Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Scorpion Antennas SA-680S Help

Reviews Summary for Scorpion Antennas SA-680S
Scorpion Antennas SA-680S Reviews: 28 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $799
Description: SA-680S Shorty covers 10 through 80 meters.
Length retracted: 28, Extended: 36
3 diameter coil with 14 gage tinned copper wire wound at 10 Threads Per Inch.
Mobile or backyard typical vswr 1.5:1 or less.
Antenna rated at 1500 watts PEP
Weight 13 Lbs
More info: http://www.scorpionantennas.com/Mobile-Antennas_c_18.html

You can write your own review of the Scorpion Antennas SA-680S.

N5SWE Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2012 10:24 Send this review to a friend
2 years  Time owned: more than 12 months
My second review (first on 11/2/2010) Still the best of the best. Looks and performs as the day I installed it. You have tried the rest, now try the BEST! I use the MFJ 1924 screwdriver controller. The controller remembers your settings (turn counter). Couldnt be much easier.
I am a very happy camper! Thanks Ron!!

N7QZ Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2012 04:59 Send this review to a friend
Best mobile Antenna Ever  Time owned: more than 12 months
I wanted to wait for a full year before I wrote a review on the SA-680S to give it a fair an balanced review. So here goes It's great, it works in all conditions, going down the highway at 35 or 75 it works superb. The first day I got it, my first contact was Argentina bare foot, in my drive way signal report 5/9. I could talk all day about how good this antenna is but now lets talk about the customer service. Went to work one day and my grandson go ahold of my parts to the antenna and beat them to parade rest. I called Ron and let him know what happened he sent the replacement part right away (after a few chuckels from both of us). When I was installing the antenna we had many conversations on where to put it and I sent him pictures of my old mount to see if he thought it would hold the antenna, he said yes and the Toyota FJ looks like a diamond in the sky where it is mounted. So I guess you can surmise Ron is the very best customer service person in the world. I still receive and get 5/9 reports (band condition and etc in consideration) all the time after one year and probably will for another 10 or more. This Antenna has gone through some pretty tough conditions, low tree limbs, grand kids trying to climb on it etc. Like the old saying goes it takes a licken and keeps on ticken (timex watch commercial). If anyone wants an antenna that works on a vehicle this is the best antenna I could ever recommend. I would and will purchase more antenna's from Scorpion Antennas. My last comment is that the instructions for installation are very good and it is very easy to install, tune and keep looking great. JUST FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS, but if you get stuck on one of those gotcha problems CALL RON HE WILL HELP NO MATTER WHAT to get the problem solved.

KC2TN Rating: 5/5 Nov 30, 2012 05:24 Send this review to a friend
Superb mobile antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've owned the Scorpion 680S for a few years now and couldn't be happier with it. It's NOT a lightweight antenna in any sense of the word. But it IS a heavy weight in performance. I tried another brand screwdriver 1st and could never get it to work properly AND service sucked. After purchasing a mounting bar from RTL and installing on my Honda Ridgeline, the 680s has become ONE with my vehicle. You can literally grab the antenna and shake the entire truck, it is THAT solid. The mounting stud configuration also makes it easy to remove. I did have a slight problem recently after years of removing the antenna for car washes, parking garages etc....I called Ron and discussed the problem with him. A day and a half later I had new parts delivered to my door. The parts fit perfectly and I'm back operating again. WHAT SERVICE! It's comforting to know there are still people out there that return phone calls and provide top notch service! If I ever have to purchase another mobile antenna, I'd purchase another Scorpion for this reason alone! Not to mention the performance is also GREAT! I only run 100 Watts with an IC7000 coupled with the BetterRF tune controller. I'm already 3/4 of the way to DXCC Mobile. Pics can be seen at "https://picasaweb.google.com/108545754879106270410/HondaRidgeline"
Thanks Ron for a GREAT antenna and the service you provide!

N5REO Rating: 5/5 Nov 28, 2012 12:41 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Super antenna. A great American made product.

Thanks! Ron

K4ELO Rating: 5/5 May 16, 2012 05:58 Send this review to a friend
Super antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second Scorpion antenna. First one was a full size 680 used for portable work, so I knew what quality to expect. Ron doesn't disappoint. This has to be the highest quality, best built mobile antenna you can buy.

Mounted my 680S black widow to the bed rail in my Nissan truck using a mount from REP Designs.
You can see pictures on my qrz page.
Compared to the temporary 40M hamstick I was using, the difference is night and day.
My typical report is 59.

Here's an interesting test: qso with a station in NC.
From inside the house 100w to a super loop at 40' off the ground. Outside in the truck 200w to the Scorpion.
He saw no difference in signal strength. S9 from both.

Super service from Ron, as usual. You can't go wrong with a Scorpion.

KA8DJN Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2012 17:21 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A great antenna. I purchased the shorty antenna in the black. When it arrived I was overcome by its size, looking at pictures just didn't prepare me for the size of the antenna.
I had several emails and conversations with Ron when I first ordered it trying to get some ideas on how I was going to mount it on my F450. I finally came up with an idea mounting it on the truck bed lip (although after a few weeks I had to redesign the mount for strength).
I finally got it going the way I wanted and must tell you that it worked from day one. I wish I had bought one earlier instead of wasting my money on so called HF mobile antennas. For what I spent over the years trying those so called HF mobile antennas I could have bought two or more of the Scorpions.
Ron was a pleasure to work with and answered a lot of my stupid questions. 40 meters has always been a favorite band for me as well as 20 and now with this antenna its a breeze.
The only thing I added, which I feel would be nice addition from Ron is I added marks on the antenna so that while I was driving I could tune it within a close swr range, visually (I can actually see the antenna in my side mirror). Once within that range the radio would do the rest. I'm running a Kenwood TS480S in my truck.
I could go on and on but I will say that if your serious sbout running HF in the mobile, SCORPION is the way to go. A little planning and a strong mount will go a long way.
Dave
KA8DJN

KJ4NUN Rating: 5/5 Jan 11, 2012 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have had this antenna for about 9 months now.
Since day one it has just plain worked and worked very well!! Before this antenna I was using another screwdriver with average reports.After taling with Ron at lenght several times I decided to purchase one with the cap hat and mast.It arrived the packing, well read the instructions on his web site or it will take alot of extra time and effort other wise a tank could run over the thing and not hurt it. I did my install and did some testing before I took off my there antennas 3 full S units above the other screwdriver, Then I put up a Ham stick (no comperision). After this install everything changed, The antenna is built like a tank just like advertised. You will have to have a very good mount for it It is also very easy to tune, I get close by listening to the noise level then tweak it in with the swr meter.
It has survived the hurricane and driving rains and many low tree limbs MY fault.I tell you that most of the time when i check in on the Nets I belong too the always ask if Im at home or mobile most people cant tell by the signl strenght.I have no reason to boast or bragg just telling the truth.I would sugest that any one that is serious about their mobile station do your self a favor give Ron a call...
Thanks Ron for one of best antennas ever made and the fantasitc cust service you provide..
KJ4NUN

KB6HRT Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2011 09:24 Send this review to a friend
5 years and happy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Went to a Hamfest 5 years age in AZ and saw the SA-680 and this thing was built so well and looked so good I just had to have one!
I brought the antenna, even though I had a good antenna on my truck ! I also met a great friend Ron Douglas. I stored my Sa-680 till I could think of a project I an Ron could do together using the SA-680 on. I came up with a vertical on the roof of my house so I could hear my ham friend on 75 meters in there Big Rigs in the mornings better, it worked! vertical to vertical works better. 2 years later brought a 0-Five 43' vertical
used it instead of the SA-680 but did not get the results I was looking for so after a years I called Ron and asked him if he would help me install my Sa-680 in series with the Zero-5 vertical, we did and thats a match made in heaven IT WORKS!
Its like 1+1 =4 on the low bands 160-80-40, now with all the sun spots I have shortened the Zero-5 to 27' and the system still
works 10-160 but works best on 80-40 - 20 -17-15 . I have a ICOM 7600 an a PW-1 so I can compare
my antenna systems visually an audio wise at a glance an this antenna system WORKS! I again would like to thank Ron an Tom at Zero 5 for there knowledge and help on these projects! It would be a perfect world if everybody was like these to gentleman! .................KB6HRT

GOLDTR8 Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2011 06:03 Send this review to a friend
Oned over 1 year now  Time owned: more than 12 months
Since we are now in winter conditions in MI, I wanted to post that the antenna works great even in the cold, snow and rain.

I have had this antenna for over one year now and it has never missed a beat.

I have built a second mobile in my Chevy truck and do not have a scorpion yet so it allows me to compare my Jeep with the Shorty and the hamsticks. Well all I can say is that I want to use the jeep as I can hear and be heard. Where the Chevy does not hear as well and I am not heard as well. I have done all the bonding and so on so both vehicles are proper installation.

I will be purchasing another Antenna for Christmas, I just need to know Ron's backlog and figure out my next mounting for the Chevy.

Mobile is fun when you have a good antenna compared to "dummy loads on a stick"

Don KD8NNU

KF4OOP Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2011 11:07 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this Black Widow model for a little over a year and get nothing but compliments everytime I key up. Mounted on a stainless steel table at 42 inches above road level it tunes 1.2 to 1.5 with the Icom 7000. Super performance and would highly recomend this antenna to anyone that demands top shelf products. A little expencive, but you get what you payfor twice over. Exceptional craftsmanship, Ron makes one superb antenna.