Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Scorpion Antennas SA-680S Help

Reviews Summary for Scorpion Antennas SA-680S
Scorpion Antennas SA-680S Reviews: 29 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $749
Description: SA-680S Shorty covers 10 through 80 meters.
Length retracted: 28, Extended: 36
3 diameter coil with 14 gage tinned copper wire wound at 10 Threads Per Inch.
Mobile or backyard typical vswr 1.5:1 or less.
Antenna rated at 1500 watts PEP
Weight 13 Lbs
More info: http://www.scorpionantennas.com/

You can write your own review of the Scorpion Antennas SA-680S.

VE9AA Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2017 13:07 Send this review to a friend
Ron makes a top notch product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had a chance to go to Arizona and asked to meet Ron when I was there a couple months ago. I promised him I just wanted to see the antenna in person and I would not take up any more of his valuable w/e time as I know he works long hours at his primary job and then making antennas on the side (which is almost another full time job, too!)

. What I got was a full tour of his shack, yard, antennas, gear and most importantly his machine shop/garage.

This antenna is a BEAST !

I have never seen such a well packed item. I dare say, unless a forklift ran over it, there was no chance it would get damaged in shipping.

He showed me a Breedlove electric tilt over mount in his shop and I HAD to have that, so when I got back home I ordered that from Gerry @ Breedlove as well.

I just mounted it to the roof of a MINI COOPER.

I left my old Diamond SD-330 installed on the rear hatch and put in an A/B coax switch. (real life here, no anecdotal reports)

There just is no comparison on ANY band.

I thought maybe they would get very close on 6m or 10m but nope....the SA-680S is the clear winner on every band, so the Diamond will be coming off in the near future when I have some spare time.

The one and only thing I had to change was the shunt coil. I made my own with a few more turns than the stock one as the SWR on 80m CW bottomed out at only 2.9:1....with my ever-so-slightly larger and 3 turn more shunt coil, I have it down to about 1.3:1 at 3525kHz (CW).

I put this down to the fact my antenna is raised up twice away from the roof. One on the roofracks, then again on the very large (tall) Breedlove electric tilt-over mount.

In any case, it only took me a few minutes to make and this is no slight on Ron or his workmanship whatsoever.

Also, the MINI does not present much of a real ground plane that most of cars or trucks would have, so I am doubly working against it, hi !

I am SURE I am going to love this antenna.

I spent the afternoon switching between antenna A vs. B and it's like turning on a 20dB preamp....I kid you not.

Already thinking about either making a 160m coil or buying one from Ron.

Thanks Ron. Couldn't be happier ! ! !

Mike VE9AA

KF5PEL Rating: 5/5 Sep 25, 2016 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Stellar Product - Great Customer Service  Time owned: more than 12 months
The following is an email sent by myself to Ron. I believe this fairly summarizes my experience.

Good morning Ron,
I wanted to let you know that I appreciate you quickly shipping both the cap hat mast and the machined part last week. Without your quick response, I and two friends could not have successfully participated in the Texas QSO party yesterday. Hands down I love my 680S and enjoy doing business with a company that knows how to deliver customer service and a stellar product. If you have a few minutes Id like to share our experience.

I (KF5PEL), Bill (W5WRL) and Curtis (WB5PYT) all work in the IT Infrastructure group at the same company, and are amateur radio operators. We started seriously planning to participate in the TX QSO Party (TQP) about two ahead of the TQP. It would be the first QSO Party for all of us.

It was a great 12 hours with two friends. We covered over 500 miles and some of the rarest counties in Texas (Loving, Pecos, Reeves, Culbertson, Jeff Davis, Presidio, Terrell, Crocket, Upton, Crane). We operated SSB only as only Bill, the eldest of the group, operates CW. All operations were on the 40M and 20M bands. During the 12hours of operation Saturday we scored around 111K, or 456 QSOs.

We had numerous contacts ask what we were running mobile. We shared operating time so I was not at the helm for all QSOs. The one person I spoke with commented that I was the loudest mobile signal he could hear and that I was working people he couldnt hear at all. Numerous other contacts commented that our mobile signal was much stronger than other contacts they had made. Id say about 30% of our contact were a 4x7 signal copy and they returned a 5x9 signal report. In other words, we had to pull about one third of the contacts out of the noise while they enjoyed an arm chair copy.

If it were not for the exceptional quality of the antenna we would not have enjoyed a successful weekend. Ive lost count how many times people have asked about the mobile setup. The scorpion antenna has been a great addition to our hobby.

KF5PEL Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2015 10:27 Send this review to a friend
Hands Down the BEST Mobile HF Antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Ive had the Scorpion 680-S five months. Installation is on a Chevy Silverado 1500 with arduous bonding from bumper to tailgate. Mounted using 3/16 steel bolted to wheel well and bed railing. Simply put if I can hear them I can work them with few exceptions. Reports are always excellent on 20M-12M. No issues checking into 40M stateside nets. I use a SS 102 whip (live in the desert). After installing and tuning the shunt coil the antenna will tune 80-12M with less than 1.5 SWR. Ive used another screwdriver type antenna with metal end caps and a plunger and can say that the 680-S is a better performer based on contacts made, signal reports and ability to tune any band with very low SWR. Since I live in a covenant controlled neighborhood I opted to focus my efforts on mobile HF. Mobile HF continues to be fun and challenging thanks to the 680-S antenna.

K7IXI Rating: 5/5 Aug 12, 2014 21:06 Send this review to a friend
Very Impressed!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After about five years, my old antenna developed several large cracks in the coil housing and corrosion had taken root. I've long lusted after a Scorpion, so I took the plunge and ordered a 680-S stainless. I should have bought this antenna right from the start. The workmanship and quality of components is outstanding, and the performance is equally impressive! If you're looking for an HF mobile antenna, do yourself a favor and get a Scorpion. You won't have to replace it in five years. If you do have a problem, Ron offers a lifetime warranty!
Bob K7IXI.

MM0TFU Rating: 5/5 Apr 29, 2014 16:56 Send this review to a friend
Top quality and performance  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently got bitten by the HF mobile bug, and after a while using a Yaesu ATAS-120, which isn't a bad little antenna, I decided to upgrade to something more robust and with better performance. The ATAS is a bit fragile and it doesn't like the rain. We get plenty rain here and no matter what I tried to do to waterproof it, it just seemed to soak up water. I believe the 120A might be a little better than the older model that I have.
After looking around at other antennas, I contacted Ron at Scorpion. He answered all the questions I had quickly via email and so I placed an order for a SA-680s with the hi-gloss Black Widow finish, also know as the "Shorty". It was delivered from Arizona to Scotland in around 5 weeks from the time of ordering, just as Ron promised. The packaging is top notch too, a heavy duty tube with wooden inserts and end caps.
The build quality of the antenna is amazing, but don't let the name "Shorty" fool you, this is a large and heavy antenna, and needs a serious mount. I bought a Scorpion fold-over mount from Breedlove Mounts in NC, which is very well designed and engineered.
I mounted the antenna on my pick-up truck (pictures on QRZ.com) and it just plain worked from the start. Ron had supplied me with a 5 foot heavy duty whip, which works great for 20m-10m, but isn't ideal for the lower bands. I have a 102" ss whip for the lower bands. I only use that when I'm stationary.
How does the antenna perform? The difference between the Scorpion and the ATAS is night and day. I have had comments like "unbelievable mobile signal" from Argentina, and "are you really mobile" from a station in Indonesia. I got a 58/59 real report from New Zealand.
I am very happy with the 680s and can highly recommend Scorpion Antennas.

GOLDTR8 Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2013 06:04 Send this review to a friend
3 years still fantastic antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have my shorty mounted on my 2008 Jeep Rubicon. This antenna has been off road for many miles and the only thing that happens to it is that it gets dirty like the rest of the jeep.

Its been bounced around in Utah, Colorado, and Michigan where I live.

I have worked Europe to Japan and Alaska in my little jeep with this fantastic antenna with only 100 watts.

I use an IC7000 with a Turbo Tuner and it works and works.

Thanks Ron for a fantastic produce that is built as tough as my Jeep.

Don
KD8NNU

AD5RQ Rating: 5/5 Sep 30, 2013 17:24 Send this review to a friend
Unbreakable ?  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
After an oil change at my Toyota place, the mechanic drove out, the SA-680-S hit the gate. The antenna bend down and twisted the crossbars on my Toyota 4Runner. The antenna was mounted on a 1 inch thick aluminum plate and stood vertical. After it hit the gate it was 45 degree off.The cross bars are made of heavy thick aluminum and very sturdy.
At first I thought the antenna is history. I tested it and it still went up and down and was still working perfectly.
The dealership paid for 2 new crossbars.
:) The antenna is so solid and build like a tank.
I can go through any pile up and work rare stations all over the world. In some cases the DX stations can hardly believe that I am mobile with just 100 Watts. I always thell them check me out on qrz.com. There you can see my Scorpion antenna.
Thank you Ron for such an outstanding product.
The antenna had just a minor scratch :)

AD5RQ Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2013 16:46 Send this review to a friend
This antenna makes me smile  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This antenna makes me smile. So far I could break through all big pile ups. I like to work DX and rare stations. When ever I hear a huge pile up I have to compete with the "Big Guns". I can work the DX station easy and very often they ask again if I am really mobil and how much power I use. Sometimes they tell me how unbelievable strong my signal is. Sometimes the DX station laughs that a mobil station just beat the big guns. :)
I only use 100 Watts and my antenna controller is the TurboTuner with my TS-480SAT. My SWR is always 1:1, exept on 80m it is 1:1.5. Check my call sign on www.qrz.com You can see my antenna set up.
People always look funny what that thing is on the roof of my car. I guess it looks like CIA fleet.
The antenna is built like a tank, super engineered and the support was great. Ron even called me after a few days if everything is OK with the setup or if I need additional help. He is just a great guy and good to talk with.
It cost a bit more the other screwdriver antennas, but it is worth it in my opinion. This antenna is "bulletproof" and I am happy when I can say I have a Scorpion Antenna.

K7ART Rating: 5/5 Apr 11, 2013 22:45 Send this review to a friend
It's a no joke HF beast!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I'm enjoying the shorty 10-80m. Beautiful robust design. Scorpion Antenna Company and Ron (NI7J) is a class act, a fading breed of Company Owners who is very customer oriented, Rons service is second to none. If you want a well-designed and constructed HF mobile antenna this antenna and the Companies owner deserve your consideration!

K2KWO Rating: 5/5 Apr 4, 2013 10:01 Send this review to a friend
flawless  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have the SA-680S screwdriver with a 102" SS whip on top. The antenna is mounted in the bed of my daily driver Ford Ranger. I had the Antenna for 3 years now of daily use 80 though 10M. this Antenna just perform flawlessly the whole time I have had it!
You get what you pay for in this example it's worth every dollar!

And yes I've own Hi-Q and others screwdrivers. The Scorpion line is true quality!

To know this Antenna is to own one.
just buy it and you'll save yourself money from trying other antenna's out there!

Sale's and support is Great too!
Call Ron,and just tell him your needs,or the setup you have, he'll get right back to you!

Let it be noted, K2KWO do recommend this antenna!