Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | W2ENY Headset Help

Reviews Summary for W2ENY Headset
W2ENY Headset Reviews: 28 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $$45
Description: Noise canceling element works great on my 756PROII, lightweight and good sound. Excellent reports!!
More info: http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze3rys4//headset_icom/

You can write your own review of the W2ENY Headset.

KG4RUL Rating: 5/5 Sep 10, 2013 09:05 Send this review to a friend
More Reliable Than My Heil BM-5  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had no problems with the headset or adapter in use with my Kenwood TS2000(X) and FT-100D. In fact, my Heil BM-5 had the bracket that holds the shaft of the boom mike to the earpiece break in the first three months of use necessitating a replacement. Later, the wiring to the boom mike became intermittent. At that point, the unit was broken down for parts.

AK4SK Rating: 2/5 Sep 10, 2013 06:50 Send this review to a friend
Just Buy the Adapter, Spend a Little More for a Better Headset  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought a dual ear headset from W2ENY off of ebay in the late spring of 2012 for $40 if I remember correctly. It quit on me two days ago during a net after 15 months of light use in my shack. The first sign of trouble was that the received audio became intermittent and the next time I transmitted I received reports of an electrical sound in my transmission. I'm not sure what's wrong, but it's in the headset. No support or service is offered from W2ENY and to be fair none is promised when you buy his stuff. You're basically paying for an adapter for your particular radio and a cheap Labtec headset to go with it. The adapter is good enough quality for being hand made. I would buy one again but basically there is no other source for them for my radio so I don't have many options other than to make my own. My recommendation is to buy an adapter from wherever if you need it and then buy a better quality headset that will last.

W6USC Rating: 5/5 Nov 24, 2010 07:07 Send this review to a friend
Great Headset and Service  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased this headset and I am very pleased with it. Bob is very fast to reply to questions and provides quality products and service. The headset sounds great on the air! Ive ordered one for my Yaesu 857D Had a Problem with the Modular Connector For My Icom 706MKIIG and in a few Hours i got a response for a replacement NOW THATS SERVICE THANKS BOB
The Push To Talk Switch is great and has a nice feel to it also HIGHLY RECOMENDED

KG3V Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2010 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Great audio, low price  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Bought this as a low-cost headset for my Icom IC-7000 for contests. In my first tests I had two QSOs and both raved about the audio, asking what I was using. Pleasant surprise. I'm glad I didn't spend big bucks now.

I rarely give a "5" but what more could I ask?

KC9CUK Rating: 5/5 Feb 23, 2010 17:23 Send this review to a friend
GREAT HEADSET  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got one of the dual ear headsets from Bob and all I can say is wow, This is the best audio for the money period. This headset gets better audio reports then my heil travaler, gm-5 goldline and mc-60 desk mic. I am active from 160m-70cm if you would like to hear it on the air email me and I will demo it for you. I use it on the ts-2000, ts-790a, tm-v71a and my ft-736r with a adapter works great. The headset is not comercial quality but is noce for the money. One last note the handheld push to talk is way to hard to push to make it practical for long time use but that might just be me. TRY ONE AND YOU WILL LOVE IT

K6HR Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2009 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months

K4RAF Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2009 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Products/Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using a W2ENY headset on my 706MKIIG & received excellent reports. Simple, easy to install & comfortable.

I also purchased W2ENY amp relay for 706. It is an amazingly compact product that solves the relay stupidity built into todays radios!

W2ENY is a good guy, excellent communications & will make you most any custom product for other radios if you tel him what you want.

I recommend him highly. I'd never pay the prices Heil wants for his overblown, overpriced crap IMHO.

K5YY Rating: 3/5 Sep 30, 2009 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Not good for pre PRO Icoms  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The premium headset for Icom that I got about 5 months ago was put into service the first time recently, and I had problems driving my non-Pro 781 and 746. It appears the element W2ENY selected has the output of an HC4 Heil which Bob Heil now admits is not real useful for the 781/746 and pre Pro Icoms. I had to run my mike gain on both rigs all the way up to get into the ALC range, just as I had to do with a previous Heil HC4/5 dual element mike. So, even though the Icom adapter cable supposedly allows you to use the ENY headset with Icom rigs, the element gain is too low to drive the pre-Pro Icoms in my opinion. W2ENY did answer my email and suggested I might return it for another similar unit but I did not feel it worth shipping charges both ways for something that was only $40 initially. So, I am assuming the Icom adapter does allow the headset to be used with the PRO series and only wished that there had been a disclaimer in the ad to state results were not the best with the Pre Pro Icoms. One fixed response element will not drive the PROs and pre PROs equally.The results I had were the same as with an HC4/5 element setup. Product OK for some but not me. You just need more element output to drive the audio input stages in the pre-PROs. Good email responses, initially. Probably OK for the price but a bit flimsy construction overall.

KC2QYM Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2009 13:41 Send this review to a friend
W2ENY's Adapter for My Icom Hit the Mark  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased W2ENY's mic adapter for my ICOM 718 last year. I did not need the boom mic/headset from W2ENY as I had a few electret condenser headsets in my shack already. The adapter has worked flawlessly with my now two ICOMs ever since. Again, I can't comment on the headset quality since I didn't buy one but from my experience, all three of the various boom mic electret headsets I have work perfectly with my ICOMs with very good reports. Obviously wiring schemes are different between the manufacturers but the adapter for my ICOM was right on for my needs.

EI3GRB Rating: 1/5 Jun 21, 2009 16:19 Send this review to a friend
terrible quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What I received was a POOR Quality, POOR fitting, Labtec computer headset. The receive quality is the worst I have ever experienced. Tried it on 2 different rigs & only pulled in noise.

It is certainly not the headset on this link
however to be fair it was the headset which was pictured on ebay,
after reading the reviews here I though this would be ideal for mobile/ portable use but it is already gone in the rubbish bin & I have returned to using my trusty Heil.

At the end of the day I suppose you get what you pay for, if you need quality kit you pay the price. I could have bought similar to this from Hong Kong for a couple of euro with the interface lead freely available for similar.