no information on how to use the commands.

There are some documented commands (RESTORE) for example that don't even work.

The website offers no information or support other than the users manual. Access to the "Forum" results in a display of some code, but no forum. This needs to be fixed or removed.

I had trouble with the before mentioned keying up of a Yaesu FT-1802 when the TNC is turned off. Do not see the problem with an Icom IC-207 I have in my car.

Took some work to get it set up, and there is more work to be done once I learn how some of these poorly documented commands work

KN6UX Rating: 4/5 Apr 15, 2008 15:17 Send this review to a friend
Small, powerfull, easy to mount.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased five of the MT1200G (GPS included) for our search and rescue group for vehicle beacons.

PROS:
Easy to mount
Small
DB9 for access while beaconing (since GPS is built-in)
Good status display
Good Digi support (UIFLOOD, etc. on updated firmware)
Intelligent beaconing (moving vs stopped)
Flash updates (no more PROMS)

CONS:
Hardware bug causes some radios to key when power is turned off or removed from MT1200.
No MIC-E

If you are used to the command set of the KPC-3, you will feel right at home.

AF6DS Rating: 4/5 Nov 15, 2007 21:29 Send this review to a friend
Small/compact, inexpensive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
(non-GPS version reviewed):
I bought my unit for $125 at the candy store when they had a one-day manufacturers sale. I use this product as a 1200 baud packet TNC on 2 meters.

Pros:
- small/compact, and a good price.
- mounting flange allows unit to be mounted easily.

Improvements that can be made:
- some way to save current TNC settings (besides factory reset), since some packet/APRS software changes the TNC settings - so it would be nice to restore what you had before.
- documentation for Jumpers J2 and J4 are confusing regarding position settings - emailed tech support, but yet to hear from them.
- my Yaesu FT-1802 transmits (keys up) when I power off the TNC. Not sure if it is my wiring or a TNC design issue.
- external GPS connector is unique and hard to find the male mating connector - probably need to order from Kantronics.
- screw posts on the DB-9 serial connectors could be tightened with some Locktite - otherwise they easily could come loose.
- does not have BBS capability

73's AF6DS