Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Scorpion Antennas SA6-160 Help

Reviews Summary for Scorpion Antennas SA6-160
Scorpion Antennas SA6-160 Reviews: 14 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $899
Description: SA-6160 covers 10 through 160 meters.
Length retracted: 43 Extended: 65
3 inch diameter coil with 14 gage tinned copper wire wound at 10 TPI.
Mobile or backyard typical vswr 1.5:1 or less.
Antenna rated at 1500 watts PEP
Weight 18 Lbs
More info: http://www.scorpionantennas.com/antennas.html

You can write your own review of the Scorpion Antennas SA6-160.

AE7HW Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2010 20:08 Send this review to a friend
very happy!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
now that i have had ant on truck for a while thought i would do a update. just finished the 7qp party and had my logging program would not had crashed i know i would have finished better than i did but well see.i was getting 59 all over the country and was told by most stations i was a true 59 not a contest 59. my maine and new jersy contacts could not beleave i was mobile. i have since put on a 102" whip and performance is much better than before. 40m is awsome i will put this ant up against any other mobile on the market hands down

AD7VH Rating: 5/5 Nov 20, 2009 16:19 Send this review to a friend
None Better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This thing is built like a tank -- no other way to describe it. If you buy this antenna, get ready to make one hell of a mount for it. The way the Scorpion SA-6160 is built is one thing... the way that Ron makes the Scorpion look is a thing of beauty!

I have operated all bands from 160m-20m so far; the way I have it setup, it will not cover 17m and up anyway. On 160m my farthest contact so far was into western Kansas -- I am just outside of Ely, NV and I was only using 100w, too! I had trouble running my mobile amp as it kicks out at an SWR of 1.6:1; I ended up having to make another shunt coil for 160m.

Once I got the antenna matched for 160m, I fired up my 500w amp. Oh man, I was getting S9+20dB reports all over Colorado and even up into northern Washington. Conditions could have played a role in this, but they were not that great.

The real surprise came on 75m: I have been told by many of the group that I talk to, that the Scorpion is damn near as strong as my base. I have not tested this beyond 500 miles yet, so I cannot really say. I will continue to run it through it's paces and find out more.

Now, for 40m: on 40m it does an awesome job as well. I was working into Minnesota with a good signal... Not that this is a big deal normally, but from Nevada to Minnesota at 12pm PST is a very big deal.

I was pleasantly surprised at the performance on 20m, as this is where a lot of mobile antennas fail to perform. I will say the Scorpion is an excellent performer on 20m. I could go on about all of the DX I worked with it, but that is only half the story. I ended busting several pile-ups, which from the mobile is a feat; I don't give a damn how good conditions are! I found a frequency on 20m where the whole dang country was trying to call Guam... I just dumped in my call and got a response the first time. I was surprised to get an S9+10dB report. He could not believe that I was mobile.

I have had many people tell me that I have the best mobile signal that they have ever heard. As well as people not believing that I am mobile. True, I am running 500w, but this is still great performance. Once I have had the Scorpion SA-6160 about a year, I will do an updated review.

As for the 5 rating, what more needs to be said. The Scorpion SA-6160 is the best mobile antenna that I have every used, period! I don't think the other big brand is as good. If you think so you may be Hi;Question this if you want, but I am not going to.

73, John, AD7VH, east central Nevada

K7AED Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2009 12:21 Send this review to a friend
Quality antenna fabulous workmanship  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned one of Ron's SA-6160 for almost 2 years now and have had great results with it. The workmanship is far better than anything else on the market. I have the antenna mounted on the 5th wheel hitch base in the back of my Dodge 2500 4X4 truck. It gets quite a bit of abuse from the vibration and shaking when off road and has had no issues at all. I have owned 2 other brand name screwdriver antennas that both fell apart on my trucks within a year. Ron really stands behind the antenna as well, I broke the coax connector off when a tool box fell over in the back of the truck. Ron replaced it and went through the antenna to make sure there weren't any other problems. I highly recommend the antenna.

KA7KOQ Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2007 16:26 Send this review to a friend
a work of art..  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had an made a lot of mobil antennas, over the years... the SA-6160 it the most user friendly motorized antenna I've worked with.. the 160 Meter band is hard to work mobil, but this antenna makes it fun an easy, with a 100 watts... as I stated above, its a work of art... put together with care, an skilled hands.. the mount is well thought out, an I might add it's stainless with stainless fixtures...
ka7koq Bill