Reviews Categories | DC Power Supply Distribution Panels | West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 8012 Help

Reviews Summary for West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 8012
West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 8012 Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: The RIGRunner 8012 provides distribution of up to 80 amps at 12VDC across two 40 amp busses. Includes an unambiguous precision overvoltage and under voltage indicators with audio alert. The audio alert is selectable for over and/or under voltage or may be disabled. The 8012 includes a six foot #8 gauge supply cable which is hard wired to the buss.
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com

You can write your own review of the West Mountain Radio RIGrunner 8012.

N0FPE Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2013 17:15 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have been using mine for 10 years now. Not a single problem. well worth the money!

WD6S Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2013 13:59 Send this review to a friend
Reliable  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this installed in my shack for at least 5 years. I feed it from two batteries that are charged by a solar panel. When I had battery problems I switched to an Alinco 35 amp power supply and everything worked fine. I have an ICOM 756 Pro III, IC-7000, IC 2200, and IC 708 connected to the Rigrunner and can have them all on, though not transmitting, at the same time. I intend to install one in my shack at our desert cabin when I get the solar systems set up there.

My only slight complaint is the power poles do not mechanically engage as tight as I would like so I secure them with wire ties, but that is not the Rigrunner's fault.

KD4IEZ Rating: 4/5 Mar 28, 2008 18:27 Send this review to a friend
QC needs to be looked at  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recieved my 8012 and wired it to the Astron power supply. Found the polarity reversed inside the 8012 after checking with the VOM. Better check it before you put any equipment to it. Clay Lord KD4IEZ

AB4D Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2007 16:21 Send this review to a friend
Well made and helps organize DC distribution in your station  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 8012 after seeing what was available on the market, which isn't much. It seems the only readily available distribution panels either come from West Mountain or MFJ. I tend to stay away from MFJ products after having to do repairs on new MFJ equipment. The West Mountain 8012 is made from heavy steel, no flimsy metal here like is used by some manufactures. The panel comes hard wired with six feet of #8 red/black supply cable, terminated to ring connectors. In my installation, I cut off the rings and added 75 amp powerpoles which match a double fused feeder from my power supply, works great. The 8012 only accepts powerpole connectors, so I changed all my DC supply cords to power poles or made adapter cables as necessary, it is nice to have everything matched. I mounted the panel vertically to the back of my desk using four screws through the holes supplied in the panel, which makes the panel easily accessible to plug in new station items. I have not experienced any problems with loose connections, as some have noted in other Rigrunner reviews, but I do tie wrap all of my cables and give good strain relief, which IMO, should be done in all station installations. I run a variable power supply so the built in high/low voltage LED indicators and alarms are a nice feature to notify you in case of a under (11.5v) or over (15.0v) voltage condition. My only complaint is I wish the panel had a built in accurate volt meter as well so I could set the voltage to 13.8v. As a special note, although the panel comes supplied with the fuses cascaded from higher values to lower values, West Mountain indicates that you can run any size fuse up to 40 amps in any tap, as long as the total load at any given time does not exceed 40 amps for each buss, but they do recommend that you equalize the load between the two busses. Overall, it appears to be a well made product that should give good service for many years.