Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Scorpion Antennas SA6-160 Help

Reviews Summary for Scorpion Antennas SA6-160
Scorpion Antennas SA6-160 Reviews: 15 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $949
Description: SA-6160 covers 10 through 160 meters.
Length retracted: 43 Extended: 65
3 inch diameter coil with 14 gage tinned copper wire wound at 10 TPI.
Mobile or backyard typical vswr 1.5:1 or less.
Antenna rated at 1500 watts PEP
Weight 18 Lbs

You can write your own review of the Scorpion Antennas SA6-160.

K5JY Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2016 09:00 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned my Scorpion SA6-160 for a little over a year now, and I really can't add anything to the MANY outstanding reviews posted here, both of the product, and of the company. I read all the reviews of screwdriver antennas on eHam before I decided on Scorpion, and it has definitely lived up to its reputation!

I wanted an antenna that I could use not only mobile, but also in a fixed installation, and the Scorpion makes that very easy to do. I have the recommended tripod mount, and the 16-port "stinger" hub for the elevated ground plane, plus 2 extra "stingers" to swap in/out to let me access the 9 ham bands above 160m and below 6m. Ron worked with me to supply parts for the unique choke configuration I designed for the home installation, as well as adding small but very useful mods to the antenna itself (e.g., a grounding stud with a wingnut to facilitate swapping between the vehicle and the tripod mount.) I can verify that he's very accessible, and quite willing to discuss installation and performance optimization. This business owner truly understands the meaning of "customer service"!

The antenna is, as has been reported here before, "built like a tank," and looks brand new after a year running mobile (over 22,000 miles).

Although the price is higher than most of the competition, the quality, reliability, and performance justifies it. It's simply the best.
G7IRU Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2016 14:02 Send this review to a friend
sa6-160 shunt coil  Time owned: more than 12 months
hi,I recently had a problem with the 160 metre shunt coil on the dual shunt coil box on the sa6-160 antenna breaking. After contacting Ron he sent me another new coil free of charge to myself in the UK and it now works a treat. The antenna is still bomb proof and just keeps working in all weathers. I'm about to install it on a new vehicle so we will see how it does then. I would highly recommend this antenna as once you install it correctly it does so so well.Fantastic product and even better back up service from Ron as usual.
W5TAH Rating: 5/5 Sep 23, 2015 16:15 Send this review to a friend
Built like a tank and radiates a great signal.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned my Scorpion SA-160 for 5 years and It has been on my truck for that amount of time and has given me excellent service this whole time. It puts out a great signal on 160 and every other band. I run 500 watts on the lower bands and I am heard well on 160. 2 years ago a semi tractor trailer crossed the center line at 75 mph and something on the trailer first hit my drivers side mirror as if it had been hit with a 50 BMG round and then hit the scorpion amtenna. The only damage to the antenna was a dent in the lexan covering and a blemish on the powder coating. The antenna 100% survived and continues to work. I can tune 1.8 to 30 MHZ with it and it just works. This is the best antenna on the market, and is made out of the best materials available. If anyone is selling you a screwdriver for less, it is because they have cut corners to create a cheaper product. In a world of Hi-Point pistols this is a Les Bauer 1911 or Glock. Ron is incredable when it comes to customer service also. 5 years later and he is still providing customer support as if I bought it last week.
W5FTV Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2013 13:17 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer And TOUGH  Time owned: more than 12 months
Simply put the performance of this antenna is superb! The five foot whip and standard capacity hat versions have exceded my expectations and hopes. That said, the most remarkable thing about the SA6-160 is it's TOUGH. True story - while backing my truck under an unfamiliar carport I committed the unthinkable and smacked the antenna into the corrugated cover. Nope, no damage to the antenna (well, I did bend the 3/4 inch threaded stainless piece at the base a tad!). Not even a scufff. But the carport cover was peeled back an inch or so! That's TOUGH!
KT0G Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2013 19:26 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Scorpion antenna has worked well for amateur and MARS operation. Because I have a camper in the bed of the truck the only place to mount was on the brush guard. Hooked up to my TS480HX the SWR is no higher than 1.5:1 from 3.5 to 28.9 mHz. If you are looking for a quality screw driver antenna the Scorpion is the one.
NV6R Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2013 03:10 Send this review to a friend
Has stood the test of time  Time owned: more than 12 months
Okay, this is an updated review. I posted my other review under my old call, AD7VH. I have been running the Scorpion for 4 years now. I live in the mountains at 7100ft above sea level and the Scorpion has performed perfectly at air temps (not windchill) of -40 and has functioned at temps of 120 degrees in the southern Nevada desert, too. I had it mounted on my Chevy truck, which seen some light off-roading, and now it is mounted on a modified Jeep Cherokee XJ, that sees SERIOUS off-roading; the Scorpion hasn't missed a beat.

I still get the great signal reports and talk a lot of DX on 75m -- with close to 100 countries on 75m and 11 on 160m. I have snapped many whips off in 4 years, obliterated several caphats, even had to use an EZ Out to remove a stud that snapped off in the coupler nut, but the Scorpion is just as good as the day I bought it. The high Q coil can be a pain on the low bands, since any nearby metal while traveling in a town causes the SWR to go wacky, but that high Q is responsible for the great signals, so I'm not complaining.

I you want an antenna that is plug-and-play and doesn't take some strategy in figuring out how to mount and match it, the Scorpion isn't for you. If you want the gold standard in mobile antennas, deal with the troubles of mounting it, the troubles associated with matching such a high Q antenna on the low bands, and the big signals that come with it, then the Scorpion is just what you have always dreamed of.

73, John, NV6R
AE7HW Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2013 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Best antenna ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
Ive had my SA6-160 for more than three years now. I have upgraded to extra class new call AE7HW and just now updating on eham. This antenna has not failed and I do not baby it. Currently mounted in back of my new truck it smacks trees in the woods been smacked by a round bale of hay and no issues. Ron takes care in his workmanship when building these Ive paid allot more for a less quality antenna. Save yourself a headache if you are going to run mobile and want a quality antenna buy one from Ron. I will be buying the 680 for my wife's jeep this summer.
G7IRU Rating: 5/5 Jun 26, 2012 10:43 Send this review to a friend
brilliant antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is another follow up to my previous two reviews since buying the antenna from Ron in March 2008.I run the antenna with either a 102" whip or a 60" whip depending on where i am driving (open roads or country lanes with low tree branches) and now also have the optional dual switching shunt coils which like the antenna is a work of art !!
I find that using this setup with a Turbo Tuner interface it works brilliantly with my Yaesu 857d and i'm looking forward to adding an amplifier to this antenna to see what it will really do !!
As for customer service i would rate Ron's service as at least a twenty out of ten unlike the service from the maker of the Turbo Tuner (brilliant product,rubbish customer service) which i would give zero out of ten.
i would highly recommend any of the Scorpion antennnas to any ham who wants a bullet proof mobile antenna and i will be buying another sa6-160 off of Ron as soon as funds allow without any hesitation.
VE7GDM Rating: 5/5 May 1, 2012 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The Scorpion works fantastically. To give you an example I was the only one on the BC Public Service Net to copy and relay for a Mobile Station in Prince Rupert. Prince Rupert is just across the way from the Alaskan panhandle. I am using it with a 102" whip and a 30" clover leaf top hat. One like K0BG has on his web pages. I am sure I will not be able to get to the highest HF bands with this configuration but does it ever work well on 75 and I am sure on 160. Oh, yes the antenna comes down for travelling. Not a lick of RF feedback with chokes as wound using K0BG's instructions. I had to add one turn to the matching choke you provided and all fell into place. Sure a thing of beauty! On forty it tunes beautifully for winlink Pactor III. The hat It is made from #14 aluminum wire all tig welded to a 6" dia. central hub. It is very light and does not overly effect the whip even in a wind. I do not know its limits yet. The vertical mast is bonded in many places to the skin and frame of the airstream. All known precautions were taken to minimize electrolyses. A Flex 3000 and 500watt amp run well in the unit. To the left of the Scorpion is my normal 39' vertical cut and tuned to 3756 KHZ. I wish I had a way of instantly comparing them but experience over time will have to do.
KE5ZW Rating: 5/5 Feb 7, 2012 12:04 Send this review to a friend
Excellent! Antenna, robust, easy to mount and use  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the Scorpion SA6-160 in 2009 after I saw it at the Dayton Hamfest. However, I use it not only for amateur radio, but for Army MARS and Public Safety HF service on my agency communications vehicle.

I had been looking for a mobile screw driver design HF antenna that had a better mounting set up. The huge pin design that Scorpion uses was what I needed. It is secure, robust and now I don't have to worry about it ending up sticking out of the windshield of the guy behind me.

Operationally, I run a 102 inch whip on the SA6-160 with a 16 turn shunt coil and that allows me to reach 2.3mhz freqs I have for public safety communications and the lower MARS freqs. I have not tried it on 160, yet.

Construction of the antenna is first class. I have the black version and so far have had no problems with the paint coming off.

I have a spare than I plan to use as a field deployed antenna. I hope to set it up soon.

Excellent antenna, no more expensive than the other high end HF mobile antennas.

Worth every penny.