Reviews Categories | Headphones & Boom-mic Headsets | W2ENY Headset Help

Reviews Summary for W2ENY Headset
W2ENY Headset Reviews: 33 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $$45
Description: Noise canceling element works great on my 756PROII, lightweight and good sound. Excellent reports!!
More info: http://www.w2eny.com

You can write your own review of the W2ENY Headset.

K6HR Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2009 18:07 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased this headset and I am very pleased with it. Bob is very fast to reply to questions and provides quality products and service. The headset sounds great on the air!

K4RAF Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2009 18:44 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Products/Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been using a W2ENY headset on my 706MKIIG & received excellent reports. Simple, easy to install & comfortable.

I also purchased W2ENY amp relay for 706. It is an amazingly compact product that solves the relay stupidity built into todays radios!

W2ENY is a good guy, excellent communications & will make you most any custom product for other radios if you tel him what you want.

I recommend him highly. I'd never pay the prices Heil wants for his overblown, overpriced crap IMHO.

K5YY Rating: 3/5 Sep 30, 2009 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Not good for pre PRO Icoms  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The premium headset for Icom that I got about 5 months ago was put into service the first time recently, and I had problems driving my non-Pro 781 and 746. It appears the element W2ENY selected has the output of an HC4 Heil which Bob Heil now admits is not real useful for the 781/746 and pre Pro Icoms. I had to run my mike gain on both rigs all the way up to get into the ALC range, just as I had to do with a previous Heil HC4/5 dual element mike. So, even though the Icom adapter cable supposedly allows you to use the ENY headset with Icom rigs, the element gain is too low to drive the pre-Pro Icoms in my opinion. W2ENY did answer my email and suggested I might return it for another similar unit but I did not feel it worth shipping charges both ways for something that was only $40 initially. So, I am assuming the Icom adapter does allow the headset to be used with the PRO series and only wished that there had been a disclaimer in the ad to state results were not the best with the Pre Pro Icoms. One fixed response element will not drive the PROs and pre PROs equally.The results I had were the same as with an HC4/5 element setup. Product OK for some but not me. You just need more element output to drive the audio input stages in the pre-PROs. Good email responses, initially. Probably OK for the price but a bit flimsy construction overall.

KC2QYM Rating: 5/5 Jun 22, 2009 13:41 Send this review to a friend
W2ENY's Adapter for My Icom Hit the Mark  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased W2ENY's mic adapter for my ICOM 718 last year. I did not need the boom mic/headset from W2ENY as I had a few electret condenser headsets in my shack already. The adapter has worked flawlessly with my now two ICOMs ever since. Again, I can't comment on the headset quality since I didn't buy one but from my experience, all three of the various boom mic electret headsets I have work perfectly with my ICOMs with very good reports. Obviously wiring schemes are different between the manufacturers but the adapter for my ICOM was right on for my needs.

EI3GRB Rating: 1/5 Jun 21, 2009 16:19 Send this review to a friend
terrible quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
What I received was a POOR Quality, POOR fitting, Labtec computer headset. The receive quality is the worst I have ever experienced. Tried it on 2 different rigs & only pulled in noise.

It is certainly not the headset on this link
however to be fair it was the headset which was pictured on ebay,
after reading the reviews here I though this would be ideal for mobile/ portable use but it is already gone in the rubbish bin & I have returned to using my trusty Heil.

At the end of the day I suppose you get what you pay for, if you need quality kit you pay the price. I could have bought similar to this from Hong Kong for a couple of euro with the interface lead freely available for similar.

W0CBF Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2009 09:31 Send this review to a friend
A great value  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I don't write too many reviews but I really felt that I should write one for this headset from W2ENY. I purchased it off of eBay kinda on a whim. I didn't think that it would work very well but the price was right and I figured that the headphones and the boom was worth the price alone. Boy oh boy was I wrong, it works GREAT! I have received many compliments on the sound quality and I am very satisfied. Its not a Heil but because of the price a Heil product is out of the question. Also from the eBay purchase W2ENY wanted to know what type of rig I was going to use it on and I said a Yaesu FT-840. Well he had to include a small battery pack (2 AAA batteries) for the microphone element which he did at no additional cost. Stop reading right now and go purchase one of these, you won't be sorry. From the sound of the other reviews he really has a hit on his hands. Thanks for reading and especially thanks to W2ENY.

KA2OVK Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2009 13:26 Send this review to a friend
Good reports at a fraction of other headsets!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Now adding a Yaesu FT-920 in the shack and Icom 706 in the car, this guy has it all connected! Never a bad report, Premium set works great with the 920, lots of DX worked in the car with the single ear model - Very Good Deal, even the foot switch!! Thanks, this is his website - http://members.fortunecity.com/w2eny/

N2GOK Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2009 19:52 Send this review to a friend
Happy Operator  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just receive my preium headset and am very please with both it's audio quality and price.
My Ft-920 seems to come to life with the headset and after a simple eq adjustment, I manage to cut throught most pile ups.
Bob is on to something good.

WJ1X Rating: 5/5 Jan 8, 2009 15:07 Send this review to a friend
Great RX  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered on Sunday by eMail and received Wednesday very well packed Hooked up to 746Pro and called for contacts at 100 watts and had to cut back to 60 watts because my signal punch was to strong, Got all great reports at 60 watts.
Have used a lot of earphones before and always had a sore ear from weight of phones= these two earphones weighing nothing and were very comfortable. The quality of incoming voices were just great/best ever. Set the phones up on the TX and adjusted volume and unhooked the speaker as it couldn't match this setup. Now I'm happy.
Thanks Bob for VERY fast service.
John Berg WJ1X

WV4L Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2009 05:46 Send this review to a friend
Great product and good value.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had my mono-rail headset for about a week but it works great and I get excellent audio reports. I ordered the mono-rail due to the legal requirement of having one ear open while driving. I ordered two adapters, one for my mobile (IC706MKIIG) and one for base (Kenwood TS2000) and it works great on both rigs. Once you get the settings on the rigs dialed in you are good to go. I keep the mobile set on VOX for hands free operation and switch between VOX and a PTT on base. Be advised, don't put the mike too close to your mouth, you don't need to.