Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Drake TR-7 Help

Reviews Summary for Drake TR-7
Drake TR-7 Reviews: 39 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $1495.00 (new 1980)
Description: A solid state Drake, that is solid!
More info: http://www.dproducts.be/drake_museum/

You can write your own review of the Drake TR-7.

WB7TXG Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2009 17:06 Send this review to a friend
Love the Radio!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own two TR7 radios - both were bought used. I've had one for 8 years and another for 1 year. These radios will hold their own with anything out there.. period!

And yes.. I own more modern radios - PRO2.. but the TR7 radios are unique because:
.. Last rig Drake made for amateurs
.. Solid state
.. Represents (I Think)the shift to solid state
.. They keep running.. and running

If you can find one that has not been modified and butchered I would recommend buying it. No.. they dont have memories, no PC interface, etc but they work.

Plus.. its nice to own some equipment that is American made and made with a lot of pride and TLC.

Anyway.. that is my opinion.. I also have the B Line and a TR4CW...

W2KG Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2009 14:56 Send this review to a friend
I've owned mine for 27 years....  Time owned: more than 12 months
Like the title says, I've owned mine for twenty-seven years and it's still cooking. I've got the full monty (as another reviewer quipped): RV7, MS7, PS7, NB, and three filters. I've owned other rigs and still do, but they're going to bury the TR7 with me.

AA7LV Rating: 5/5 Jan 9, 2009 14:43 Send this review to a friend
A CLASSIC! Works Fine..Lasted a Long Time  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have had my TR-7 for 3 months now. It hears whatever is out there and puts out over 100 watts. Best of all it is user..serviceable!
Plug in circuit boards and readily available spares means never having to say your sorry you bought it. If it were a basket case you could sell the good boards for more than the price of the radio.No bad for a 30 year old radio.Just added an L-7 if I need more than 100-150 watts. WHAT MORE COULD A CHEAP HAM ASK FOR?!?!

N0FQN Rating: 0/5 Jan 9, 2009 08:33 Send this review to a friend
POS  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had one I wouldn't own one ever again. I detest radios with plug-in boards. Good for commercial use but, in ham radio??? Hard to get parts for, mine kept blowing out components. Just didn't like the way it was built and no serious memories. too many options to get. Can't beleive the NB, AUX board are options. JUst not my type of rig. Love the 4 series a whole lot better.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2009 08:23 Send this review to a friend
great radio even today  Time owned: more than 12 months
Looks like hams and commercial fishermen were not the only folks who saw the virtues of the TR 7. Dope smugglers apparently used them too. Roger Nelson, the author of Sugar Alpha, was convicted of drug smuggling so he likely had first hand experience. Read a preview page:

These guys could have afforded any radio on earth. Interesting that they chose the TR 7.

WD5CCW Rating: 5/5 May 22, 2008 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Big Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently acquired a FULL set Drake TR-7 (including RV7, MN2700, and L7) although I don't have enough room to get the amplifier going, I have had alot of fun getting this rig up and running. The only thing I found not working was the backlight above the Main tuning dial. But with the digital counter above, it wasn't really needed. I like the "calibration" switch on it, a little more modern than my first rig I owned. For a solid state, it really cranks out the watts. Nice looking rig and well built!

KC9MSA Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2008 16:37 Send this review to a friend
Best radio ever....American made, bulletproof!!!!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Best radio ever made....this receiver is more sensitive than that of an Icom 756 Pro III. No kidding. I've seen them side by side...the Drake has a better receive!!!

Very attractive radio, American made, overbuilt like crazy, it'll never fail!!!!

K3MD Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2007 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Neat  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Over the past 3 months have acquired a TR-7 with remote VFO and the coveted SP-7 speech processor to add to my vintage rig collection. The only problems were a little tweaking on the SP-7 and a shorted out 500 Hz filter I originally obtained (apparently the short was a solder bead between one of the pins and the case- fixed by putting in one of the INRAD filters, which worked first time).
This rig is BIG and HEAVY for a transistorized rig, but functions very well and has a feel of excellent quality. With the single IF filters, the skirts are not overly sharp, but still very nice (IF is around 5.6 MHz). The rig can be converted to WARC bands, etc., if you desire. Very sensitive, good audio, easily meshes with old fashioned linears with minus 150 volts on the key line. Very stable, nice to have a 25 KHz crystal marker built in. Those blue windows are truly neat. An excellent addition to your Drake/ boatanchor collection. 2T service services them (although mine, bought from a ham rather than an estate dealer on EBay, worked first time).

WB7QXU Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2006 20:29 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used Tr-7 over the years and have always been amazed on how well the hear and how quiet they are. The noise blanker and PBT really work and you can tell they work. Much quieter than more modern rigs, and mine was easy to modify for 60m operations. the only small drawl back is the radio needs a good 15min to warm up for the VFO to be rock solid, but that is because the PTO with synthizer is a little older technology, but it sure hears as well as my PROII and no need for DSP, Receive audio is so pleasent to listen to, like the old tube audio. Rock solid in construction built to last. Always a great pleasure to use even on AM it sounds nice.

KA7OEI Rating: 4/5 Jan 12, 2006 15:23 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank...  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I got this radio back in 1984, I wanted to get a radio for which I would be able to get electronic parts 20 years later. I still can. It's a bit beat up, having been hauled all over the place, but it still works very well.

As far as the receiver goes, it is about the best of any receiver that I have used, particularly in terms of dynamic range, etc: Some complain about lack of sensitivity - especially on 10 and 15 meters - but as long as you can hear atmospheric noise when you connect the antenna, you are already hearing all that there is to hear - and with the TR-7, you can.

The noise blanker is, by far, the best of any that I have used: When the Russian woodpecker was around, it would take a 40-over pulse down to nothing - or at least down so that your were being QRM'ed by the backscatter instead. It still does a great job on the random noise pulse or light dimmer noise, and it works without "fuzzing" up signals or causing intermod to nearly the extent that other noise blankers do.

The only problem that I have had is with the Driver/PA stages. Once in a great while, something would break into oscillation and then take out a PA transistor: Eventually, I traced it down to an intermittent driver transistor and solved the problem for good.

The internal VFO isn't quite as stable as I'd like (a common complaint) owing to the heating caused by the lamps and the PA, but I usually use the remote VFO anyway or, more recently, a homebrew DDS VFO.

The PS-7 power supply is grossly overbuilt - and the only problem that I've had with it was the failure of the main filter capacitors (after 20+ years, that's not unexpected...) I also have the SP-75 AF/RF speech processor: As with any processor one can go overboard with it, one can apply 6-10 dB of compression to add some punch without it being obvious to anyone listening that there is any processing inline.