Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Scorpion Antennas SA6-160 Help

Reviews Summary for Scorpion Antennas SA6-160
Scorpion Antennas SA6-160 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $899
Description: SA-6160 covers 10 through 160 meters.
Length retracted: 43 Extended: 65
3 inch diameter coil with 14 gage tinned copper wire wound at 10 TPI.
Mobile or backyard typical vswr 1.5:1 or less.
Antenna rated at 1500 watts PEP
Weight 18 Lbs
More info: http://www.scorpionantennas.com/antennas.html

You can write your own review of the Scorpion Antennas SA6-160.

W5FTV Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2013 13:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer And TOUGH  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simply put the performance of this antenna is superb! The five foot whip and standard capacity hat versions have exceded my expectations and hopes. That said, the most remarkable thing about the SA6-160 is it's TOUGH. True story - while backing my truck under an unfamiliar carport I committed the unthinkable and smacked the antenna into the corrugated cover. Nope, no damage to the antenna (well, I did bend the 3/4 inch threaded stainless piece at the base a tad!). Not even a scufff. But the carport cover was peeled back an inch or so! That's TOUGH!

KT0G Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2013 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Scorpion antenna has worked well for amateur and MARS operation. Because I have a camper in the bed of the truck the only place to mount was on the brush guard. Hooked up to my TS480HX the SWR is no higher than 1.5:1 from 3.5 to 28.9 mHz. If you are looking for a quality screw driver antenna the Scorpion is the one.

NV6R Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2013 03:10 Send this review to a friend
Has stood the test of time  Time owned: more than 12 months
Okay, this is an updated review. I posted my other review under my old call, AD7VH. I have been running the Scorpion for 4 years now. I live in the mountains at 7100ft above sea level and the Scorpion has performed perfectly at air temps (not windchill) of -40 and has functioned at temps of 120 degrees in the southern Nevada desert, too. I had it mounted on my Chevy truck, which seen some light off-roading, and now it is mounted on a modified Jeep Cherokee XJ, that sees SERIOUS off-roading; the Scorpion hasn't missed a beat.

I still get the great signal reports and talk a lot of DX on 75m -- with close to 100 countries on 75m and 11 on 160m. I have snapped many whips off in 4 years, obliterated several caphats, even had to use an EZ Out to remove a stud that snapped off in the coupler nut, but the Scorpion is just as good as the day I bought it. The high Q coil can be a pain on the low bands, since any nearby metal while traveling in a town causes the SWR to go wacky, but that high Q is responsible for the great signals, so I'm not complaining.

I you want an antenna that is plug-and-play and doesn't take some strategy in figuring out how to mount and match it, the Scorpion isn't for you. If you want the gold standard in mobile antennas, deal with the troubles of mounting it, the troubles associated with matching such a high Q antenna on the low bands, and the big signals that come with it, then the Scorpion is just what you have always dreamed of.

73, John, NV6R

AE7HW Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2013 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had my SA6-160 for more than three years now. I have upgraded to extra class new call AE7HW and just now updating on eham. This antenna has not failed and I do not baby it. Currently mounted in back of my new truck it smacks trees in the woods been smacked by a round bale of hay and no issues. Ron takes care in his workmanship when building these Ive paid allot more for a less quality antenna. Save yourself a headache if you are going to run mobile and want a quality antenna buy one from Ron. I will be buying the 680 for my wife's jeep this summer.

G7IRU Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2012 10:43 Send this review to a friend
brilliant antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is another follow up to my previous two reviews since buying the antenna from Ron in March 2008.I run the antenna with either a 102" whip or a 60" whip depending on where i am driving (open roads or country lanes with low tree branches) and now also have the optional dual switching shunt coils which like the antenna is a work of art !!
I find that using this setup with a Turbo Tuner interface it works brilliantly with my Yaesu 857d and i'm looking forward to adding an amplifier to this antenna to see what it will really do !!
As for customer service i would rate Ron's service as at least a twenty out of ten unlike the service from the maker of the Turbo Tuner (brilliant product,rubbish customer service) which i would give zero out of ten.
i would highly recommend any of the Scorpion antennnas to any ham who wants a bullet proof mobile antenna and i will be buying another sa6-160 off of Ron as soon as funds allow without any hesitation.

VE7GDM Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2012 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Scorpion works fantastically. To give you an example I was the only one on the BC Public Service Net to copy and relay for a Mobile Station in Prince Rupert. Prince Rupert is just across the way from the Alaskan panhandle. I am using it with a 102" whip and a 30" clover leaf top hat. One like K0BG has on his web pages. I am sure I will not be able to get to the highest HF bands with this configuration but does it ever work well on 75 and I am sure on 160. Oh, yes the antenna comes down for travelling. Not a lick of RF feedback with chokes as wound using K0BG's instructions. I had to add one turn to the matching choke you provided and all fell into place. Sure a thing of beauty! On forty it tunes beautifully for winlink Pactor III. The hat It is made from #14 aluminum wire all tig welded to a 6" dia. central hub. It is very light and does not overly effect the whip even in a wind. I do not know its limits yet. The vertical mast is bonded in many places to the skin and frame of the airstream. All known precautions were taken to minimize electrolyses. A Flex 3000 and 500watt amp run well in the unit. To the left of the Scorpion is my normal 39' vertical cut and tuned to 3756 KHZ. I wish I had a way of instantly comparing them but experience over time will have to do.

W5TAH Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2012 15:46 Send this review to a friend
The best on the market  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ron takes plenty of time to talk to you about your installation what you need. He is extremely knowledgeable in his product and in mobile operations. Product support last for years, HE will always be there when you need to talk about a problem. I purchased the black scorpion with a clear cover. This antenna is massive and well worth the cost. I have made contacts on every band 160 thru 10. On 160 I can be heard without an amplifier. I have sense placed in amplifier in the truck and it works like gangbusters. The turning is not touchy, and is easy to tune. You need to mount it in a very solid fashion, has this is a large heavy antenna. The quality is unsurpassed, and you should never have a problem with it. If you want to operate low band dx or mobile this is the antenna for you.

KE5ZW Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2012 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent! Antenna, robust, easy to mount and use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the Scorpion SA6-160 in 2009 after I saw it at the Dayton Hamfest. However, I use it not only for amateur radio, but for Army MARS and Public Safety HF service on my agency communications vehicle.

I had been looking for a mobile screw driver design HF antenna that had a better mounting set up. The huge pin design that Scorpion uses was what I needed. It is secure, robust and now I don't have to worry about it ending up sticking out of the windshield of the guy behind me.

Operationally, I run a 102 inch whip on the SA6-160 with a 16 turn shunt coil and that allows me to reach 2.3mhz freqs I have for public safety communications and the lower MARS freqs. I have not tried it on 160, yet.

Construction of the antenna is first class. I have the black version and so far have had no problems with the paint coming off.

I have a spare than I plan to use as a field deployed antenna. I hope to set it up soon.

Excellent antenna, no more expensive than the other high end HF mobile antennas.

Worth every penny.

W6JPP Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2010 15:03 Send this review to a friend
Great mobile anrenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
After a long talk with Ron who took the time to explain his antenna and his talk with Don Johnson W6AAQ {sk} and his blessing Ron developed a superb improvement to Don's dk3. This antenna to coin another review is built like a tank. I mounted this unit in the left front corner of my pu,never would i have even dared to think of how well this unit would perform. With only 100 watts my first contact was Dublin Ireland with a solid 5-9. Of course the band conditions were good but i had both the scorpion 160 as well as another screwdriver antenna. The scorpion signal was at 5-9 with the scorpion and 5-6/7 with the other. I have taken this antenna all over 4 wheeling and just off roading with no surprises with the performance. To me this antenna gives you more bang for the buck than any other mobile antenna that I have ever used and is so easy to tune up. GREAT JOB RON

WB1I Rating: 5/5 Jun 18, 2010 18:24 Send this review to a friend
Work of art, excellent service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I starting talking with Ron Douglass about this antenna after reading the favorable comments on K0BG's site. http://www.k0bg.com

Ron at Scorpion took the time to explain many things and help me design a mount for my Honda Accord.

The antenna is a precision piece of equipment. The machining and assembly are superb. It is built to withstand any roads or weather. When I was testing my setup, I went for a 200 +/- drive and worked the Ukraine during daylight on 40M while driving 80 mph.

I took the antenna on my 4,200 mile trip to the 3905 Century Club Eyeball in Mississippi in June 2010. I made hundreds of contacts along the way and got great signal reports. At the Eyeball I came in second place in the "mobile shootout". The first place winner was using a Scorpion antenna also!

In my opinion, the Scorpion antennas are the best.