Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Scorpion Antennas SA-680 Help

Reviews Summary for Scorpion Antennas SA-680
Scorpion Antennas SA-680 Reviews: 79 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $899
Description: SA-680 covers 10 through 80 meters.
Length retracted: 39 Extended:57
3 inch diameter coil with 10 gage tinned copper wire wound at 6 Threads Per Inch.
Mobile or backyard typical vswr 1.5:1 or less.
Antenna rated at 1500 watts PEP
Weight 18 Lbs
More info: http://www.scorpionantennas.com/antennas.html

You can write your own review of the Scorpion Antennas SA-680.

K8HGY Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2014 08:38 Send this review to a friend
add on 160 coil  Time owned: more than 12 months
160 mtr Add on coil will give you excellent performance on any 80 mtr antenna. Just need a longer inductor( 15 turns) for 160 mtrs. works great with Scorpion antennas and other mobile antennas

NS3F Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2014 03:52 Send this review to a friend
Ice and QRM  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just an FYI, never 100% happy with my automatic antenna controllers (2 to date of different flavors) for my IC-7000 in a 4WD Toyota Tacoma. Once they were installed and bugs worked out always gave me a hard time at the most inappropriate times. Don't get me wrong, I'm in love with technology but darn-it make my life less stressful.

Now for going on three weeks and lots of use my new controller by the name of TARGETTuner from West Mountain Radio has to be the sexist install yet. Not one issue or hangup period! Easy to install and not radio dependent unless you wish memory fast access then you will need an interface cable between the controller and radio from West Mountain.otherwise its fully independent. Hope it hold up to Scorpions standard that I've come to expect.

I'm amazed at Scorpions quality - any other antenna (I've had three motorized over the years) by now would of had to have its motor and drive gears replaced from the amount of use (dare I say abuse) I've put it through.

With clear ice 1/2" thick on windshield, doors, just about everything and having to chisel open the door I started motoring down the road a winter or so back. Second mindfully I flipped the rig on only to hear a pop and lots of crashing ice onto the road. You know the words that flash before you when stupid stuff just happens to us good guys and the ringing from the QRM from the XYL reminding of you having to tell them to "NEVER, EVER DO THIS" when things are frozen outside and your staying home to play radio and she has to go to work in your 4WD doesn't help things either ;)

I pulled over to see what the damage was and by God NOTHING! Couldn't open doors, tailgate, cap tailgate window but this bloody antenna cracked the ice off its self and to this day is still 100% sexy!!! The last controller must of had a 50 amp slow blow fuse is all I can say.

Now if Scorpion Antennas made cars, oh yea!

Spence, NS3F - Never Scare 3 Females in Delaware

VK2HDX Rating: 5/5 Oct 29, 2014 20:20 Send this review to a friend
Fantistic Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi all
I have been using this antenna for three months now it is without a doubt the best mobile antenna i have ever used. While driving in the middle of the city in Sydney i was able to make contact with a UK station G2YT he couldn't believe i was a mobile station. I am only running 100watts with a Kenwood 480 radio. The other great thing about scorpian is the customer service I must have emailed Ron about 20 times with questions about the antenna and the installation and got a reply every time nothing was a problem, he even sourced a cheaper shipping option and when the antenna was shipped from the USA i got it in Sydney Australia 4 days later. If you are thinking of buying a mobile antenna look no further than the Scorpian 680 in the three months i have owned the antenna i have had over 200 contacts all overseas

Paul; VK2HDX

AB1OC Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2014 20:23 Send this review to a friend
Top notch mobile HF antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just completed the installation of a Scorpion SA-680 antenna in my Ford F-150 truck. I used a fold over bed bound from Breedlove mounts to complete my installation. I also spent a good bit of time properly grounding and bonding the body and exhaust on the truck. I am using the SA-160 with Scorpion's Cap Hat and 3 ft rod combination. I am using an Icom IC-7000 transceiver running 100w out to complete the setup. You can see pictures and more information about my installation on our blog at stationproject.wordpress.com.

The results that gotten with the Scorpion SA-680 have been outstanding. I am particularly happy with the antenna's performance on 80m and 40m. I am routinely receiving 59+ reports on 80m and 40m from US stations and 57 or better reports from DX stations on all bands.

I choose the SA-680 because of its potential to be very efficient and also for its power handling capacity (I am planning to add a 500W amplifier to the setup in the near future). The mechanical quality of the antenna is excellent. Also, Ron at scorpion antennas was very helpful in getting the installation of the antenna right. I also spent a lot of time on Alan's mobile HF website K0BG.com which is a tremendous source of good information on mobile HF equipment and installation.

If you are planning a high-performance mobile HF installation, I would recommend a close look at the SA-680.

K2QY Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2014 07:49 Send this review to a friend
Bullet proof...Saved my car!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have been doing HF mobile sporadically for over 30 years having used many different antennas by different manufacturers. By far, the best I have ever used is my Scorpion 680. I always receive excellent signal reports. Many times the stations I am working can not believe I am mobile. I am using a Tar Heel fold down trailer hitch mount, cut down and modified to put this beast on safely. Folding it back, it also works very well as a NVIS antenna. My rig is an Icom 7000 with the auto tune add on's by RF Tune.

This past winter while driving in a 3 lane traffic jam in upstate NY I was rear ended by a SUV on a slippery patch at about 2-3 miles per hour. The driver hit my Scorpion square on, and I immediately thought it would be toast. But on inspection, he had bent the Tar Heel mount about 10 degrees, and not a scratch on the 680! His vehicle....not so lucky. His entire grill was smashed and the hood crumpled. These antennas are BULLET PROOF. I guess that's why the military uses them. I was stopped once at our local airport by a TSA agent who wanted to look at my setup as they were using the same antenna.

When you decide to try mobile HF at this level, definitely spend some time looking at K0BG's web site. He is the guru on mobile HF. He has positive comments regarding the quality of the Scorpion line.

Finally, I will say that Ron offers excellent service and advice. He actually called me within minutes of my sending an e-mail requesting a bit of advice.

Bottom line: Excellent service for an excellent product!

John Fritze Jr
Hudson Div. Asst. Director
Twitter: @k2qy

N3ETA Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2014 23:06 Send this review to a friend
Still great after 6 Years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'm back with an update on my Scorpion SA-680. It's been mounted on my 2005 4Runner for 6 1/2 years now. It spent almost 6 of those years within blocks of the Pacific Ocean and the last 8 months in the colder wetter climate of the Pacific Northwest. and its still like new.still works like the day I first installed it.
A couple of days ago. Do to my own stupidity while reinstalling it on the 4Runner after removing it so I could have some repair work completed on my car. I twisted off the SO 239 (I think the mechanic might have stepped on the PL259 and warped it...well... that my story and I'm sticking to it) So i called Ron Douglass at scorpion up and told him of my problem. Ron explained in detail what I would need to do to fix it If I didn't want to incur the shipping cost and time to send it back to him in Az. Well after a detailed explaination of what would need to be done I figured this was within my meager capabilities. So he said he would send me everything I needed to complete the repairs. (He even including a new shunt coil which wasn't technically bad just a bit oxidized from the salt air) Well was I ever surprised when about an hour latter I got an email from the Post Office saying my parts had shipped priority mail. Not only is this an unbelievably well built antenna but you could not ask for better support and service. My hat is off to Scorpion and Ron Douglass. I can, without any reservation at all tell you that if your in the market for a screwdriver for mobile or fixed operation (Yes he offers them for both) you really need to consider a Scorpion. I don't think you could make a better choice. For quality, service and support. They really are the best.

N0EF Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2014 12:21 Send this review to a friend
This is a solidly built mobile antenna that works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Since I spend my winters just 20 miles from the Scorpion Antenna shop, I asked Ron if he would allow me to personally take delivery of my SA-680. He welcomed the idea and offered a tour of his shop. The product was finished when promised, and the tour was enlightening. Ron is one particular fellow! His shop is fully equipped and clean as can be. He saw that my choice of mounts would require a bit of custom machine work to fit perfectly into my truck and offered to give me a hand. He gave me pointers on where to locate some grounding straps and insisted I call him if other questions would come up. I had a few questions and he pointed out web sources that would give me answers I needed. I can say that the antenna works completely as promised. I compare it to a set of Hustler antennas I used years ago, and can say the performance and ease of use of the SA-680 is much better. I encourage you to check out a few pictures of my setup on my N0EF QRZ web page. I would recommend the product to anyone.

WY0A Rating: 5/5 Feb 24, 2014 18:33 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After using several other makes of screwdriver antennas with not so great results, I purchased my SA-680 over 2 and 1/2 years ago and have had nothing but excellent results. If you are looking for an antenna that is sturdy,well built and will perform day in and day out, look no further, this is the antenna for you!! I have had several conversations with Ron and his advice and knowledge regarding screwdriver antennas can't be beat.. Thanks for a great antenna!!

WB5VUH Rating: 5/5 Jan 18, 2014 18:54 Send this review to a friend
Very pleased with all aspects  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having used a screwdriver-type HF mobile antenna for several years, I knew how well they performed - I thought - until I bought the SA-680. It has surpassed my previous history and I am very pleased with its looks, performance, craftsmanship, and without a doubt, the person behind building the antenna. Ron has contributed a lot of his time, talent, ability, and personality building this fine antenna. I can't say enough nice things about using it and the signal reports its getting. I give it a 10+ !!!

N7GCO Rating: 5/5 Nov 4, 2013 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased this antenna in August and installed it on my truck. With this antenna, I won the mobile SSB Salmon Run Contest in September, making over 400 contacts in less than 30 hours. I work a number of foreign countries every week.

The workmanship and quality of this antenna are outstanding. The performance is remarkable.

It is a fantastic antenna and I recommend without reservation.