Reviews Categories | Speakers for communications use | Clear Speech Noise Reduction Speaker by West Mountain Radio Help

Reviews Summary for Clear Speech Noise Reduction Speaker by West Mountain Radio
Clear Speech Noise Reduction Speaker by West Mountain Radio Reviews: 15 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $219.95
Description: The CLRspkr is a 4-inch loudspeaker containing a ClearSpeech® adaptive noise reduction circuit and audio amplifier. The DSP passes the voice and CW sounds, while attenuating noise, such as hum, hiss, whistles, and static. It effectively removes heterodynes, ignition noise, lightening crashes, power line noise, and hum. The process is dynamic and changes with the interference and the signal. Mobile voice operation is fun without all that background noise. It is ideal for mobile radio operation.
More info: http://www.westmountainradio.com/

You can write your own review of the Clear Speech Noise Reduction Speaker by West Mountain Radio.

AK9S Rating: 2/5 Mar 15, 2014 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Disappointed  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
While the speaker does offer DSP filtering, it introduced a moderately loud hum.

After contacting the manufacturer, I was given troubleshooting instructions and it was determined the audio cable was picking up a 60 Hz hum from the transformer powering the speaker.

I purchased an audio line isolation filter for $40 to filter out the hum without success. As a last test, I connected this speaker to my iPad and the hum was still there, with and without the isolation filter.

It appears the audio amplifier of the speaker was not designed to isolate transformer hum. Also, I have noticed intermittent clicking sounds from the speaker when the DSP is activated.

I regret spending money on this item. Seems like a design flaw.

N7GCO Rating: 5/5 Apr 16, 2012 18:08 Send this review to a friend
Excellent in Truck  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had a number of different speakers connected to my Icom 706 in my Dodge Diesel truck, This is by far the best. It has power, so you can hear it even with road noise. The DSP is outstanding. I can eliminate so much noise that I would hate to be without it.

My only criticism would be that the bracket is made of plastic. It would be much better if it were made of metal.

K5KNM Rating: 5/5 Mar 25, 2012 22:15 Send this review to a friend
Great product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this speaker after being let down by Gap's hear it speaker. The Clear Speech is way better for a mobile setup.

The main problem with the Gap speaker was I couldn't get enough volume where as with the Clear speech, I have more volume than needed, Great! The only advantage I see between the 2 is the smaller size of the Gap speaker.

I left a review for the Gap Hear It Speaker if your interested on my comments.

The DSP on this speaker has a true variable pot where the Gap has one but it has 8 detent settings so it isn't truly a variable pot like the Clear Speech speaker.

All the controls are on the front of the speaker and are large and easy to see and operate, where as the Gap's you have to find them because they are all over the place.

The DSP quality works very good on the noisy bands and other noises I encounter with my mobile rig. I can now really enjoy listening to the 40 meter band more than ever since that usually is the noisiest band. Also gone is the electrical noise heard from my truck's fuel injection system primarily on that band as well.

The speaker is big, but it seems to be built well. I would agree what others have said that the supplied mounting bracket is poor quality, oh well, nothings perfect! I'm thinking of getting another one for my base since these work so well.

I would definitely recommend this speaker to anyone!

N5SWE Rating: 5/5 Jan 2, 2012 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Best I have used  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This one is a winner! Great amplification and sound. front controls are great. I usually leave it on low and it sure helps my IC-756 pro2.
I tried the Gap version and the little switches in back were a pain. It did not have amplification and to get enough volume over-drove it.(red "clip" lights).

KB2HUK Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2011 18:59 Send this review to a friend
The best I have tried !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have tried several different speakers in my truck to see how they would work to include the sounds sweet, Voice master and motorola . Some were not practical because of there size others just didn't sound good . I think these clear speech speakers are Great! without a doubt the best most powerful easy to listen to mobile speaker that I have ever tried . The Noise reduction works great much better than the Noise Reduction in my icom 7000 . do your self a favor and get one of these great mobiling speakers.

W4TMC Rating: 0/5 Jun 8, 2011 19:46 Send this review to a friend
Unit did not work as advertised  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one of these speakers last week via AES. I used it for a few days and it did not work as advertised. The instructions say as you advance the control the red light will blink and then it will turn solid green. My red light went green in one split second without any advancing of the control. The only stations I could hear were 59+ signals. I could not copy weak signals at all. I called manufacturer and they were willing to replace the unit. I was so disappointed that I just sent it back to AES for a refund. The manufacturer's claims seem to me to breaking the laws of physics and I decided to cut my losses. I also noted on the West Mountain website that they had a batch of units they had recalled and replaced. Based on my experience, I am guessing they are building the units off shore and having problems with their contract manufacturer.
Mike, W4TMC

VK4TJF Rating: 5/5 Nov 5, 2010 04:02 Send this review to a friend
very nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well i hooked it up to my icom 706 and the cigarette lighter for mobile use and let me say that this works a treat. here is a story to illustrate this point. driving home from visiting family i got on a 40 meter dx net and heard another aussie sign off the net saying that the over the horizon radar was too much and that hear couldn't hear the dx anymore so he is leaving. then i signed on the net and made contact into N.H. state easy and that was with the DSP one the first level

W9GDH Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2010 16:14 Send this review to a friend
MOBILE  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Mobile with Kenwood TS-50. Great audio from unit.
DO NOT MOBILE WITH OUT ONE.
Worked so good got the Clearspeech® DSP noise reduction Processor with 2 watt amplifier
unit for my Kenwood TS-450.

N5UD Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2010 13:58 Send this review to a friend
Cleans up audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this mobile. It really helps eliminate background noise. This includes ignition, and power line static. Helps eliminate adjacent QRM. Makes listening to radio much more fun. I have it mounted on the dash, and the plastic mount does allow some vibration.
I am using a Kenwood transceiver with the noise blanker always on.

KG6YRC Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2010 14:27 Send this review to a friend
works so good I bought two of them  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have 2 of these speakers one on my Icom 746 pro and the other on a FT897D. I set the dial at medium or low eliminates about 75 percent of the background noise and am still able to hear weak stations. They are wonderful if you live in a noisy area.