Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Scorpion Antennas SA-680 Help

Reviews Summary for Scorpion Antennas SA-680
Scorpion Antennas SA-680 Reviews: 88 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $849
Description: SA-680 covers 10 through 80 meters.
Length retracted: 39 Extended:57
3 inch diameter coil with 10 gage tinned copper wire wound at 6 Threads Per Inch.
Mobile or backyard typical vswr 1.5:1 or less.
Antenna rated at 1500 watts PEP
Weight 18 Lbs

You can write your own review of the Scorpion Antennas SA-680.

KD8YVC Rating: 5/5 Jan 10, 2018 15:01 Send this review to a friend
Awesome Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought this antenna because of the reviews I read and the customer service that you get. I have had a few Tarheels in the past and had good success with them ;however, I felt the need to try the best in some others opinions. The correct bonding and mounting of the antenna is a must to get optimal results and after I completed this task I can sum this up(The best antenna that I have ever owned on my Chevy 3500 duramax dually). I have had this antenna installed for a week and yesterday on 40 meters made contacts to Brasil and Panama. Today while I was traveling to work on 20 meters I made contacts to Italy all on 100 watts on my Icom 7000. If any of you want to contact me any time feel free to do so.

KC7YRA Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2017 07:40 Send this review to a friend
Scorpion = Lightning in a bottle  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A couple of months ago I purchased my second SA-680 after owning my original one for 5+ years. Nothing is wrong with the first, I just needed one for my car.

Sending off a few emails, Ron remembered me from before (Rare state plus odd questions regarding build quality) and was happy to work with some of my particular needs. I had a few issues on my end, but everything came together just fine.

It took a couple weeks for the antenna to arrive. During that time, if I had questions, he was always happy to answer emails and keep me up to date on what was happening. Since he and his wife work full time jobs, it's understandable that such a fine product takes time.

It arrived beautifully packed. Removing everything per his instructions, the antenna came out without issue. Just like my old Scorpion, I had ordered this new one in black as well. Over the years this coloring has improved quite a bit, it is much shinier and less prone to fading than the old version. It also sheds ice and mud more easily.

I did notice a significant change with the base mounting scheme. Older versions had a mounting stud which you affixed to the vehicle, then the antenna sat on top of that for easy removal. This new version did away with that and instead has a completely Delrin (Acetal) base piece which is threaded for the 3/4 inch mounting thread. I'm not going to lie, I kinda wrinkled my nose at this. I'm a believer in stainless and a lot of it.

Doing some math, I was able to calculate that the Delrin threads had a pull strength which was at least comparable to that of steel, and depending on the density, exceeded steel. The pull strength of 3/4 inch all-thread is less than this piece of "plastic". Ron has never steered me wrong before, so I plowed ahead with mounting. I bought a quick disconnect from Breedlove, which works great BTW.

Mounting the antenna was fairly straightforward. It is large and exerts a significant torsional load on whatever holds it. Seeing as I was mounting this to a unibody family car without a traditional frame, I carefully designed and welded up a custom mount which can transfer the force to safe places.

With the lines properly choked I set about to tune everything. Results were wonky to say the least. I've been playing HF mobile for 20 years, so I pretty quickly determined what the issue was. Because the base is all Delrin, there was no DC path between the coax shield and the rest of the vehicle. Since I had taken care to choke the feedline and control lines, there was essentially only half of an antenna. I used a wide strap of braid to jumper across from base to antenna. Keep in mind this isn't to make up for deficiencies in ground-plane or RF problems. This was a DC ground which facilitated connection of the antenna to the vehicle and allowed the shunt coil to do its thing. I chose to manufacture a custom mount as high as possible so that the RF return path is short, as opposed to just using a trailer hitch.

At any rate, everything tuned up perfectly from there on. I control it with a Tunematic auto tuner, so I can sail down the interstate and QSY with reckless abandon. If you are looking for an antenna which will survive rough treatment, perform exceedingly well, and have the best technical support imaginable, save your pennies and pick up a Scorpion. I've broken (or watched being broken) nearly every commercial HF antenna made over the past few decades. The Scorpion is the only antenna which seems impossible to kill.
WN2C Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2017 22:04 Send this review to a friend
Best Screwdriver Antenna Out There.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this antenna on my truck for 5 years and it has worked without a hitch every day. It was truly plug and play once I mounted it and grounded it and has given me many hours of enjoyable HF QSO's. I have had other screwdriver antennas, even a Don Johnson. I have been doing HF mobil for the better part of the last 20 years and this is the best antenna I have ever used. Why did I buy this antenna versus all the other screwdriver antennas out there? Well first it is built like a tank. All stainless steel and Delrin makes for one tough antenna. 10 gauge wire at 6 turns per inch. A coil 'Q' of better than 300 in the assembled antenna.
Second is the warranty: LIFETIME WARRANTY
He backs his Antennas 100% ! Think about that...
Never having to pay for a repair or another antenna purchase again!
Third is Ron's responsive customer service. If you call or email him you will get a response very quickly. Sometimes as soon as you hang up the phone he is calling you back like he did me!!
Thanks Ron, you have made HF mobil fun for me again!!
K7EDZ Rating: 5/5 Aug 5, 2017 00:14 Send this review to a friend
FANTASTIC  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my Scorpion SA680 two years ago used as this was my first screwdriver antenna I emailed Ron and after explaining I purchased it used he still helped me get it installed and setup on my car. last week the motor slowed down and started making noise I called Ron and he said bring it over, I took it by his shop and dropped it off and a few days later he called and had it repaired. He rebuilt the antenna and when I asked how much for the repair he said it has a lifetime warranty and no charge. Ron gives Fantastic service and a warranty equal to none.Thanks Ron.
WW4UW Rating: 5/5 May 19, 2017 21:02 Send this review to a friend
Awesome!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been a mobile Ham for 15 years plus. I've always liked the three inch coil motorized antenna. I found the Scorpion antenna on the internet. Called Ron and inquired about it, he was very helpful and answered all my questions about the antenna. I really liked the # 10 wired wound coils,the PL 239 antenna connection, the heavy duty base mounting requirements. The antenna is built to last, stainless hardware. The antenna is packaged very well for shipping. It's a real work of art to behold when you get it unpacked. You see why is packaged the way it is.

The install was a dream on my 2017 Ram 2500, I installed it right behind the cab in the bed of the truck center mount. It all went together no problem. One of the easiest installs I've done!!! Getting awesome reports with my IC 7000, 500 watts into the Scorpion 680.

You cannot go wrong with this antenna!!! Built to perform and last forever!!
WA6KDH Rating: 5/5 May 7, 2017 20:11 Send this review to a friend
WA6KDH  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
A few months ago I decided to get back into HF mobile operations after I retired. After doing research on E Ham and other sources, it seemed clear that the Scorpion Antenna system was the best alternative. I phoned and talked to Ron about the 680 and 680s. After some deliberations I wound up purchasing a used 680S from a private party. The antenna did not come with a 6 foot whip so Ron was able to supply that, a controller, and a new shunt coil at a very fair price. After installation in the bed of my pickup, I had a mishap resulting in a broken coax connector. My fault.
Long story short I shipped the 680s to Ron and he had it returned to me in six days including shipping time. The antenna works great (before and after repairs) and he made the repair at no charge. Now that is great customer service. Thanks Ron
In March and April of this year I made a 5,000 mile round trip from CA to Texas that included numerous side trips. The 680S worked great on the trip with contacts on 20m and 40m. Dust storms, rain storms, etc. no problems. Got a few second looks from the border patrol along the Rio Grande in Texas.
K1USA Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2017 06:42 Send this review to a friend
World Class Nothing to Compare it to.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I give this antenna a 5 because I can't give it a 10! A bit of history is Mike and I were driving west on interstate 44 between St Louis, MO and our home in the Fort Leonard Wood area. I was talking to my brother Mike in Virginia on Mike's Scorpion that was mounted on Mike's truck at the time. I told my brother hold on someone was calling me. The station was in VK land (Australia) he ask me if I was talking on a scorpion antenna in the mobile. I said how did you know and he said he had two of them and he could tell. The next week I had Mike's antenna mounted on my truck. I have some very interesting QSO lot's of them DX from my truck in the past year or so. As my friend Bill always tell me the proof is in the pudding. My proof is in my logbook.
KF5DGD Rating: 5/5 Apr 6, 2017 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Solid antenna and customer support  Time owned: more than 12 months
After more than 2 years of gathering components and dealing with a layoff, I finally installed my HF rig and SA-680 in my truck, only to have it "apparently" die on me while attempting to perform initial matching and tuning.

I emailed Ron NI7J, describing my issue, along with a few photos of my setup. Within 12 hours, I had a response with suggestions, and when that didn't work, Ron called me and within 20 minutes, had me up and running! He also gave me a few suggestions for improving my setup.

I spent quite a bit of time researching HF mobile antennas, and firmly believe in the "Buy Once, Cry Once" philosophy when it comes to purchasing quality gear. Ron's fast and attentive customer service, along with a well-made product, have made me a customer for life.
K9UAV Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2016 18:46 Send this review to a friend
Incredible Customer Service  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I needed a portable for my first home antenna. Something I could set up and take down. This antenna is incredibly well built. I have an eight band counterpoise ring for 10,12,15,17,20,40,60,and 80 meters.

As a newbie, Ron was more than happy to talk to me on the phone about tuning an antenna so I learned a lot during setup.

My SWRs are all where they need to be and I have no trouble making contact from here in Nebraska to a coast. Today I talked to Jamaica using 100w. 2000 miles on a vertical that is only 6 feet off the ground. Not too shabby! I can't imagine how well the ground plane would be if this were attached to a vehicle.

Thanks Ron for making such a great product! The antenna is absolutely the best!
KF4ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2016 05:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Mobile Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have owned and used several of the 'screwdriver' design mobile antennas over the last 20 years. They all worked to some extent, but the design from Scorpion is far superior in design and implementation. They have shown excellent post sales customer service. While there may be a wait for delivery the product is extremely well packages for delivery. Assembly is straight forward. I encountered no issues. The antenna performs well, much better than I expected from a truck mounted mobile. I do recommend that one of the automatic controllers be added to make the mobile operation hands-free and safer for the operator.