Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Mobile & Accessories | Scorpion Antennas SA-680 Help

Reviews Summary for Scorpion Antennas SA-680
Scorpion Antennas SA-680 Reviews: 65 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $849
Description: SA-680 covers 10 through 80 meters.
Length retracted: 39” Extended:57”
3 inch diameter coil with 10 gage tinned copper wire wound at 6 Threads Per Inch.
Mobile or backyard typical vswr 1.5:1 or less.
Antenna rated at 1500 watts PEP
Weight 18 Lbs
More info: http://www.scorpionantennas.com/antennas.html

You can write your own review of the Scorpion Antennas SA-680.

N5PI Rating: 5/5 May 18, 2013 11:35 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just installed the SA-680 on my 1993 Bronco. The shipping was fast, Ron's great to respond quickly to any questions, and the antenna is very well built. I've installed other mobile antennas over the years and they were really not worth the effort. I decided to purchase this antenna because I wanted an antenna that works without any hassels. I'm too old or lazy to pull over and switch coils, change plugs etc. and it really is not safe anymore to do so on the interstate or rest areas . Addtionallly, it takes too much time for me. I read all of the instructions, K0BG's website, gathered all the things for the install and took my time. All of the reviews are correct and the main point I want to make is that taking your time and installing this antenna correctly is worth the effort. I can't say that with respect to other antennas I've owned. Thanks, Ron, for an outstanding experience.

N0JDP Rating: 5/5 Mar 21, 2013 14:29 Send this review to a friend
best antenna ive seen to date  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put the scorpion antenna on my gasoline tanker up here in ND.in july of 2011 and drive 10,000 miles a month in a 300 mile radius of Minot ND.it gets anywhere from -40 below to a 100 above in temperature and the antenna has worked excellent,in the beging of my instalation i had some troubles with swr but it led back to grounding whitch was my fault,Ron at scorpion worked me through my grounding issues and problems fixed,i love the s-o 239 connector on the antenna and the stainless steel construction,the antenna is rock solid and highly recommend this antenna 73,s Kirk.........

WA1MLA Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2013 08:18 Send this review to a friend
Excellent mobile HF antenna!BUILD LIKE A TANK , Best ever.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This is a well built and well designed antenna.
All Stainless Steel construction.
The installation was very easy to the point that I was surprise it worked the first time I tried it.
The model SA-680 I use works so well that if I can hear a station 10 to 80 meters I can work them. Very satisfied!
What I can hear I can work.Good signal report.
It is still working absolutely great.

2E1RDX Rating: 5/5 Jan 26, 2013 07:24 Send this review to a friend
Wow what an Antenna  Time owned: months
This thing is built like nothing else !!! it's a work of art
I have it mounted on a small Rover 25 on the Tow Bar bracket I have done some bonding but need to do more when the weather improves
I have the 6ft whip for 10/12m below that I use a 7ft Stainless steel CB whip this thing just rockes on 40m Last night I worked
EY8AR, VK7AC, EA8DO, 7X2ARA, 6W/F6IRS/P, and CO6LI who I worked whilst driving home the antenna is so well made I was driving with the 9ft Whip on on 40m on 20m KP4AYA, YV5ESN, YV5JM, N4TSC, CO6LC, so I am one happy Dxer this antenna is the one to have
Ian 2E1RDX/M

K6VWE Rating: 5/5 Oct 31, 2012 12:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performing, well made antenna  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I installed a SA-680 this past summer just before embarking on a five week driving trip to the west. The antenna performed beautifully during the trip and I made many contacts (while my wife drove) all over the US and Europe. I was especially pleased to work 3D2C on Conway Reef, which was a new entity for me. I am using the antenna with an ICOM IC-7000 and the screwdriver controller from Better RF.

This antenna is very heavy duty and requires a sturdy mount as recommended by Ron in the instruction manual. Mine is mounted just to the side of my minivan on a 2x2, L-shaped square tube which fits in a 2" id square sleeve that is welded to the trailer hitch mount under the vehicle. With this arrangement I can remove the antenna mount easily should I ever need or want to.

The instruction manual contains all of the information necessary to unpack and install the antenna. Product support by Ron is excellent. Even though he has a full time day job, he manages to respond to emails or phone calls very promptly.

I highly recommend the SA-680.

N2GLF Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2012 17:09 Send this review to a friend
Great Anetnna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I really can't add any additioal attributes to what has already been said by others about the SX-680, at the time of this posting there were 54 posts all giving it a 5...that about sums it up.

Before I had a picture of my mobile station on my QRZ site I returned home from a long trip making lots of contacts while my brother-in-law drove. After returning home I found a QSL card from a guy 'I did not contact' in my mail box, he wanted to know what kind of antenna I was using for my mobile station. I've enjoyed working a lot of DX stations around the world.

I've had my SX-680 for over 3 years and have never had a problem with it, I use it with a Kenwood 480HX and I use the Kenwood standard hand mic.

If you look up quality in the dictionary you should see a picture of this antenna.

Jerry

KC7YRA Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2012 19:54 Send this review to a friend
I'm quite impressed and that doesn't happen often  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started off my Scorpion adventure by calling Ron on the phone and very bluntly asking him, "how soon will your antenna fail in my daily driving environment?". I went on to tell him how I (and my buddy) have both had catastrophic antenna failures over the past years, from almost every major screwdriver manufacturer.

Ron's response was, "I think the antenna will hold up just fine, but if not, return it to me". That was all it took to have 2 of them on the way to Wyoming.

It took around 2 weeks for the order to ship. The whole time, Ron was in near constant communication via both e-mail and phone calls. We wanted to have the mounts ready to go and that required some answers from Ron. He was ALWAYS happy to talk and I don't think I had a phone call with him that lasted under 30 mins, even on Sunday. He is a very bright feller who cares about understanding his customers needs.

When the antennas arrived, they were packed EXTREMELY well. There is actually a multi page instruction list for removing the antenna from the shipping tube. It was comical to watch all of the screws and wood plugs slowly fall away as we dove in.

Once the antennas were out, they were amazing. Surprisingly heavy. They are a work of art and we sat there in awe for awhile.

Mounting was straight forward and with our previous questions answered by Ron, it went smoothly. I am a welder on the side and it was no problem to make up robust mounts. Remember, these antennas are quite large and impart a very large torsional load on the mount. Take your time and make it right THE FIRST TIME.

We have had them mounted now for around a month. I had a few connection problems that originated from me loosening things I perhaps should not have. Ron was right there on the phone and E-mail, helping me solve the issues. He even explained how to take the antenna apart to diagnose the issues if I wanted. I am a very mechanical person and have no issue with breaking my new toys LOL. I was very shocked that a company would tell a customer how to look into the mechanical working of their product! How many times have we seen the "opening this case will void warranty" sticker? To me, it shows that Ron is not afraid to let people see inside this creation.

With Ron's help, I got the small issues resolved and back on the air. I have had some very good contacts from 17-80 meters.

Best of all, we have already given these antennas a mechanical workout. Hundreds of interstate/city street/dirt road/jeep trail miles. I have extended the antenna all the way up to 80 meter use and sailed down the interstate WELL in excess of the speed limit, in an attempt to get a mechanical failure. Nope, no problem. Ron recommends the parking of the antenna if you are not using it, but like I said, I want to test things to their max!!!

And perhaps my final praise (for this review anyway) is the quietness while tuning. All other antennas I have used produce a vicious hash while running the motor. Not the Scorpion. I actually thought the antenna was not functioning the first time I hit the button, it is that quiet.

Yes the antenna is expensive, yes there is a bit of a wait to get one delivered. However, I believe the Scorpion to be the finest screwdriver antenna on the market today. The craftsmanship is second to none as is the customer service. I have no qualms recommending Ron or his antennas to anybody.

N7CXI Rating: 5/5 Apr 26, 2012 11:58 Send this review to a friend
18 months using the Black Widow version at home  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought the SA-680 "Black Widow" black-anodized version with the Home Install pack. At the time, we lived in a neighborhood with VERY fussy neighbors, but after putting the SA-680 on the roof of an outbuilding nestled back away from the main house, I don't think any of them noticed.

The antenna performed remarkably well. In the 90 days I used it before moving, I made at least several hundred contacts on 20m and up. I also made contacts on 40 and 75m. 75 wasn't as good as 20, but far better than I expected from that small an antenna.

After moving, I now have the antenna set up on a tripod in the front yard. We have five acres of flat land with a few trees at the new place, so I've strung a full sloper for for 160, and an OCF dipole for 80-10. The Scorpion SA-680 "Black Widow" with the "hamstick" radials still holds it's own on 20m as compared to the OCF dipole, and quite often performs better than the OCF dipole on 17m and up, depending on direction and conditions.
Let's put it this way: I like the antenna well enough that one of my plans for this spring/summer is to build a radial field for 40m and up, and mount the SA-680 on a pipe right above ground level. Who needs multiband trap verticals, when you can tune the antenna continuously?

A great long-term investment, in my book.

Jim Barber, N7CXI

N5SWE Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2012 17:33 Send this review to a friend
2 years and still best  Time owned: more than 12 months
You can NOT find a better mobile antenna.
Ron will spend all the time you need to make sure you are happy with it.
I am very very very impressed with the performance of this antenna. 2 years now.
Everyone who looks at it is impressed with the quality of construction.
This is the one!!!
I have the shorty model.

W2RIK Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2012 10:10 Send this review to a friend
The best there is!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I for one will buy a product based on what other people have to say about it. As you can see from Ron’s 5/5 rating, there are some very happy HAMS out there using his antenna. I bought my first Scorpion SA-680™ about three years ago and my very first contact was to Portugal from the Outerbridge Crossing which is a bridge that connects Staten Island, NY with New Jersey. I broke the pileup with my first call and that is all it took for me to be convinced that this is the best mobile antenna on the market and you will not find any better even for twice the cost.

I have been working HF mobile for quite a few years and started out using HamSticks. I then upgraded to a competitors screwdriver with a “lifetime warranty”. Yeah right! This fellow disappeared two years later. On the other hand, I have been in communication with Ron over the past few years and his tech support is paramount to anyone else in the industry. He will email or call you back and spend time working with you to resolve your problem. Earlier in this review I stated that three years ago I bought my first Scorpion SA-680™, last week I ordered my second one for another vehicle because they are just that good!